Graco Turbo Booster has 10 year expiry?

zactayaus

I just got two high back TB's to replace the two of ours that are expiring this Dec. One has a DOM of 3/10 and has "do not use after December 2016" stamped into the bottom. The other one has a DOM of 5/11 and has "do not use this child restraint after 10 years from the date of manufacture" stamped into the bottom.:confused: Anyone else notice this on their newer TB? When did this change? I haven't been on here often so maybe I just missed it?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was doing a training before the last car seat clinic, and noticed the 10 yr thing on the bottom of the nautilus.

Holly

I just bought a turbo elite last week, the manufacture date is 5/2011. I'll have to check the seat for an expiration.

Brianna

I'm actually kind of hoping the harness isn't good for 10 years.

How would we explain that while at the same time showing the 10 year old Britax seat crash test?

rxmommy

If that's true then it is great news, because I will for sure have kiddos in boosters for more than the next 10 years!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not a britax seat. Besides, transport canada had similar results with non-expired britax seats.

It was a Britax seat. Expressway, maybe? Or a Roundabout?

The Graco Smart Seat has a 10 year expiration. Frontier is nine years harnessed or booster. Provided the company is ok with it, I am as well. Britax says six years. So a 10 year old Britax is a dangerous thing. Would a ten year old Frontier be bad? I don't know, and I'm not going to use my kid to find out. But if Graco says 10 years for the Smart Seat, Nautilus, Turbo, and who knows what else, then they better stand by it, or get hit by many multimillion dollar lawsuits.

Wendy

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Here's how I explain expiration dates. It seems to get a much better reception than the 'hype' that seems to imply that car seats immediately become ineffective the day they pass their magical expiration dates.

Car seat manufacturers cannot possibly be expected to track every seat they have ever made forever in perpetuity. If we start finding that a Maestro, for example, starts having a failure in crashes or in every day use after about two years of wear and tear, Evenflo will issue a recall and let everyone know that they need to repair or replace the defective part that did not last as long as expected. But if the same car seats start to see a chronic failure after seven years, Evenflo is not going to acknowledge or track the failure because those car seats are supposed to be out of service anyway.

The consumer can feel comfortable using the 6 year car seat for 5 years, 11 months, and 29 days, because the company and NHTSA continue to monitor the seat's performance and track reports of failure. So if a chronic issue is uncovered in that timeframe, the consumer will be informed and steps taken to correct it. But after 6 years and 1 day, the consumer no longer has that protection. So if a car seat has a 6 year expiration, and there's a piece of the car seat that tends to break or stop functioning or become flimsy after 6.5 years, there would be no way at all for the consumer to know about it.

If Graco is content with being responsible for their Turboboosters and Nautiluses for ten years, then I'm happy to use them that long. I am confident that if we start seeing failures in 9.5 year old seats, Graco will let us know.

So... this is my experience with expirations:

I had a Peg Perego infant seat with a 5 year expiration given to me shortly before my daughter was born. I knew the seat had very light use and was stored indoors between children. It was a "grandparent seat" for one family and was used about three times before I personally bought it for a friend to replace an expired Evenflo she'd been making do with. My friend then gave it back to me. It was due to pass its 5 year expiration right before my daughter was born. Knowing that most seats have no problem lasting for six years, I honestly didn't feel too bad about the idea of setting it on the garage shelf just in case I needed it in an emergency (like, I don't know, my car caught on fire with my car seat in it and I needed to use a different car to evacuate the area and needed a seat???). We inspected it SUPER closely to check for any signs of wear or degradation or compromised integrity of any kind. It was in perfect shape. So I put it in storage and forgot about it for a few months.

Shortly after its expiration (but still before six years) I got it out because I wanted something to help DD sit up for some photos and for some reason I didn't want to use her regular car seat. I couldn't detach the damn seat from the base to save my life. We ended up with four adults (two on the car seat and two on the base) yanking and pulling to separate the pieces. Once we got it off, we found that the plastic piece that the handle pulls on to release the car seat had lost some of its rigidity and it no longer pulled as far as it was supposed to. I have since found out that this tends to happen to the Peg Perego infant seats toward the end of their lifespans. No wonder Peg puts a 5 year instead of a 6 year expiration on them! They actually do "self destruct" after 5 years! I now have a healthier respect for car seat expirations. If another piece of the car seat which, say, held the harness in place or kept the buckle locked, had started to wear out, who's to say I would have known before it was too late and my kid was flying through the windshield? Or what if the release lever hadn't failed until the moment I needed it most in order to pull my child from a dangerous wreck? Perhaps due to being "near" failure and then pushed over the edge by the impact?

crunchierthanthou

It just worries me that that would be used as an argument to use *any* harnessed seat for 10 years, even if it's past expiration.

well, parents could argue all sorts of reasons to misuse a seat. Only a few allow rf tether. Does that mean none should? There's a simple solution. Follow the specific directions for the particular seat.

equilibrium

The expiration? And how it fails? Likely so.

Wendy

Totally didn't even explain what I meant lol. Sorry! I meant would the new ten year expiry apply to Canadian seats like the Nautilus and the turbo booster.

Yes, the expiration /failure probably knows no geographical boundaries lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC