Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Nautilus Minimums

Maddie, when fully clothed, now meets the minimum requirements for the nautilus. Whatdya think? I did not put the infant padding in, because, well, I am lazy. It would have improved the fit of the harness a bit I think. (Okay, so I was also lazy and brought the headrest all the way down and didn't rethread either ). But you get the general idea. If you go by the no sitting on the crotch strap rule, she would need the one further out which I feel makes the harness too loose around her hips and legs. Even with rethreading, it wouldn't have been snug enough for my liking. The padding would have cushioned her a bit, but again, even though she meets the requirements I don't feel that it fits her well and I wouldn't use it for her unless there was an OMG Zombies! attack...and then I might not even bother. She will be rearfacing for a LONG time to come. She just hit 20 pounds, even, with clothes and shoes on. And she hasn't been eating all week so I don't guarantee she'll stay there! Ignore the dirt on the seat. There is a reason it is in the house!

Headrest all the way down. Harness would be above her shoulders on the lowest setting, even with the padding.

For comparison, headrest all the way up.
    Karen
    A: 11 C: 9 M1: 5 M2: 6 months
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Nautilus Minimums

That's scary to see such a little Maddie in a big Nauti!
    Kacie, CPST.
    Aunt to SIX little loves between the ages of two weeks and seven years!

Quote Originally Posted by Kac View Post
    That's scary to see such a little Maddie in a big Nauti!
    And there is a reason I posted to here and NOT FB.

And the dirt really isn't as bad as the photos make it seem. Darn GREYco seat, mud, 5 year old, and bad lighting!
    Karen
    A: 11 C: 9 M1: 5 M2: 6 months
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]

It looks like it's swallowing her! Sadly she's not the smallest child I've seen in a Nauti, somebody on FB posted her 7 or 8 month in one, and without the headrest at that

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

I have a pic of DD at almost 8 months, 18 pounds, almost 25 inches. With the infant padding, the bottom slots were about even with her earlobe. The padding boosted her bottom enough that the lap belts were pretty level. The top of her head was even with the belt guides.

Even though the seat dwarfed her, I was pleased at how well contained she was by the harness.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Senior Community Member VoodooChile's Avatar

Here's my ds in dd's Frontier 80 when he was about 7 months (I think):
    ETA: He's not even close at this age and size to the minimums for this seat (which for anyone reading and not familiar with it is 2 years and 25 lbs). Even now at 2.5, he's rear-facing and doesn't ride in a Frontier yet! This was totally a just-for-fun picture.
    Last edited by VoodooChile; 10-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.
    Dd 10/2005--Incognito
    Ds 3/2009--Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro, Clek Oobr

Here is Alex at the bare minimums, 1 yo exactly, 27 inches exactly , and 20 lbs fully clothed with heavy shoes on. Note his little feet don't even make it to the edge of the seat bottom, his legs are SOOO short. (just to be clear, this was NOT his seat, it was 4 yo big sister's..he is now 3 y 10 months and still has never been allowed to ride in this seat LOL )

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

She looks so tiny in it!!!!

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Wow, she looks so tiny in it. I thought it fit better on babies that meet it's minimums.

I posted a pic of Alli when she was about 6 or 7 months in an orignal Frontier (I have since removed it from the site, but last I checked it still showed up on Google) on the lowest settings, and she fit great.

BTW, I love Maddie's expression and hands in the second pic! LOL, like she is saying "what the heck!"

Senior Community Member jeminijad's Avatar

Looks about like my nephew when my SIL put him into his Nautilus... he was a tiny 12 month old.

Now he rides just in the backless part. At not quite 4, and 30 lbs.

I got distracted. M apologies.
    R, 2/09 * various boosters
    C, 5/11 * FF in Radians
    O, 12/14 * RF in Radians

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope