Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Tuscon by Hyundai

Does anyone here have experience with this SUV? I have some questions about fitting 3 across in it ETA a 2006 model or similar
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I have a 2005. I think it would be very difficult to get 3 across due to the way the seats slope in at the sides. A rfing radian fits really well though. Like it was made for this vehicle. What are the ages of the children?
    ~ Laura ~
    CRST-I & Mom to DD#1 November 2005 & DD#2 May 2008 and DD#3 August 2013

Re: Tuscon by Hyundai

Not 100% sure on the ages but
    #1 is 8ish in a NB TB, He is 84 pounds and 4ft7.
    #2 is 5ish He's 47inches and 44 pounds in a GN. (I don't think he is ready for booster fulltime yet but I can ask)
    #3 is on the way.

The mom is looking for carseat recommendations for both infant bucket and convertibles. She said money wasn't an issue since she can put it on layaway or pay when she gets her taxes back. She also has no problem moving #2 into a slimmer seat if needed.

I can try a few things. The GN will not work I don't think. I have a turbo, a MR and a radian I can try out later. I think it is going to be tough.
    ~ Laura ~

6. Thank You from:

also what convertables fit newborns well? I know that the RN and CCO do, are their others? Which infant buckets have a small footprint besides the SN35 and the keyfit30.

Unregistered

I have an 05 and LOVE it. I worked as a nanny over the summer and had three boosters in the back. It was a complete PAIN to buckle each but they fit. I'm thinking with proper placements of seats it could work. Maybe Radians and Marathon? The seat is probably too narrow to fit three across but maybe since the Marathon could overlap? I'd love to see pictures, previous poster!

bump

The MR fits newborns well. I can't answer the infant seat part. I will play around after lunch. It is going to be a tight squeeze!
    ~ Laura ~

So I was able to get a 3 across with a radian installed with the seatbelt in the centre. It required the female end of the buckle stalk to be twisted two full turns. Then a turbo behind the driver. It isn't the easiest thing to buckle. I was able to get a rfing radian behind the passenger seat but it is more upright than 45 degrees needed for a newborn. I used the seatbelt to install and also had to twist down the buckle two full twists. The MR was a no go outboard. It doesn't puzzle well with the radian centre.

I tried the MR centre but I couldn't get a configuration to work out. Mostly because of where the middle shoulder belt comes from on the ceiling. That part made everything difficult!

But I also tried a Evenflo Titan outboard and it fit really well. It fits newborns well I believe but wouldn't be a long lasting seat. If her kids are small it could work for a while.

I can post pics if you want also. I need to get them off my camera, but it will have to wait until after dinner.

It might be worthwhile to see if the 5 year old fit in a radian if they are not ready to booster him. HTHs a little. And maybe someone will chime in about infant seats. I don't have one at my disposal.
    ~ Laura ~

Senior Community Member

Regarding infant seats, I don't know about that vehicle specifically, but we've had success with the Combi Shuttle in 3 across situations, so you may want to check that one out, too. It was easy to buckle the booster next to it because of the shape of the base.

Unregistered

oooh, pictures please!