I hate car seat debating in real life!

Holly

Today we went out to lunch with my mil and sil. Dh was talking to mil about our plans to go to California in a few days on vacation.

He was like "We'd take you with us, but one of us would have to squish in the back between the kids, and there isn't enough room even though Hannah's new seat is really slim, Hey, Holly, what's her seat called again? Radian?"

"Yeah, it's a Radian." (Mil and Sil listening at this point) "I got it because it goes up to 65 lbs"

Sil: "Um, most seats go up to 80 lbs"

me: "I mean in a harness"

sil: "Yeah thats what I mean too"

But by that point she got distracted by her kids or something and not really listening to me anymore, we were all heading out right then too, so I didn't have a chance to tell her that there are only a couple seats that use a harness past 40 lbs, and a lot of the ones that go to 80 lbs or whatever can only be used that long as a belt positioning booster.

I was also not in the mood to argue about safety or "Why would a car seat manufacture put ok to use as booster at 30 lbs if it's not safe?" or other questions like that. dh's family is very "I know it all" types that will do what they want to do regardless of what you tell them, so when I have different opinions about stuff like that, I just stay quiet because I don't want to cause a problem with family or have them hold a grudge against me.

I have no idea what kind of seats her kids are in, I assume her 5 yr old is probably in a booster, and her 3 year old might be, but he might be in a harness too. Her 1 year old is probably still rearfacing because she is tiny. So I know sil does use car seats. I don't want to bombard her with info about Britax or other high harness and weight seats because I know it would make her mad, she and her dh are VERY broke all the time, and she also holds grudges, and she'd do what she wants to anyway, but be mad at me.

Should I say anything? I don't see her very often, maybe once every few months, and she and I are definetly not close.
She doesnt have an e-mail address (at least not that I know of)

Do people ever think they are right about car seats and try to argue with you about them, or they think you are nuts for buying such expensive seats or "torturing your poor kid because you make them ride in a 'baby seat' still" or "Manufactures wouldnt make them or say to use them in such and such a way if it were really dangerous"? I hate it when people refuse to change when stuff like this changes!

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Just me.. I probably wouldn't say anything unless they were in serious danger (i.e. no car seat at all). Cause although they're not "ideally" restrained and hey, maybe it's not best practice, the most important thing is that she uses what she DOES have correctly. But being that I guess she's what - virtually a stranger to you? I probably wouldn't, not worth it if she's going to hold a grudge, she might feel a little too bombarded.

Holly

Yeah, thats pretty much what I think too. I was just annoyed that she seemed to think that our seat is dumb, like I should have gotten a seat that goes to 80 lbs, even though she doesnt know that the seats she is thinking of are not really harnessing that high, and that mine really is one of the better options. I don't want her to think I critisize her kids seats, because I don't, I just would like to explain more about our seat and why I chose it. I don't want her to think I am crazy for getting it. I guess I just care too much what others think of me. I dont really want to bring it up though. I probably wont.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I get in debates with people all the time.

I also get defensive. For example, I convinced a friend of mine to keep her DD RF as long as possible. We talked about keeping the importance of keeping the baby RF as long as possible. My friend said, "Well, maybe when she is 2.5 or 3 she can turn around."
The baby is now 18 months old and just got turned FF. The reason? "Well Jackie and Anne have kids the same age and they turned them FF. They think I am weird that my DD was still RF." Peer-pressure at this age!!! I got really defensive and mad (and sad!).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Gee, what'll they do when their friends let their kids go partying?

I also don't give unsolicited advice unless it's a family/friend with obvious gross misuse/nonuse. If it's a stranger with gross mis/nonuse then I just call the police.

I do consider it a solicitation, though, when someone tries to tell me Britax seats are bad because they have recalls :rolleyes: Yeah, meanwhile they're using the Evenflo in which a coupel thousand kids were injured before they bothered to recall it :whistle:

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I do consider it a solicitation, though, when someone tries to tell me Britax seats are bad because they have recalls :rolleyes: Yeah, meanwhile they're using the Evenflo in which a coupel thousand kids were injured before they bothered to recall it :whistle:

I just told people (strangers) the other day to not pay attention to if a company has has recalls (since they all have!!!), but pay attention to how the company handled the recalls and if the same issue kept coming up over and over and over again. The father-to-be said, "That's true. I guess they all probably have had recalls." :) :cool:

Wineaux

Ask her if Jackie and Anne's kids have both started playing "Doctor", if she wants her kid to do the same. I mean Jackie and Anne might think she's weird for not letting her kid "explore".

There should be a loophole in the assault laws that would allow one to ***** slap an idiot as needed to knock some sense into them...

Kellyr2

If someone IRL told me that many seats harness to 80 lbs, I'd just nicely mention that the manufacturers of those seats have been putting misleading information on the boxes for years, but that the manual is much clearer on the matter, and that the harnesses are indeed only for up to 40 lbs. Blaming the manufacturers keeps people from getting so defensive, plus it really is Cosco's fault for just putting "5-80 lbs!!" on all the boxes and websites, it confuses people. It's easier to hear that you've been lied to than it is to hear that you're wrong.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hey, beats my husband's single bullet theory (you get a gun and one bullet to last your whole life, use it at your discretion)... :eek:

Loves2sing

There should be a loophole in the assault laws that would allow one to ***** slap an idiot as needed to knock some sense into them...

I completley agree! LOL!

Until someone attacked you and then claimed the loophole as their excuse?

If I need the sence knocked into me, go right ahead please! I would rather be slapped than have a dead child because I refused to listen!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC