Local Column about buckling

Simplysomething

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=127779&ran=103659

Don't want to buckle up? Fine. At least belt in your children.

It's hard to get worked up about adults who shun seat belts for themselves.
But children? Toddlers? Babies?
They're incapable of making life-and-death decisions. They depend on us to look out for them. Too often, we're looking the other way.

No one gets a Virginia driver's license without knowing the safety laws. The laws were tightened this week, by the way. The state now requires all kids under the age of 8 to be in safety or booster seats.
A vehicle can't be stopped solely for an adult seat-belt violation.
Good. Officers shouldn't have to waste their time reminding adults to protect themselves.
Kids are something else.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
:thumbsup: This columnist reminds me of the no-nonsense style of the author of the "mean" article about not buckling up that Jools posted earlier.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, kids do need us to look out for them -- which is why unbelted adults in cars with kids (regardless of whether the kids are buckled) need to be stopped & ticketed ... because they become projectiles: the kids having about twice the risk of death then.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Horray! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Although I do wish the EVERYONE would buckle so that they don't become projectiles in an accident.

skaterbabs

Yes, kids do need us to look out for them -- which is why unbelted adults in cars with kids (regardless of whether the kids are buckled) need to be stopped & ticketed ... because they become projectiles: the kids having about twice the risk of death then.

Yep. Which is why I insisted on moving Joy's Husky Sunday so MIL would have a shoulder belt even though MIL didn't want to bother. As I told her, I don't feel like dealing with the aftermath of my kids seeing their beloveed grandmother bashing her brains out on her own knees when some 4 th of july weekend drunk hits us. It literally took all of three minutes to move the seat, so it's not like it was a long process anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC