Travel Seat

cat mommy

We might be flying to Europe in December. DD has outgrown her Scenera. DS may or may not fit at that point. They will be 24 months adjusted age.

We have CARES harnesses for the plane (they work fantastic for us) and could do public transportation in Europe. But, it will be a nightmare getting from the airport to our destination without a rental car or using an airport transit van. It is doable, but picture two exhausted toddlers, one adult, several bags and having to take a bus, then a subway and then walking several blocks. :banginghead:

So I think taking seats that we can put into either into a rental or airport transit van is the way to go.

So, what seats would work?

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do the airport transit vans have seatbelts, or are they little shuttle buses? If so, I'd just take the CARES and be done with it. If they're actual vans, how about Maestros?

Wendy

gigi

If you bring American seats, just make sure you know how to use a locking clip because the seatbelts in European cars don't lock and most cars don't have latch. Also FYI, they don't top tether seats, so very very few cars have FF top tethers. If you rent, try to get an american car because those often do have latch/isofix hooks and tethers.

I've had great luck traveling to/in Europe with my maestro...it is a very easy install with the locking clip. Attach a gym bag strap to the latch hook storage loops and sling it over your shoulder...makes it very easy to carry it around the airport. And it works very well on planes, except for the open belt path that places the airplane seat buckle in the child's lower back. We solved that problem by using a diaper as padding but any cloth will do.

rachelandtyke

And it works very well on planes, except for the open belt path that places the airplane seat buckle in the child's lower back. We solved that problem by using a diaper as padding but any cloth will do.

Could a seatbelt extender alleviate this problem? I always had to use one when we traveled with our Blvd since the belt path was hard to access ffing while on the plane.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A seatbelt extender would work, if it's a problem for the child. Piper had the buckle behind her in her Radian, and she didn't care in the least. So at least with her and that carseat it wasn't an issue.

Wendy

gigi

rachelandtyke said:
Could a seatbelt extender alleviate this problem? I always had to use one when we traveled with our Blvd since the belt path was hard to access ffing while on the plane.

A seat belt extender does help with the boulevard unbuckling problem, but not with the Maestro open belt path. My son is 4.5 and VERY verbal, he said with the diaper between him and the seat he was completely comfortable. He regularly takes 6-7 hour plane rides in it and is fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC