Radian in a Jeep Cherokee?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Currently I have a Marathon and an Evenflo Triumph, both RF, both outboard. We are getting 2 new seats and were planning on buying 2 Recaro's but I hate the Triumph and want 2 new seats pronto. DH loves the Princess Radians, so I think we're going to get 2 Princess Radian 80's.

Does anyone have experience installing Radians RF or FF in a Jeep Cherokee with lightweight locking latchplates?

ADS

o_mom

My neighbor has one in a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo. We had to use a locking clip to get it installed FF outboard, but it was solid. We didn't try it RF because she has other convertible seats to use. I did try it center for kicks and could not get it tight.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Really you had to use a locking clip? Poo. We might get a mini van sometime in the near future if we can sell one of the Jeeps, and I'm nervous about getting the Radians because they seem hard to install in many vehicles :(

skaterbabs

I'll see if I can borrow one for my 96 Cherokee. I've been meaning to test it for a while. You shouldn't need a LC, but you may need to remove the plastic housing on the female buckles so they can be twisted.

I'll see if I can borrow one for my 96 Cherokee. I've been meaning to test it for a while. You shouldn't need a LC, but you may need to remove the plastic housing on the female buckles so they can be twisted.

Is that legal? Do the vehicle manufacturers say it's okay? To me it doesn't seem like a safety issue and I considered it on our Suburban, but finally got a really tight FF and RF install with the Radian in the 2nd row middle seat.

Stephanie

skaterbabs

Yep, it's fine. I had to do it with mine. The plastic housing is only there for belt management when you fold the seat. Removing it makes it a little trickier when you do so, but it's not a safety issue.

o_mom

Really you had to use a locking clip? Poo. We might get a mini van sometime in the near future if we can sell one of the Jeeps, and I'm nervous about getting the Radians because they seem hard to install in many vehicles :(

The first time (to test it out before purchase) it was installed by a CPST-I, and she needed a locking clip. When the new one came, we just did it that way again. Basically, the angle of the belt in that low beltpath would let the latchplate loosen. Flipping the latchplate didn't work either (that's what the Scenara required) so we went with a LC.

I didn't know you could remove the plastic on the belt stalks. That may have made it work, but when it's not your car it's hard to say "sure, just cut those off" when a LC will do it. :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I tried a Radian tonight in our 97 Wrangler - I think it's virtually the same install as the 96 Cherokee. I got it rock solid, without a locking clip. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Super thanks! I found a store about 30 minutes away that has the Radians in stock, so I'm going to cruise out there to try it in my car ;) I'll take pics and report back!

skipspin

Yep, the Radian's work great RFing or FFing in our Wrangler.
We also have a new Wrangler (4 dr Unlimited) and it fits FFing in all spots, but it takes some wrestling to get it tight in the center with the seatbelt- outboard is pretty easy. There is a trick for getting the headrests out of the way on the new ones. I'm just so happy they HAVE head support!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC