Question Car Seat help/questions 2000 Chevy Astro Van

P

peetahc

Hi friends,

I'm new to the forum, but my wife has been posting/reading here for years.

Here's my situation, followed by my questions:

We currently own a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, which has been in its twilight years for a little while now. This winter is likely to be its last. :eek: I've got a line on a really clean, nice, one-owner, 2000 Chevy Astro Van: 137,000 miles, 6 cylinder, 7 passenger, dual air bags... et. al. The current owner has taken it to the same garage that we take the Jeep to, and has had all the work done on it at our same garage since 2004.

So far so good, because I trust the garage and head mechanics there implicity; they tell me "it's a good, solid clean and well-working car," which is good, because I am considering it as my Work-At-Home-Stay-At-Home-Dad's Kid Shuttle/Taxi Service car for my DS (5) and DD (3). It needs the A/C charged and new tires (no problem, either) and it's road-ready.

But here is the thing: I need to make sure my two child safety seats are gonna work in it safely. We have a Fisher-Price Safe Voyage (Britax) and a Sunshine Kids Radian seat. I am hoping both will be easy installs and safe for 99% local travel to school, the grocery store and the grandparents' places. SO, will they be? Can I install both seats on one bench, or do I have to do one on each? Can I install them the way they were intended/manufactured, or do I have to go the alternate "seatbelt through the carseat" route on them? I know that it has to be a better option than the Jeep is...?

It is, isn't it...? :confused:

OK, it's not a sexy van -- in fact not many are, and this one is the least sexy of them all (I have the "I used to be cool" bumper sticker already picked out for it). But it's also a heck of a deal that could save our family budget-wise for the next couple years. If this van is a safe option get all of us to Fall 2013 (or even Spring 2014) when I will be back to work full-time and in the market for a brand new car, I will be about as happy as a sleep-deprived dad with two toddlers could possibly be. :yeahthatlove:

Thanks in advance for your help. I've read many great threads here over the years reading over my wife's shoulder. I appreciate any insight you're able to share.

Peter

ADS

Keeanh

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. That's the exact van I have and you can put anything you like in it ;). It even has a tether anchor for the front passenger seat if you really need it. When you say "install the way they're intended", do you mean using LATCH as opposed to seatbelt? The 2000 doesn't have LATCH. But everything installs great with the seatbelts in that van. And of course you can put 2 seats on one bench. You can get 3 seats on one bench pretty easily. It's a wide vehicle.

ETA: I should have specifically said -- those two seats you mention should be fine. I have a Radian if you want me to try anything out for you. I have pics somewhere of it RF in the middle bench. Sorry, don't have a FP/Britax convertible.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC