Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travel Seat

Carseat Crazy

Travel Seat

We might be flying to Europe in December. DD has outgrown her Scenera. DS may or may not fit at that point. They will be 24 months adjusted age.

We have CARES harnesses for the plane (they work fantastic for us) and could do public transportation in Europe. But, it will be a nightmare getting from the airport to our destination without a rental car or using an airport transit van. It is doable, but picture two exhausted toddlers, one adult, several bags and having to take a bus, then a subway and then walking several blocks.

So I think taking seats that we can put into either into a rental or airport transit van is the way to go.

So, what seats would work?
    Last edited by cat mommy; 10-18-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Whoops...I posted in wrong forum. Mods, please move. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Travel Seat

Do the airport transit vans have seatbelts, or are they little shuttle buses? If so, I'd just take the CARES and be done with it. If they're actual vans, how about Maestros?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

The airport vans are vans (not buses) and they do have seatbelts.

CPS Fanatic
    If you bring American seats, just make sure you know how to use a locking clip because the seatbelts in European cars don't lock and most cars don't have latch. Also FYI, they don't top tether seats, so very very few cars have FF top tethers. If you rent, try to get an american car because those often do have latch/isofix hooks and tethers.

I've had great luck traveling to/in Europe with my maestro...it is a very easy install with the locking clip. Attach a gym bag strap to the latch hook storage loops and sling it over your shoulder...makes it very easy to carry it around the airport. And it works very well on planes, except for the open belt path that places the airplane seat buckle in the child's lower back. We solved that problem by using a diaper as padding but any cloth will do.

7. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    And it works very well on planes, except for the open belt path that places the airplane seat buckle in the child's lower back. We solved that problem by using a diaper as padding but any cloth will do.
    Could a seatbelt extender alleviate this problem? I always had to use one when we traveled with our Blvd since the belt path was hard to access ffing while on the plane.
    DD1: 14, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 10, LBTB, Harmony Youth Booster
    DD2: 6, Chicco KidFit, HBTB w/ SS

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

A seatbelt extender would work, if it's a problem for the child. Piper had the buckle behind her in her Radian, and she didn't care in the least. So at least with her and that carseat it wasn't an issue.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelandtyke

Could a seatbelt extender alleviate this problem? I always had to use one when we traveled with our Blvd since the belt path was hard to access ffing while on the plane.
    A seat belt extender does help with the boulevard unbuckling problem, but not with the Maestro open belt path. My son is 4.5 and VERY verbal, he said with the diaper between him and the seat he was completely comfortable. He regularly takes 6-7 hour plane rides in it and is fine.