RSTV Review

Lemonade

I took the RSTV to my parents this summer to try with DS. At the time he was 5.5 and about 35# and 44". He normally rides in a FR80.

It was used in the center of my parents' 2011 MB ML350 SUV. DD's CCO was on one side, I was on the other. It worked well and I feel it restrained him adequately. There was some space above the shoulders (see pix) even though he is above the minimums for this device (size: small). I am not sure if that makes is unsafe or not. Wondering if he would ride up in the vest in a collision. I wouldn't feel comfortable using this in an outboard position at his size due to lack of side-impact protection. While not in the car, I left it 'installed' with the seatbelt through some of the metal guides. It was not difficult to use but I felt it did take more time that a true installed seat each time. Initially DS insisted on using the head pillow but realized it was not comfortable after a bit. Ultimately, DS got sick of it after a while and asked for a regular seat so I installed the radian I brought for him in my parents' car.

This is a great device in certain situations. I feel safe using it, save the lack of side impact protection. For an older or larger child, it would certainly be a good option for travel. We'll stick to traditional seats for now but I am keeping this in my van for emergencies like transporting additional children. I would consider using it for car travel after flying as well and would make sure DS was in a center position with a shell seat or adult on either side of him. I also purchased a pink one for DD. Technically she should fit in it at 31# and 38" but she swims in it and it does does appear safe at all. I will save that for a few years from now.

View attachment 12673

View attachment 12669

View attachment 12675

View attachment 12671

Comments on the pix and my use of the RSTV welcome as well.

Last edited:
ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Looks like a great fit. He will not ride up in a crash, especially since he is forward facing.

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It seems to me like the RSTV's minimum weight requirements are optimistic. Mine doesn't come close to fitting kids within the first 10 lbs or so of the minimum weight. :(

Other than that, I generally like it and although I wouldn't use it instead of a car seat for regular use either, it makes a great back-up and is good for packing for the destination on a plane/train trip. Mine fits easily in the spare tire compartment in my trunk, which is where I keep it in case I need it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC