My 4 year old asked to rearface again!

lilbitcrunchy

I love this forum and have been reading for a long time. This is my first thread as I think it's the only place where people will "get" it lol. DD just turned 4 on the 12th and has been riding forward facing since just after 3. She's only 34 lbs but at 3 and the height of a 5 year old, I felt she was very safe facing forward. It's been a whole new world for her and fun for me to see her face and she can pop in and out and buckle herself easily.

So recently I've been talking with family a lot about extended rearfacing and harnessing. I typed up a long email with links for my cousins and SIL and sent along a picture of DD rearfacing at 2.5. DD came up to the pc and said "Oooooh I want to go like that!" doing a turning motion and saying she wanted to match her baby sister's seat. I said ok, and shrugged it off thinking she was just saying that. Well we went to clean out the car the next day and she told me again! So off I went in search of the boot, did the switcheroo and she climbed up there so fast and was loving it. She can only fit with her legs completely crossed but she has a good 2 inches above her head. I told her to just let me know if she wants to turn back around :love:

I figured this would bring on some comments when I drop her off at preschool as the teachers meet the kids at the car. Yesterday one said "Oh it's a little hard for you to get out huh? You know it's safer for you the other way" :eek: I corrected her immediately, "Actually no it's much safer for her this way and since she asked and still fits, that's what we're doing" :D

So anywho, just thought I'd share. I miss seeing her face but I do NOT miss the head slump when she inevitably passes out if we're in the car more than 30 mins (which is a lot). That was the only thing I hated about forward facing. Given the Radian's tall shell and her weight, I bet she could RF until 5 :love:

Nevermind the run away toddler in the back :p

ADS

Swtnsassy2c

I posted a thread like this about a month ago! I love that they asked to turn back around. Our prek teachers thought I was crazy for having DS who turned 4 in July rfing. Some people just don't understand the safety aspect of rfing. They think it is an inconvenience and as soon as their legs look slightly cramped they need to FF.
That was the first thing his teacher said " his legs aren't too long?" I said no he crosses them because it's comfortable to him.
Great job mama and she is such a cutie! Love the runaway toddler in the background.

melniemi

Cute:love: my dd rfed until 4y8m. The radian requires 1.5" above her head for rear facing, so if she has 2", that gives her a 1/2" of torso growth:)

scariestone

I really wish DS would ask to go back RF but he couldn't care less either way. I only turned him because I was sick of DH's incessant b&$%*ing but if he asked to go RF I could blame it on him. :p I still haven't gotten up the guts to sell the MT because I love it so much but if its not going to be used there's no point in keeping it. :crying: Your DD is absolutely adorable. I had the same fluffy pigtails when I was little.

ElfJewel

Yay! My dd said the same thing last year. She wanted to sit "like buddy (ds)"- she is still happily RF at 5.5 :D

lilbitcrunchy

Cute:love: my dd rfed until 4y8m. The radian requires 1.5" above her head for rear facing, so if she has 2", that gives her a 1/2" of torso growth:)

I think she grows mostly in her legs so here's hoping she can for as long as she wants to. I hate to have to break it to her that she *has* to turn around!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC