Question HBB or Booster for Grandparent car?

M

MominMN

Hi all,

We're purchasing car seats for my parents to use in their 2003 Subaru Forester. I already have a Scenera 40RF for them to use with my 14 month old. We are wondering what to get for our 5 year old who is about 46 lbs. and 45" tall. Ideas? I've been reading about: Harmony Cruz or Graco backless boosters, Evenflo Maestro, Big Kid Sport boosters, Safety 1st - Boost Air Protect, Cosco Pronto....wondering if any of these would be good? He will be in his Frontier 85 for a long time in our own cars but we are looking for something still safe but less expensive for Nana's car.

Thanks in advance!
~Grete

ADS

sirrahn

My 8.5 yr old really likes the Cruz, but I don't think it would be my first choice for a 5 yr old. The Turbo is about $50 sometimes less. If money is a big issue the $30 Big Kid Sport would probably work well too. It does have the benefit of staying together better which would be nice if it gets moved by the grandparents a lot. The Turbo does have eps foam and better headwings though. HTH!

henrietta

There's also the Harmony Highback booster, which may provide better belt fit than the Evenflo highback. You can order one from walmart.com. AT his weight and size, I would skip the Maestro--it won't last him long at all.

henrietta

M

MomInMN

Thanks everyone....so, between the Graco highback Turbobooster or the Harmony highback, is it just personal preference, aesthetics, etc. or is one clearly the better choice? I see that they are both Best Bets on the recently released list. I would be willing to pay more if there is something else to consider but would prefer not to spend as much as we spent on the FR85's that we got recently for our own cars. Our kids will be riding in their grandparents' car several times per week I'd guess (they just retired and moved here -- yay!).

Also, if we go with the Graco, is it worth paying $25 more for the Elite version? Looks like it's more padded with extra memory foam that may be more for comfort but wouldn't affect safety....just from my initial read of the description.

I appreciate your feedback! Love this site and all the experts here! :) Thanks!

glockchick

I prefer the Graco over the Harmony because the Graco has EPS foam in the head area and the Harmony doesn't.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on the elite version. My kids have had both and prefer whichever one has the cover they like better on it. :rolleyes: I even took the foam out of dd's seat to see if she noticed and she didn't so I'd go with it's not worth it. ;)

StillThankful

I would be willing to pay more if there is something else to consider but would prefer not to spend as much as we spent on the FR85's that we got recently for our own cars. .

I appreciate your feedback! Love this site and all the experts here! :) Thanks!

I'm not an expert but there are a myriad of boosters from which to choose in your price range of not exceeding $200.:) Alot of people on here like the Sunshine Kids Montereys or the Recaro Proboosters--they are in the low 100s as far as price goes.

Maram

If your 5 yr old is only 45lbs and 45" he can still be in a 5 point harness. I just got the Graco Nautilus for my daughter. It works with harness to 65lbs and 52". Then a booster for up to100 lbs and 57". Also can be used as a backless booster for up to 100lbs and 57 ". You may be able to use it later for your other child. It costs about $150 but totally worth it. Easy to install and use. Good luck with your purchase.

rxmommy

If your 5 yr old is only 45lbs and 45" he can still be in a 5 point harness. I just got the Graco Nautilus for my daughter. It works with harness to 65lbs and 52". Then a booster for up to100 lbs and 57". Also can be used as a backless booster for up to 100lbs and 57 ". You may be able to use it later for your other child. It costs about $150 but totally worth it. Easy to install and use. Good luck with your purchase.

As long as the 5-year-old fits the booster well and understand/is able to sit straight and correctly all the time, we have no evidence that a 5-point is safer than a booster at this age/weight. :) I would try a Turbobooster too - they fit both of my big girls very well!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would look at the Graco Trubo hbb. We have 2 for our kids for in dh vehicle. Our kids are 4y6m, 50# and over 36" (haven't measured for a while) and 5y7m, 60# and 4'. They work really well. Our older kids (9y and 10y) used the turbos as main boosters until they were outgrown.

Don't forget to put the screws in the armrests.

M

MomInMN

Just ordered a Graco highback Turbobooster...thanks so much for all the great ideas and advice! I'll be back with more questions in about 8-9 months when our younger son needs a new seat (his hand-me-down convertibles from the older brother will be expiring). SO helpful to hear all of your ideas!

Thanks again,
Grete

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC