Looking for the right convertable

mamawetz

CPS Technician
Hi everyone! I've been a lurker on this site (and loving it!) and will be looking to purchase a convertable for DD. I'm a FTM and am learning so much about car safety, but I'm also realizing how much I don't know! DD's 3 months old, about 24.5 inches, just under 12 lbs, so I don't think we're quite ready for a new seat tomorrow, but I want to be sure to get the right thing when it is time. We're thinking it will be within the next 2-3 months.

Right now she's in a BabyTrend EZ-Loc infant carrier and I'm leaning most towards a Britax MA. But I'm a little confused/worried. We have an '05 Hyundai Santa Fe, which is where she'll be riding 99.9% of the time, and I don't think we can do a seat in the center. When we had her seat/base installed by a local tech, she couldn't get the center install tight enough (using the lap belt because there's no center LATCH) for any of us to be comfortable, so DD's on the driver's side outboard, with the base installed using LATCH (ISOFIX in our car). The car's manual says "Do not install a child restraint seat at the center of the rear seat using the vehicle's ISOFIX anchors."

Here's my question for all you wise readers: what's the best seat for our car and where's the best place to install it? I'd like to have DD ERF for as long as realistically possible (until she's 4-5 yo?) and we are planning on having another child in about 2 years, so we can purchase a MA for DD now and then pass it down to the new baby, or we can just plan on using the MA until it's expired and we go to a HBB. Any advice, suggestions, and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We're sort of on a budget, but I'm planning on spending whatever it takes to keep DD safe, which is why I want to start looking for deals now.

Thanks a bunch!
Amour

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have a 3 month old also, along with a 17 month old, 5.5 year old and 6.5 year old. We are getting ready to buy new seats for the 17 month old and 3 month old. We will be buying two Marathons or Boulavards, but if our kids were spaced more apart I would buy one of them and then buy a higher weight harness seat later (like the Regent).

I understand being on a budget. Money is tight, but I am not settling for anything but another Britax to replace our Britax Roundabout that will expire on Aug. 2, 2007. Also, ask about the date of manufacture if you are buying at a reduced price. I am looking for a Park Avenue Boulavard and found one for $264 that was manufactured in 1/06. That is $58 a year. Whereas the Regal Boulevard I found for $299 is manufactured in 6/07 is $49 a year and I will get to use it almost its whole life. Granted our kids might be out of it before it expires, but I will still be having nieces and nephews.

Stefanie

scatterbunny

The Marathon installs like a breeze 99% of the time. :) I don't see why you'd have any issues in the center with a lapbelt. :) If she can stay in her infant seat as long as possible, you can install the RF convertible more upright than 45 degrees, as upright as is comfortable for baby. It can also touch the front seats (Britax actually encourages bracing the top of the seat shell against the front seats; some vehicles with front airbags will not allow carseats to touch front seats, though).

For ERFing in a smaller car, I think the Britax convertibles are some of the best.

trailrunnermom

A Britax Marathon or Boulevard is always a good and very safe choice; well worth the extra expense. But if you want to keep the cost down for now, a new option just appeared on the market (my neighbor just bought one for her 9-mo.-old) -- the Evenflo Triumph Advance.

PRO: More affordable price, comfy, RF to 35 lbs, roomy (wide), extended FF to 50 lbs., easy harness adjustments.

CON: Brand new--no real-life feedback yet; doesn't tether RF; wide--takes up more space than a Marathon.

If you don't need the new seat right away, you could continue to check this forum for feedback on the Triumph as people start buying and using them. Forum members have reported seeing them at some BRU for $149 and wal-marts for $129. The wal-mart version is slightly less fancy. :)

From what I've read, it's better to go with the seating location that has the best install, even if it's not the center.

It's great that you're researching car-seat info. when your baby is still so young! I just recently learned a lot of this information...while I was basically doing the right things before, my kids are even safer now! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC