3 across in a 2008 Scion XB?

Catherine S

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here and I have a question. We have a 2008 (the updated version) Scion XB that were are hoping will last us through child #3. We currently have a 29 lb 3 year old who is FF, a 20 lb 17 month old who is RF and are TTC. Has anyone found a configuration for 3 across in the Scion XB?

The seats we have currently would never allow a 3 across, so we will be starting from scratch. $$ is not a concern since three new carseats will still be way less expensive than a new car. Our 3 year old will be in a 5 PT harness for a WHILE since he is so petite and our 17 month old will be RF for as long as possible.

So 3 Radians? 2 Radians and a Combi Cocorro? Has anyone been able to make something like this work?

ADS

Chely7425

Welcome to Cso :) I don't had any personal experience with your vehicle but one of our regulars does, I sent her a message and hopefully she can offer some insight! I'm sure there's a combination that will work :)

it may appear that I do not have a firm grasp of the English language... blame my iPhone

Catherine S

Welcome to Cso :) I don't had any personal experience with your vehicle but one of our regulars does, I sent her a message and hopefully she can offer some insight! I'm sure there's a combination that will work :)

it may appear that I do not have a firm grasp of the English language... blame my iPhone

Thank you! I also did look in the 3 across thread, but didn't come up with a whole lot there. Not sure if the info is there and I just have not found it:) The seems like there should be a combo that will work, but I am overwhelmed by how to figure it out. We have a pretty decent store here that will help you configure, but I am wary of letting a salesperson sort this out, kwim? Figured you guys are more knowledgeable.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
What seats are your kids in now? And do you have an infant seat already that you may want to use? Depending on what seats you have now, we may be able to help make suggestions that will allow you to puzzle the seats together and you may be able to keep one of them.

It's a pretty good guess that you'll need one Radian for sure though. One comment I have on that vehicle is that it has very long belt stalks, esp in the center, so anything with a lower profile belt path (like the Radian) isn't going to be the most fun to install.

I'd start by ordering one Radian, (right now on kohls.com you can get a 65 which would be plenty for your kids, for $140 if you have a Kohls card and use the 30% off coupon, plus you'll get another $20 back in Kohls cash).

Once you get the Radian here, you can play around with a few configurations, see how it installs in your various seating locations and fits with your other seats, and determine how many more seats you need to buy.

xursusmaritimusx

okay.... so the scion xb is a tricky one. it seems to do better for 3 across when all the riders are forward facing. obviously thats not going to be an option for your set up.

what seats do you currently have?

i would definitely get at least one radian and install it forward facing for your 3 year old. rear facing radians generally dont work very well in the scion due to the flat, firm seats.

in my head im imagining a radian installed in the center forward facing.

a britax marathon (old or new style) installed rear facing behind the driver or passenger outboard. the height of the britax seat usually puzzles well with the low profile of the radian.

and then a combi coccoro or a narrow infant carrier for the baby when the time comes.

Catherine S

okay.... so the scion xb is a tricky one. it seems to do better for 3 across when all the riders are forward facing. obviously thats not going to be an option for your set up.

what seats do you currently have?

i would definitely get at least one radian and install it forward facing for your 3 year old. rear facing radians generally dont work very well in the scion due to the flat, firm seats.

in my head im imagining a radian installed in the center forward facing.

a britax marathon (old or new style) installed rear facing behind the driver or passenger outboard. the height of the britax seat usually puzzles well with the low profile of the radian.

and then a combi coccoro or a narrow infant carrier for the baby when the time comes.

THANK YOU!!! This is the type of direction I was hoping to get:)

We have 2 Safety First Alpha Omegas currently. We bought one in 2008 and one in 2010, but I just looked and ours don't look much like the ones being sold now.

Catherine S

Also, would a Britax Marathon, Radian, and Coccoro work if the Britax were FF? Or would that mean buying another Radian? I just measured the width of the seat which looks to be about 49 inches. I know it doesn't always mean that seats will or won't fit. Is it just a matter of figuring out what seats puzzle well together? How do you know the true dimensions of a seat? Or is it something you just have the tease out in person with actual seats in hand?

xursusmaritimusx

you're welcome.
my husband and i own '05 and '11 scion xb's so im very familiar with car seats in these cars! we just got the '11 and knowing that a 3rd child is most likely in our future, i too had thought about what kind of set up i would need.

the marathon will fit forward or rear facing next to a radian because the base of the seat boosts it up over the edge of the radian... so you'd be good with that seat for awhile. and it will still fit next to the coccoro because of slim profile and narrowness of the coccoro.

something else to think about is if you do decide to go with the radian/marathon/coccoro set up....

once the baby was growing out of the coccoro, you could move the baby into the marathon, your middle child could move into the radian, and your oldest (assuming they are big enough and mature enough) could move into a booster... meaning you wouldnt have to keep buying a bunch of new seats.... this is of course if all the kids grow in a normal growth pattern and dont grow out of seats too soon :)

Catherine S

you're welcome.
my husband and i own '05 and '11 scion xb's so im very familiar with car seats in these cars! we just got the '11 and knowing that a 3rd child is most likely in our future, i too had thought about what kind of set up i would need.

the marathon will fit forward or rear facing next to a radian because the base of the seat boosts it up over the edge of the radian... so you'd be good with that seat for awhile. and it will still fit next to the coccoro because of slim profile and narrowness of the coccoro.

once the baby was growing out of the coccoro, you could move the baby into the marathon, your middle child could move into the radian, and your oldest (assuming they are big enough and mature enough) could move into a booster... meaning you wouldnt have to keep buying a bunch of new seats.... this is of course if all the kids grow in a normal growth pattern and dont grow out of seats too soon :)

Yeah, I figured I could't be the only mom or potential mom to three out there driving a Scion. I actually have the opposite problem of them growing out of seat, my kids trend towards being slender and somewhat on the tall side. My 29 lb 3 year old gained a whole 2 pounds between his 2nd and third birthday and DH and I are both slim people, so he will probably be in a 5 point harness till he is a good bit older. I guess the radian will be good for that as well.

I guess even if we end up needing to buy additional car seats, it's still less $$ than buying a new car. Plus, I do love my Scion and would not be happy to part with it:D

Thank you again for taking time to respond to my questions.

U

Unregistered

So...did you get 3 across in the Scion XB? We are trying to fit three forward facing and keep coming up short on space. Do three Radians actually fit across, their top wings seem too wide.

U

Unregistered

This is exactly the info I needed!! I have a 2009 that I love! I need 2 boosters and a convertible across the back. I want to buy one for baby #3 that will work both rear and forward facing :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC