replacing our sienna

alohaparenting

this weekend we were in a wreck in our 2008 toyota sienna
we are all okay - don't worry nothing bad happens in the story below, we are all okay( my heart is still racing thinking about it)
we were driving on a windy coastal hwy, going about 45 miles an hour
dh was driving- there was a three car collision, there was no where to go, one side was ocean, the other narrow hwy and oncoming traffic on a corner
I looked up from my knitting in time to see brake lights, then airbag and hearing my newborn just shrieking an awful scream
we both were trying to get out of our seat to get to our four kids, I said we needed to wait till we knew it was over, I was worried more cars would come up behind us and pile up, DH said it was over and I needed to get to my baby- i briefly remembered reading not to move kids from carseats in accidents, but they all seemed okay at first glance - dazed, but not even paniced or anything
the other kids were not crying or yelling, the airbags popping scared the daylights out of my newborn, she was just scared, but in that moment, I had no idea - I could not get my hands on her fast enough
she was in a marathon 70
my three year old was in a boulevard in the outboard middle and in the back my five year old was in a classic marathon and my 8 year old was in a radian sunshine - they were all okay- people were coming up running and just grabbing our kids out of the car, there was smoke and steam everywhere- everyone was asking if we were okay, I was so confused, but I could tell everyone was okay- just confused.
When my kids saw the van as people were grabbing them and getting them away from it- they got pretty freaked
the front end of the van was just - gone- just smashed completely - I have no idea how the engine was not on my lap
but the inside of the cab of the sienna - we were all fine, the front zone toke all the impact, the two other cars involved in the crash also had minimal dammage, our minivan did what it said it would and kept us all safe- it is totaled and destroyed- but again, we were all safe as was everyone else in the other vehicles

anyway!
we got home, and I reordered carseats- I got three britax frontier 85 sict and one britax avalon ( talk about putting the cart ahead of the horse- these things are huge - -hu mangous- HUGE) now not only am I car shopping for a safe vehicle-- but one that will fit four huge tanks of carseats

anyway! long story here- sorry folks-- what I am looking for - one of two things

on one hand
we loved our 2008 sienna - loved it- saw what those safety features did in action - can not believe what it looked like afterwards- and again, loved that car
it was SOOO very nearly paid off, we had no intention of getting back into car payments
...but.... clearly paying for teh safety features was worth it...
(what I really really really want is a 2008 sienna that is nearly paid off- HA!)

okay that is one hand

on the other hand, what if we got an older model sienna or similar something, because I am grimacing about getting right back into $500 a month payments all over again

silly question-- but did the safety standards change year to year? Like I see that the 2006 siennas were rated really good too... but was that good for the safety standards aviable at that time, and since then the bar has been raised as new technologies and such have come out? Do you see what I am asking? Are the safety ratings comparative for their time, or is a five star 2005 the same as a five star 2010 sienna, safe is safe is safe

When we had our sienna, the only thing I wished it could do was pull a pop up camper
and I think they make siennas with towing packages

gas milage does matter
and price tag does matter
and size-- we have four kids all in carseats
the two oldest get themselves in, the two youngest need hands on

DH wants the power sliding doors- what year did those come out?

I see on another thread here that 2004 was a bad year for siennas- and on another thread that the anchors are doofey in 2011- what about the 2012s?

and then of corse we could go with something else all together, like an SUV... but one that got better than awful gas milage, or a crossover that did not require my kids to climb over the middle seat to get to the back seat
(fitting the HUGE seats I got would be a plus, but really, not a deal breaker, I could exchange the csits for the regular frontier 85s and the avalon with the two side things for the regular one without them)
I have been reading all these threads and taking notes on what to be researching- so far I have two pages of notes on 'other than siennas' to be looking at- you folks are very informative! Thank you! I will post as I think up questions

I dont think my head is still on straight about the whole thing- but thanks in advance!

ADS

jenfrogmom

A Sienna can pull a pop up camper as long as you have the towing package and as long as it isn't too heavy. My best friend has an 06' Sienna and pulls a 12' Coleman pop up no problem. :) If I were you, and I liked the Sienna so much, I would get another.

luckyclov

If your Sienna served you well in your crash (glad everyone is OK, by the way), why not get another one? I would. I'm a more confident driver when I'm confident in my vehicle.:)

I've seen many Siennas with tow hitches, towing all kinds of stuff, so it's got to be possible.:p

I have a 2011 Sienna. What I really wanted when I was on my search last year was a new 2010, but there were none to be found. But I love my '11 far more then I thought I would. I wouldn't necessarily say the anchors are "doofey", there just isn't a bunch of "extras", like the '04/'05-'10 Siennas have. In the '11, there's a complete set of LATCH in each captain's chair and a slightly off-center set in the 3rd row (the center tether anchor can be used with either a lower anchor or center seatbelt install). There are no "extra" top tether anchors and, as of now, Toyota is not offering any sort of retrofit kit. I have older kids, so the lack of top tether anchors in the 3rd row wasn't a real concern for me.

I say...go for a certified pre-owned Sienna, 2005-2010. Many people had/have complaints about the 2004 model years, but I suspect it varies. I had a friend who had an '04 and they drove the crap out of it, and she never had any major complaints, that I remember. Power sliding doors have been an option for many years, it just depends on the trim (CE, LE, XE, XLE, etc).

livsmum

Having just bought an '09 Sienna LE two weeks ago, I'm thrilled to hear you're all safe and that the car held up well. Safety was my main concern when buying it - it replaced a Montana.

For reassurance, would you be able to post some photos of the damage? If you're still too shaky, I understand.

I too say get another Sienna.

Mags462

The safety features vary by trim levels in the earlier years.

I do not know about every year but in the 2004 and 2005 trim levels anything under "limited" didn't come standard with side curtain airbags. For example i drive a 2005 XLE, which is just one step down from the limited, but it does NOT have side curtain air bags nor does it have leather. But it does have a built in DVD player dual power doors/hatc, upgraded sound system, etc. Its really weird how they let people piece meal out the options in the earlier years. It was my understanding that in the 2006 model year side curtain air bags became standard at the XLE level as did leather and a few other features. No more "pick and choose" so to speak.

That said i am perfectly happy with my 2005 Sienna. We got it for a STEAL nearly 3 years ago and i plan to drive it for a LONG time. We bought it with 76K miles on it and now it has 96K. Not a hitch whatsoever. I plan to drive it in to the high 100's before i bother thinking about trading it in.

If i totaled my vehicle tomorrow and had to buy something new - i would get a Sienna that fits whatever ins. money they give me. So the newest highest trim level possible. :D I personally detest car payments, and haven't had one in a long time. ;)

alohaparenting

not having a car payment is awful tempting
I found a 2002 ce sienna - they are asking 4995 for it, but I am thinking we can talk them down a little from there
i am researching it tonight it has 139,000 miles
they said it was saefty checked- not sure what that means
I need to look into what I should be looking for when we test drive it too

and I think I will have to return the frontier 85 scits for the frontier 85s in order to get them to fit

what else should I consider with a sienna this age? from one of those sort of those smaller dealerships - the kind what the used car salesman that they draw cartoons sterio typing

SavsMom

not having a car payment is awful tempting
I found a 2002 ce sienna - they are asking 4995 for it, but I am thinking we can talk them down a little from there
i am researching it tonight it has 139,000 miles
they said it was saefty checked- not sure what that means
I need to look into what I should be looking for when we test drive it too

and I think I will have to return the frontier 85 scits for the frontier 85s in order to get them to fit

what else should I consider with a sienna this age? from one of those sort of those smaller dealerships - the kind what the used car salesman that they draw cartoons sterio typing

2002 was the 1st generation of the Sienna, not like the one you had - not as roomy not nearly as nice. I would spend a little more to get a newer vehicle with lower mileage. $5k for a 9-10 year old van with over 100k isn't a good deal in my book.

Mags462

Mmm, it depends. I personally find the older generation (pre-2004) to be cramped. What year was the one that was wrecked?

If you could theoretically get them down even more it might be a good deal. Take it to a mechanic have them check it out.

I totally understand the no payment thing, we always buy used. I have never bought a car with that many miles on it, but i have driven cars well beyond those miles! ;) I am not sure safety wise what that generation of vans was like but i am sure a quick google search can enlighten you.

Melanie

I'm so glad you're all ok. I'm a little confused on something. If your current van is almost paid for, you should be getting an amount almost equal to the value of the van. (- your deductible if it's your insurance paying). So you should be able to get a Sienna that's close to what you had. That's what I'm thinking at least. Have you already received the insurance check?

IF you needed just a little extra money to get into the year or model you want, you could always finance a low amount. The payment would be low and if you put the $500/month you'd been paying it would be paid off quickly. Just an idea.

livsmum

I'm so glad you're all ok. I'm a little confused on something. If your current van is almost paid for, you should be getting an amount almost equal to the value of the van. (- your deductible if it's your insurance paying). So you should be able to get a Sienna that's close to what you had. That's what I'm thinking at least. Have you already received the insurance check?

IF you needed just a little extra money to get into the year or model you want, you could always finance a low amount. The payment would be low and if you put the $500/month you'd been paying it would be paid off quickly. Just an idea.

/\
||

Everything that she said.

I wouldn't go from a 2008 to a 2002 - you'd be going backwards.

However, I don't blame you for not wanting $500 a month - that's high!!!!

alohaparenting

We got a 2007 fully loaded xle honda odyssey

now I have 3 frontier scit 85 and an advocate 70 cs in the boxes... and I think I am going to return them and get the ones with the scit and cs-- they seem like they would just be sooo wide that I would loose my 6 sixs to 4 seats

i will start another thread to see if anyone has pics of two scits in the rear of a honda

Thank you! Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC