Question middle seat installation for odyssey '05

Lotsaboys

I took my '05 Odyssey to the fire department today to see if we could get a good install of my son's radian in rear facing position in the middle (pop out) seat. I'm wanting to put the seat here, so that I can keep all my kids rear facing and in one row when my youngest is born in a couple of months. My question is - the seat moves a little "extra" b/c the vehicle seat itself moves more than the other seats since it's the "pop out" seat. The fireman said this was fine b/c all vehicle seats have to meet specific safety standards - so therefore this seat should be fine. The child in this seat is 3 yrs. 4 months, 34 lbs and roughly 38 inches......I feel like if the seat isn't safest in this position, my next best choice is to put him forward facing in the back row of seats (I don't want to rearface him there b/c I would never be able to hear him, see him, anything!). What do y'all think the best place is?? Should I keep him rearfacing in his radian in the removable seat, or forward face him in the back row and have a potentially snugger install?? The fireman said the movement in the belt path where the seat is now is the right amount, so it's the actual seat that's moving a little extra...not the safety seat.

Just a little background, the seats are specifically arranged with it in the middle to make it fit, because the other's are: snugride, (then the radian) then a marathon. thanks!!

ADS

Lotsaboys

the reason I have any concern, is when the fireman said "it *should* be fine", I'm wanting to say there was some hesitation as to whether or not he actually thought this was the best place for my son. With that said, they didn't fight me ... but weren't convinced he needed to rearface anyway, so I'm having trouble reading into the answer and figuring out the SAFEST place!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as the car seat moves less than an inch at the belt path, it's considered secure and safe.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the vehicle seat moving. I've had two Odysseys, but we've never used the middle seat. Does it wobble, or what?

Hopefully someone else with some experience with it will chime in. I would sort of expect a vehicle seat to be secure in the vehicle, but maybe it wiggles a bit like an infant seat does in a base sometimes?

And for the other matter, I'm perfectly fine forward-facing a child of that age and size. I'm also perfectly fine keeping him rear-facing as long as it can be done safely and conveniently. So don't rush to turn him if you don't need to, but don't hesitate to turn him if that makes more sense.

Syllieann

My plus-one does wiggle a bit if you try to torque it, kind of like an infant seat in the base as pp described. Front to back and side to side it does not move though and therefore I would not be concerned about a seat in that position. If your plus one is moving front to back or side to side though I would worry that you might have it improperly installed into the car itself or perhaps one of the feet got bent whilst taking it out, storing, moving around, etc. In that case, no I would not want a car seat installed there and it may be worth having the dealer check it to make sure that it doesn't turn into a projectile in a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC