• Not sure

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters
ADS

Aurezalia

No, I would not, because of neck loads.
However, I WOULD love a useable adult booster since I don't 5-step. :p

Aurezalia

I bought a Monterey (Yes, for myself :p) but I can't use it in most cars, it sets me too high so I don't have enough room between it and the steering wheel. :( Just need something a little lower profile - or a higher steering wheel! :p

scariestone

I'd actually prefer that cars came with 4 point harnesses instead of seatbelts(or as an option) than ride in a car seat. Considering how huge the seats that accommodate higher weight limits are, I can't even imagine how big a car seat for me would have to be and what a pain it would be to install.

AustinMusic

I think I would be okay with a harness...

Regarding a full ‘seat’ as such, no I would not.

However because our previous car only had a lap strap for the centre rear seat, we purchased an E-Z-On Vest to use in that position. Although I normally drove, I did use it on rare occasions and anyone who sat in that position also did. Our current vehicle has a 3 point belt for the centre rear seat and thus we only use the E-Z-On Vest for a specific family friend when required. However, if I ever owned/operated a vehicle with a lap belt-only position where 3 point belts could not be safely fitted, then I would definitely look into using an E-Z-On-Vest/86Y.

:yeahthat: I really don't like the lap belt fit on me. I would love an adult booster :)

Not that they would ever consider it, but I know a couple of adults who need a booster!

crunchierthanthou

I'd actually prefer that cars came with 4 point harnesses instead of seatbelts(or as an option) than ride in a car seat. Considering how huge the seats that accommodate higher weight limits are, I can't even imagine how big a car seat for me would have to be and what a pain it would be to install.

Yeah, I'd be fine with 4 point seatbelts- something like lap/shoulder belts we have now, but coming from both sides and meeting in the middle.

5 point? no way. I wear dresses/skirts at least once a week. :p

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would. My big boobs constantly make the shoulder belt slide up over my chest and under my arm and across my neck. I would switch to a 4 or 5 point harness in a heartbeat if I could. Except during pregnancy. I don't see how it would work when pregnant.

lanwenyi

I doubt it. There would have to be some pretty convincing studies for me to use one. However, I would also love an adult booster in some cars.

I might be more apt to consider a 5pt harness (or even a 4pt harness) if there was also something to restrain the head. Otherwise, I'd be concerned about neckloads.

lourdes

Brigala said:
I would. My big boobs constantly make the shoulder belt slide up over my chest and under my arm and across my neck. I would switch to a 4 or 5 point harness in a heartbeat if I could. Except during pregnancy. I don't see how it would work when pregnant.

I have the same problem!!! I vote for the adult booster!

Angela

If it was proven to be safer, than yes, I would, but only then would I even consider it. Neckloads are so much higher for adults, I don't think it would be feasible though. I also second (or 3rd/4th/etc) the adult booster idea. I would totally use it in several different cars.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If it was proven to be safer, than yes, I would, but only then would I even consider it. Neckloads are so much higher for adults, I don't think it would be feasible though.

You think so?

They've been using 4 and 5 point restraints in race cars for years longer than the HANS device has been around. It seems odd that they'd do that if it were actually less safe than a 3-point seat belt. I do understand of course that they're safe now with the head restraint than they used to be without it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Anyone have any published support they can link to for this 'high neck loads' supposition, in street speeds? I'm not going 220mph, and harnesses without HANS devices are quite common for people who race, aren't they? (at least, everyone seems to have them on Top Gear, they retrofit all the test cars to have proper harnesses, not 'they've been good enough for 40 years, so we won't even consider thinking anything might be better' three point belts ;))
Higher knee and head excursion might be a problem if there was something huge like a Frontier, but slim like a Radian, but obviously more width, might be ok. How about just a nice 4 point belt (like the Volvo safety test car, and like Ford was supposedly trying to get approved) and some great headwings on the headrest, like newer/better airplanes have (like Turbo Elites :))

robbertbobbert

No. I get really, really, really car sick. As in, if I'm in a car for 5 minutes and not the driver (it doesn't matter where I sit), it's possible I'll be throwing up and need to sleep for at least a few hours after I get out of the car. I need to be able to change positions in the car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC