Yay for parentcenter!

Jordynsmama

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/64875.html?scid=pcbulletin:20070702:0:0:0

My fave quote...."Just be sure that he rides in a rear-facing seat specially designed to hold children weighing up to 35 pounds or a convertible car seat that's made to hold children weighing up to 35 pounds in a rear-facing position or up to 40 pounds in a forward-facing position. (Note: The 12-months-and-20-pounds rule that many parents cite when turning their child forward in the car is actually the minimum size and age requirement."

Woohoo!

ADS

scatterbunny

Wow, that is SO cool! Just being nit-picky, but they make it sound like there are infant-only seats that go to 35 pounds, or you can get a convertible that RF to 35 pounds and then FF UP TO 40 pounds; like the FF to less than that? And they don't FF longer than that?

But yeah, just being nit-picky--it's AWESOME that they made the distinction between the bare minimum for FF and what's actually safest!:D

CRS

Senior Community Member
Very cool! What a well written article - pity it doesn't have the authors name on it. Wonder if it was CPST?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There is some funny wording in that, but it is GREAT nonetheless!!!! HORRAY!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :D

Jordynsmama

Yeah it wasn't perfect ;) but where they are talking about rf'ing-I think they just meant use it rf'ing to 35lbs and they may have mentioned convertible seat b/c the infant seats only go to 22 pounds usually, so maybe they were steering people away from that. And then they probably wanted people to know after 35 most seats you must ff to 40lbs. I mean the only seats that go past 40 are Britax and the radian and a few other nobody has ever heard of(nobody has heard of the radian either probably) but they should mention that some can ff to 65 pounds. They aren't up on extended harnessing yet, but at least they got rf down.
This one line is misleading.... Your child should ride in a booster seat from the time he weighs 40 pounds (and is at least 3 years old) until he's 4 feet 9 inches tall and at least 8 years old.

I know they are emphasizing to not just go from a car seat to a seatbelt, but it obviously gives the impression that once your child is 40lbs you have no option but to booster them. There really needs to be more marketing for extended harnessing.

skaterbabs

Not to mention that it should be FOUR, not three for booster use. A 3 yo has no business in a booster.

skaterbabs

While I agree that the average 4 yo doesn't, with the currently available seats it's an acceptoble minimum. Certainly better than THREE. Good lord - what ARE they smoking over there?

mommycat

I just read this too, and was happy to see at least some great info mixed in to the somewhat misleading info. The "up to 40 lb" convertible comment and the booster after 40 lb/3 yr irked me as well, but at least they said to keep your kid boostered and out of just a seatbelt until a decent age/height. Whee!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC