Another "would you turn him" thread... please help me decide!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Sam turned 3 last month, he's 30 pounds and 38" tall, but with a tiny torso. He mainly rides in my car, RF in a Radian 65, and he's got probably 4 inches over his head, so he's nowhere near outgrowing it yet.

But my problem is - at least a dozen times in the past month, he's unbuckled the seat belt holding it in (no latch in my car). He's done it before with his feet, I think unknowingly, but now he's figured out how to reach it with his hand.

We've had serious discussions about it every time, every time he understands that if his seat belt isn't buckled, he could get really really hurt and I've used all the language he understands and he tells me he's sorry and he looks really scared but then, a day or two later - he does it again. We've done different distractions, special car toys, velcro on the buckle... and it doesn't bother him. I guess the only thing I haven't done is try to block the buckle with cardboard or something. I already have to do 3 buckle stalk twists, so I can't turn it around or anything.

I'm just frustrated and terrified that the one time I don't hear the click of the buckle and pull over (which is soooooo fun) we're going to get in an accident. Or we'll get in an accident for me constantly feeling the need to turn around and check that it's buckled. I know he would be a thousand times safer FF than RF in an uninstalled seat.

Sigh. My RF goal was always 3, and we're there... my plan now that we're coming into winter was to keep him RF through the winter and then re evaluate in the spring when he's 3 1/2 and see where he's at growth wise, etc.

So, do I just go ahead and turn him? Or MacGyver the buckle? Halp.

ADS

Dillipop

Can you try him in one of your other seats in your main car? Maybe he won't be able to reach the buckle in the MR or MA.

I see you have him ffing sometimes in other cars. If you need to use the radian in one of the cars, I'd use it ffing in one of the other cars.

Otherwise, know that if you decide to turn him, he will still be very safe in the car. A properly installed ffing seat is MUCH better than an unbuckled rfing seat. At 3 years old it will be fine if you need to turn him around.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Thanks - yeah my husband's car is a small Acura sedan and he was RF in the Marathon for quite a while in there, but it got to be so cramped getting him in and out and he is ALL LEGS so we decided to FF him a few months ago for the 2-3 times a week he rides in Dad's car. And we have a club cab pickup the Maestro is in that he rides in very occasionally.

The MyRide is RF in my mom's car - she picks him up from preschool twice a week. I *could* put him in the Marathon, it's just pretty cramped for leg room (he's 38" tall and he wears 4T pants that are barely long enough lol).

Thanks for your thoughts! I think the hardest part for me is that it's SO much easier to convince the parents of 1-2 year olds that I work with to keep their kids RF when I tell them my own 3 year old is RF 90% of the time. I wish this was easier!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Can you use the MR as his main RF seat? Since it sits higher, it should be much harder for him to do this.

As for FF him, he doesn't unbuckle FF? Seems to me it would be just as easy for him, if not easier, as he wouldn't have to lean forward to do so. Just something to keep in mind, that it may not resolve the issue.

ETA: we cross posted and you addressed my 2nd paragraph :)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Can you use the MR as his main RF seat? Since it sits higher, it should be much harder for him to do this.

As for FF him, he doesn't unbuckle FF? Seems to me it would be just as easy for him, if not easier, as he wouldn't have to lean forward to do so. Just something to keep in mind, that it may not resolve the issue.

ETA: we cross posted and you addressed my 2nd paragraph :)

Yeah FF I can put him in the center (it won't install RF in the center, so annoying) and with the big locking latchplate lap belt buckle, I don't think he'll be able to reach it. I may try him for a couple days and see how he does, I dunno yet.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd try the MR RF first before flipping him FF. But I hadn't ever set myself an age goal so that's what I would do personally for my child.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Can you flip the buckle so the button isn't exposed?

Nope... it takes 3 buckle stalk turns already to get a secure install, and my buckles are one-way, they won't buckle backwards anyway.

I think I'm going to switch to the Marathon RF for a couple weeks and see if he forgets how much fun it is to unbuckle and switch back to the Radian then.

ElfJewel

Can you put a sock or tp tube or something over the buckle? Something to make it harder to unbuckle? I would prefer to RF at that age and size but if nothing works he would still be very safe FF.

Mommy2Marcus

I know that alot of after market items are frowned upon here, but I think in this case there is something that could help. There is something called a seat belt cover that I would highly consider using here. It is just a plastic cover/sheild that goes over the belt buckle to keep it from being unbuckled. I thought about buying one myself for my car when I was keeping my nephews alot b/c I was always in fear they would accidently unbuckle Marcus' seat & I wouldn't realize it.

I don't see how it would affect anything except to keep him from unbuckling his seat. Does anyone see how this could hurt anything? Here is the link:
http://www.mypreciouskid.com/seat-belt-cover-angel-guard.html

lourdes

Does your mom car have lower anchors?? You can get the my ride for you and install the radian with latch on your mom car

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC