Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

IIHS Evaluation of rear crash protection in SUVs, pickup trucks, & minivans

The IIHS has released the results of its evaluation of rear crash protection in 87 current model SUVs, pickups, and minivans, based on geometric measurements of head restraints and simulated crashes to assess how well vehicle occupants of different sizes would be protected from neck injury or whiplash in a typical rear crash. 54 of the evaluated models were assigned a rating of marginal or poor, while 21 models earned a good rating, and 12 were rated acceptable.

Click on this link for the IIHS news release and a video link: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr070307.html

Rear crash protection .pdf report, including SUV, pickup and minivan model rating charts: http://www.iihs.org/news/2007/iihs_news_070307.pdf Also of note in the report are new NHTSA requirements for improving front seat head restraints, to be phased in starting in September 2009. (No mention of any requirement or mandatory changes for improving rear seat head restraints, though.)

IIHS vehicle ratings page to see other passenger car models and/or other IIHS crash type evaluations: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: IIHS Evaluation of rear crash protection in SUVs, pickup trucks, & minivans

Interesting about the Honda Ody. I was just rear ended in heavy traffic almost 2 weeks ago. Dd and I were shook up but fine - no injuries. But whoa my rear hatch was smashed in well. I guess that absorbed the impact instead of us? And we inturn hit the construction pick up truck in front of us. It had a huge tow hitch and was not damaged at all. BUT the impact from behind me send my front down and under that hitch. I should post some pics. Its not pretty and still another week or more until its fixed
    Tracy momma to
    Felicia Rose (1/31/2000) Tiffany Parkway - 9 years old 50" 60 lbs~!
    Zach & Josh (2/17/05) In MAs and FPSVD - 4 yrs old and 35 and 38 lbs and 38 and 40 inches