Travel with seats...Recaro Signo, Evenflo Advance, Radian?

MsFacetious

Sorry this is long... I'm very worried about figuring it out. It needs to be something that harnesses to at least 50lbs because a booster could be the only option afterwards depending on finances. I need to make this last as long as possible.

It was going to be Recaro but with it getting pushed back again I likely won't be able to wait. We will definitely be travelling in September if not sooner and the stores here won't have them right when they come out. I'm also not thrilled with how much it will weigh. I am already struggling with moving and installing the Regents weekly. (I feel horrible about this, I should just be able to handle moving them and deal with it. But, I can't anymore. Installing the Regents in my van leaves me in pain for days. I'm having to learn to accept my limitations and I think it might just kill me.)

I will be travelling with my MIL who today suggested that I might just have to find a used seat they will fit in, or the kids just might have to ride in boosters. :thumbsdown: Not going to happen. But, these trips ARE NOT optional so I need to find a solution that won't give me nightmares.

Ali is 36lbs and about 38 inches, about a 14 inch torso I think.

Sadi is 33-35lbs and about 37 inches, about a 13.5 inch torso I think.

The Radian - although I LOVE that I could put them in the overhead compartment, install issues worry me because we will be flying, then renting a vehicle. If I couldn't get the seats in I'd be screwed. They also weigh a lot too...

Recaro - Weight of it.... and I don't know if we can wait that long. I could always use Scenera's until then, and get it when it comes out but it seems like it would be just as difficult for me as the Regents since it weighs close to the same.

Evenflo Triumph Advance - Top slots are 17 inches right? I put my girl's in a friends Marathon today and they are both below the 2nd to top slots. Sadi about an inch below, Ali about a half an inch. So they would have a good 2 or more inches of growth in the Triumph Advance which would hopefully get them until they could use a booster on short rides... or at least until the Recaro's came out. I also like the price tag on them better. :) My concern is travelling with them... anyone know how much they weigh? Or if they would fit in an airplane seat? I could gate check them if I had to, but I don't want to. I'd prefer they be in their seats on the plane, since they are required to have their own seat anyway.

These seats will also be used as second seats... so that I don't have to move the Regents and can instead use these in the van. They will obviously be used forward facing... hopefully installing them would be as easy as possible... side by side in my van. And in the newer vehicles we would be renting.

I am so stressed out about this... and very frustrated with myself. Sorry so long.

ADS

MsFacetious

You know what... maybe I should just take the Regents and gate check them.... at least then I would know I could install them on the other end...

all together ooky

How about the FPSVDs? I know they fit in airplane seats.
I don't know about the Advance. It is wide. I don't know how well they would install side-by-side.

MsFacetious

Are the FPSVD's even still available?? That is an option I thought of after I posted, if they are available.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I actually love the Radian, especially for travelling. Every single vehicle you rent will have LATCH and I've never had a problem installing the Radian with LATCH. They are super easy to install on a plane and still allow you to use the tray table.

The FPSV is also a great seat and easy to install in most vehicles.

MsFacetious

I was just looking at the Radian install thread and noticed that only one time in a newer vehicle (a Ford 500) has anyone not gotten a solid install with LATCH FF. I'm leaning that way because of the higher harness slots.... I just hate all the problems everyone has had with it... but, it may be our only choice. We will see. I will go back up to USA Baby and look at them this weekend.... but the FPSVD is a little cheaper. I shall have to debate those two. I'm think the folding and carrying bag will cause the Radian to win though...

Is it difficult to install with LATCH? Or not more difficult than a Britax convertible?

arly1983

I was just looking at the Radian install thread and noticed that only one time in a newer vehicle (a Ford 500) has anyone not gotten a solid install with LATCH FF. I'm leaning that way because of the higher harness slots.... I just hate all the problems everyone has had with it... but, it may be our only choice. We will see. I will go back up to USA Baby and look at them this weekend.... but the FPSVD is a little cheaper. I shall have to debate those two. I'm think the folding and carrying bag will cause the Radian to win though...

Is it difficult to install with LATCH? Or not more difficult than a Britax convertible?

ME:love: I am the one that had the problems with the Ford500 and honest to God, I swear it was because of the way the latch anchors were placed.....Every other vehicle has been WONDERFULL with latch...You can reach through the "slits" on either side (like the regent has where the belt goes through long belt path) and tighten up the LATCH. The only tip I have is if the seat is touching the headrest, sometimes it is a much tighter install if you remove it. I think if I had to travel with any of the seats you have picked it would either be the radian (1st choice) or FPSVD.

A good idea would be to order one radian now from target. Try it out and see how your kids like it, install it in lots of vehicles. Return it to target if it doesn't work out.

Good Luck!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

It's easy to install with LATCH. Attach the lower anchors and pull out all the slack. Then feed the tail through the velcro opening on the side of the seat to the front of the seat. Kneel in the seat and pull straight up, removing the remainder of the slack. Feed the tail end back through the velcro to the back and re-attach velcro. Attach top tether and tighten. Done!

MsFacetious

Arly, what was different about the anchors? I know the ones in my Dad's truck are pretty far apart compared to other vehicles...and the ones in my van are close together.

I will look and see about ordering it from Target.... if I can convince my Dad to put them on his card... we'll see how that goes... lol

MsFacetious

Albee baby has them $30 cheaper.... hmmmmm. I guess I will have to wait until I can go up to USA Baby and play with them again... unless I want to order them and just take the chance and then sell them if it doesn't work. I don't know... ugh!

BudgieStew

I just flew with the Radian and traveling with it has it pro's and cons.

Pro's-it folds so when carrying it over your shoulder and three billion other things and herding children its not so awkward banging against your thigh.

Also if you are not using it on the plane its smal enough to count as overhead luggage.
The carry case made it easier to lug and protected it at the same time.

When you get to your destination. Its nice and narrow so when you have two Radian's in a backseat generally a adult is able to fit in beside them. If we had not gone with the two Radian's for this trip a third adult would never had been able to travel in my parents Jetta.

Cons its heavy really really heavy. Luckily my gates and luggage pick up just happened to be a short walk so I did not suffer too much.

As the lone adult with a 3 year old and a 1 year old it was not easy.

Picture a 17 month old on my back. The Radian over my shoulder. A umbrella stroller with my 3 year old and the diaper bag and my purse with all the usual crap in them.

Two car seats of any kind would have been impossible. I was lucky enough to have another Radian waiting for me on the other end.

The carry bag although useful had some issues.
The seat only goes in one way and once you figure that out it was hard to close the zipper and each time I needed help to get it in. I think it needs to have two zippers to meet in the middle and a little more give to the bag so one is not always scared you are going to break the zipper. Despite the drawbacks of the bag if I had not had it there is no way I would have been able to lug it around. I think someone had mentioned that you can just buy the carry handle but I was never able to find a store that sold it.I hope to be able to find it before I fly next and go with that so I don;t have to fuss with the bag. The bag would be useful when gate checking it.

Slightly distracted since my 3 year old is having a fit about going to bed so must go and hope this is not too disjointed.

arly1983

Arly, what was different about the anchors? I know the ones in my Dad's truck are pretty far apart compared to other vehicles...and the ones in my van are close together.

I will look and see about ordering it from Target.... if I can convince my Dad to put them on his card... we'll see how that goes... lol

Actually, they seemed to be too close together. The latch achors were set up weird. The inboard ones rode up the hump in the middle, the outboard ones were almost in the middle of the outboard seats. There were no little "pockets" to "tuck" the female buckles in, so that took some arranging. I could only tighten the latch anchors so far before they stuck into the seat and couldn't be tighten further, but then the back of the seat was not flush agaist the car's seat so there was still lots of movement. It was just a very weird experience. Her latch is weird no matter what seat I put in so I always use the belt.

Have you checked the database at carseatdata.org?

MsFacetious

Okay thanks... any seat I take is going to be as heavy as the Radian... if I don't take the Radian it'll be the Recaro or the Regent.. either one will be 21+ pounds...so just as heavy. But the folding and bag does make it easier I hope even though it's heavy.

I will need to fit 3 adults and both kids. It will be my MIL and FIL and I, or MIL and BIL and I... ect. Sometimes maybe even MIL, SIL and SIL's baby... the thought of that makes my head hurt!!! Of course then she would have to get a minivan, but that will be rare.

So, I will have two adults to help with luggage and I can keep other luggage down to a small suitcase and backpack for just a weekend trip...

Arly, I've seen LATCH anchors like you are talking about. I know what you mean... and yep I checked the database, I need to weed through it further when I have more time. But it looks like from here that LATCH FF shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully that is the case.

I will order them on Friday or Saturday when my deposit hits. It'll be $100 cheaper than getting them here. I'll have to make them work and if I can't I'll deal with them till the Recaro comes out and then sell them.

This was MUCH easier when my kids were little enough to fit in any carseat!! And yet I still took the Boulevards instead of Sceneras...what was I thinking?!

MsFacetious

UGH Albeebaby is out of stock. Of course they are. They were only $169 there... but they are $199 everywhere else. Better than $249 at USA Baby.

Oh well. I'll just pay more I guess if they don't go on sale shortly.

vamom

I just bought the radian. Elite will not price match if the item is out of stock, but mystroller.com did, no problem. They shipped the same day and the seat was made 3/07. Nice folks too.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm with you!

I want an easy to travel with seat with awesome side impact protection and high top harness slots.

The Safeguard Go or Radian would be great if they had side impact protection, but the lack of SIP is a huge deciding factor. The rest of the seats that have high top slots and harness above 40 pounds just aren't great travel seats!

Let us know what you decide :)

MsFacetious

I think it's gotta be the Radian. I have to consider how I would do this by myself...and with two kids and two seats... I couldn't. The Radian folding and going in the bag so I can carry it just makes a huge difference to me.

I really don't like the seat though and Ali hates it.. so it should be interesting... lol. The Safeguard is out though, no way could I pay that much. No matter how easy it installs, not in the cards.

The Radian can be easily put on airplanes... and if for some reason I don't use it on the plane, I don't have to gate check it. That's just huge for me... being able to keep the seat with me all the time.

I also figure by the time my girl's outgrow it my niece will be needing a higher weight limit seat for travel. So I am just going to have to get the Radians.

Unless there is another folding one I dunno about?? Lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC