Frustrated with daycare dad

Cathyliz

Senior Community Member
Little dude is 37" and 29lbs (tall and skinny!). He'll be three this month. Dad has him FF (has been since he hit 20lbs). First thing, I can NOT get him to take that Mighty Tight off the car seat! I've told him all the reasons it's not a good idea and can even be dangerous, but he says he likes that it's "rock solid" in there. Maybe I need to offer to show him how to do it without it. I don't think he'd go for it, though. He's kind of a know-it-all. So anyway, yesterday his aunt drops him off (mom's stationed in Spain right now) and tells me his current height and weight. She says dad's keeping a close eye on height and weight because he wants to put him in a booster seat. I asked, "In the car???" Yep. :doh: There is NO WAY Little Dude can sit safely in a booster! He's a very active and stubborn little guy. I can see him all over the back seat of dad's truck. And dad's the type that would just say, "Oh, you need to get back in your seat" and calmly keep driving down the road! Yes, this kid rules. This is also the same kid that can't put more than two recognizable words in a sentance. The rest is just babble. Dad insists there's nothing wrong with his speech, though. :hitselfonhead: In about three months it won't be my problem anymore because they're moving to Germany, but it still frustrates the heck out of me. :soapbox:
Okay, I'm done now.

ADS

Morganthe

In about three months it won't be my problem anymore because they're moving to Germany, but it still frustrates the heck out of me. :soapbox:
Okay, I'm done now.

Oooh, Daddy's going to get a wake up call in Germany. He's going to HAVE to keep little Dude in a 5pt harness or at least something like an Impact Cushion with the booster seat (which he won't like at all in comparison!). If his son gets loose and is wandering around the back seat, he will be pulled over by Base/Post or civillian police. :thumbsup:

Also by law, darling son MUST be in the back seat unless its full up of properly seated younger children. :whistle:

Here's hoping the kid survives daddy's parenting talents until then :rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't remember Germany's requirement for harnessing, but kids there have to be in a booster til either 12 years old or 4'11" :cool:

natysr

Wow! I can't beleive he wants to put him in a booster.

My son is about the same age as that boy. He will be 3 at the end of August. He is 1 inch shorter than that boy, but 5 pounds lighter. (he is super skinny). I could not even imagine putting him in a booster...much less having him forwardfacing.

I just don't understand why parents are in such a hurry...

Natalie, I just have to say how lucky you are that your DS is so light. LOL. My chunker was 22lbs at 6 months & a whopping 31lbs at 9 months. :eek:

skaterbabs

would the fact that the MT is ILLEGAL in several states make a difference? You don't have to mention that the law is rarely inforced.... :whistle:

Loves2sing

Well I am glad that kid is off to Germany, and I hope he gets pulled over before something awful happens! ((((hugs)))) to you! What a frustrating situation!!!

etoilech

Meh, I think you guys put too much faith in the Germans. They have laws, it doesn't mean they're enforced. I nearly lose my head when we're driving through Germany (on an Autobahn) where everyone is going oh, 100/110mph and I look over and see... 2 kids standing UP in the back of a van going faster than we are. :eek: :thumbsdown: We saw this MANY, many times. Unfortunately, no one country has cornered the market on stupidity.

What also burns my arse is people driving a Mercedes or BMW and using the crappiest, unsafe car seat they can find. Nice, huh?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Meh, I think you guys put too much faith in the Germans. They have laws, it doesn't mean they're enforced. I nearly lose my head when we're driving through Germany (on an Autobahn) where everyone is going oh, 100/110mph and I look over and see... 2 kids standing UP in the back of a van going faster than we are. :eek: :thumbsdown: We saw this MANY, many times. Unfortunately, no one country has cornered the market on stupidity.

Oh, that would be so scary! So, they're not any better about enforcing laws than our police are here? That stinks.
Cathyliz - you could tell him that the MTight is illegal, but that might work against you and give him even more reason to want to put little dude in a booster. Don't you hate having to deal with this kind of stuff?!

Cathyliz

Senior Community Member
What also burns my arse is people driving a Mercedes or BMW and using the crappiest, unsafe car seat they can find. Nice, huh?

That's because after their car payments they can't afford anything else!

My sil is from Germany (my brother was in the army and married her while stationed there) and I don't think my two nephews were EVER properly restrained. When my brother and I both went home at the same time several years ago my youngest nephew's carseat was a wreak! It was missing the chest clip (FF, he was 3yo), wasn't installed properly (VERY loose) and the harness straps were so loose, my nephew had both arms out to get something off the floor of the van, all while driving down the road at about 60mph! I ended up tightening everything for him and sending him an extra chest clip that I had. He asked me, "What's the big deal? He's got his seatbelt on?" ARGH!!!

etoilech

That's because after their car payments they can't afford anything else!

My sil is from Germany (my brother was in the army and married her while stationed there) and I don't think my two nephews were EVER properly restrained. When my brother and I both went home at the same time several years ago my youngest nephew's carseat was a wreak! It was missing the chest clip (FF, he was 3yo), wasn't installed properly (VERY loose) and the harness straps were so loose, my nephew had both arms out to get something off the floor of the van, all while driving down the road at about 60mph! I ended up tightening everything for him and sending him an extra chest clip that I had. He asked me, "What's the big deal? He's got his seatbelt on?" ARGH!!!

Ah, you see I get into a fight with my step-sister every time I see her (fortunately only one or twice a year) over how her car seats are installed. My nephews are 3 and nearly 1. One year old is FF (don't even get me started, she HAS a convertible seat that is RF till 33lbs.) and my little nephew is ff. The straps are never tight, always loose and no chest clips. :mad: No excuse she lives 5 minutes from a police station and could have them checked out anytime. She lives in NH.

I feel your pain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC