Would you go without Chest Clip??

hjal05

DD chest clip broke on her Radian. So ofcourse we haven't been using it. I ordered another one from SKJP. I ordered it last week to ship UPS. Well I still haven't received it. So I called today. She says it shipped USPS on the 17th. Even though I chose UPS. She says that locktites can only be shipped one way and that is USPS. She said that they were working to fix the options on the website. Then she proceeds to tell me that DD can use the carseat without a chest clip that it has been test and is fine. Can it really be okay?? All I can think of is 1) it's not a 5pt harness then and 2) In the even of an accident she could come out of the seat. So is it okay to use it without the Chest clip? Has anyone else ever heard this before. I questioned her and she kept telling me it was fine. Right now we have just been lugging seats between the vehicles when we have too. It's her 2nd seat that's broke.

ADS

christineka

The chest clip is not part of a 5 point harness. Seats outside of North America don't even have chest clips. I have used my radian without a chest clip and feel perfectly safe doing so.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There are still five points. One at each shoulder, one at each hip, and one at the crotch. :)

Yes, I would feel entirely comfortable using my seat without the chest clip since the manufacturer says it's ok. As Christine said, chest clips are a north america exclusive. They actually have more potential to cause injury through misuse than they do to increase safety, IMO.

I bet they test it without the chest clip for foreign markets. That's only a guess. But it should work just fine without the chest clip.

hjal05

Thank you for the info. I was way off base then. I always thought that the chest clip is what made it 5pt. But after some quick googling I see that it is the crotch strap. Thanks. I guess we can stop switching carseats then. Hopefully the new locktite is here by friday.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As the others have said, it is okay. The chest clip is a pre-crash positioner, which means it keeps the straps where they are supposed to be *before* the crash, so that they work properly *during* the crash. The clip itself does nothing during the crash, and in fact, is designed to break or slide down in the event of a crash.

I would just make certain that the straps are properly positioned on your daughter's shoulders and that they are properly tightened -- both of which should be happening anyways -- and she will be very safe, even without the chest clip. :)

bnsnyde

OK question...

So the Companion chest clip was EASY to slide and adjust.
The Chaperone, impossible!

Can someone explain why these designs are so different for (in many ways) a similar seat? And, which is better?
The chest clip is so stiff and impossible...and this is used on newborns. Thoughts?

I cannot slide it. Am I to assume in a crash it would do its job and not choke the child? Some of my chest clips on other seats glide effortlessly.

lovemybabies924

I had the same problem .. You need to tilt it to slide and I guess it passes crash tests that way :)

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC