Nautilus Minimums

scoutingbear

Maddie, when fully clothed, now meets the minimum requirements for the nautilus. Whatdya think? I did not put the infant padding in, because, well, I am lazy. It would have improved the fit of the harness a bit I think. (Okay, so I was also lazy and brought the headrest all the way down and didn't rethread either :eek: ). But you get the general idea. If you go by the no sitting on the crotch strap rule, she would need the one further out which I feel makes the harness too loose around her hips and legs. Even with rethreading, it wouldn't have been snug enough for my liking. The padding would have cushioned her a bit, but again, even though she meets the requirements I don't feel that it fits her well and I wouldn't use it for her unless there was an OMG Zombies! attack...and then I might not even bother. She will be rearfacing for a LONG time to come. :) She just hit 20 pounds, even, with clothes and shoes on. And she hasn't been eating all week so I don't guarantee she'll stay there! Ignore the dirt on the seat. There is a reason it is in the house!

Headrest all the way down. Harness would be above her shoulders on the lowest setting, even with the padding.
CIMG0173-1.jpg

For comparison, headrest all the way up.
CIMG0175.jpg

ADS

scoutingbear

That's scary to see such a little Maddie in a big Nauti!

And there is a reason I posted to here and NOT FB.

And the dirt really isn't as bad as the photos make it seem. Darn GREYco seat, mud, 5 year old, and bad lighting!

Brianna

It looks like it's swallowing her! Sadly she's not the smallest child I've seen in a Nauti, somebody on FB posted her 7 or 8 month in one, and without the headrest at that :eek:

Pixels

I have a pic of DD at almost 8 months, 18 pounds, almost 25 inches. With the infant padding, the bottom slots were about even with her earlobe. The padding boosted her bottom enough that the lap belts were pretty level. The top of her head was even with the belt guides.

Even though the seat dwarfed her, I was pleased at how well contained she was by the harness.

VoodooChile

Here's my ds in dd's Frontier 80 when he was about 7 months (I think):
ETA: He's not even close at this age and size to the minimums for this seat (which for anyone reading and not familiar with it is 2 years and 25 lbs). Even now at 2.5, he's rear-facing and doesn't ride in a Frontier yet! This was totally a just-for-fun picture.
Frontier--Jason.jpg

Last edited:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Here is Alex at the bare minimums, 1 yo exactly, 27 inches exactly , and 20 lbs fully clothed with heavy shoes on. Note his little feet don't even make it to the edge of the seat bottom, his legs are SOOO short. :) (just to be clear, this was NOT his seat, it was 4 yo big sister's..he is now 3 y 10 months and still has never been allowed to ride in this seat LOL )

IMG_2566.jpg

2BunniesMommy

Wow, she looks so tiny in it. I thought it fit better on babies that meet it's minimums.

I posted a pic of Alli when she was about 6 or 7 months in an orignal Frontier (I have since removed it from the site, but last I checked it still showed up on Google) on the lowest settings, and she fit great.

BTW, I love Maddie's expression and hands in the second pic! LOL, like she is saying "what the heck!"

jeminijad

Looks about like my nephew when my SIL put him into his Nautilus... he was a tiny 12 month old.

Now he rides just in the backless part. At not quite 4, and 30 lbs.

I got distracted. M apologies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC