Can someone proof this info sheet for DD's preschool?

Lemonade

Director was very open to including an info sheet. This is what I have. Most of it is stolen from something someone had on a FB page a while back that I copied to my FB notes. Not sure who it was and I'm sorry you're not getting credit for it. THANKS!

CAR SEAT REMINDERS

1) POSITION OF THE HARNESS – The shoulder harness must come from at or below your child’s shoulders for rear facing, at or above for forward facing.

2) IT’S A CHEST CLIP, NOT A BELLY CLIP – The top of the chest clip should be aligned with the armpits.

3) SNUG AS A HUG – Make sure the straps are tightened properly. Rule of thumb: you shouldn’t be able to pinch a horizontal fold in the strap.

4) KNOW YOUR SEAT’S LIMITS – A seat is outgrown rear-facing when either the weight limit is reached OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it. A seat is outgrown forward-facing when any one of these happen: a) weight limit is reached, b) Shoulders are above the top harness slots, c) tops of ears are above the hard plastic shell. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight.

5) UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE LATCH – In most cases “borrowing” outboard LATCH to install the car seat in the center is not acceptable. Approved LATCH positions should be outlined in your vehicle manual. Also, car seats are not meant to be installed using both the LATCH and a seat belt at the same time. One or the other, not both.

In most cars, you can’t use the LATCH system after 40lbs. Check your vehicle manual.

8) EXTENDED REAR FACING – Toddlers riding forward facing are 5X more likely to be seriously injured than if they are riding rear facing. For this reason, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that toddlers should remain rear-facing until at least the age of 2 years. Your child’s feet will touch the seat back; however this is perfectly safe since the forces in an accident are typically directed to the front or side of the car. Legs are actually more likely to be broken forward facing than rear-facing…and besides a broken leg is better than a broken neck!

9) HOW LONG DO WE HARNESS – Child passenger safety advocates recommend harnessing past the 4 year and 40lb legal minimum, up until 6 years old. At 6 years, a child’s bones are more solid and mature to take crash forces from a seat belt, a child is better able to sit properly in a booster, and understand the importance of keeping a seat belt in place. 

10) WHICH KIND OF BOOSTER – High back boosters are recommended over backless boosters because they provide side impact protection, artificial hips, and tend to better position children in the seat.

11) OUT OF THE BOOSTER – Your child should use a booster until she can pass the five step test. Google it!

12) COLD WEATHER CLOTHING – Bulky coats prevent you from getting a tight fit with the straps. In an accident the filler will compress leaving your child essentially with loose harnesses that may not be able to restrain her. Use a thinner jacket, like fleece.

13) EXPIRATION DATES – Car seats do expire. The hot/cold cycling fatigues the plastic and it no longer has the original strength. The expiration date and/or manufacture date are stamped right onto the seat. Check your manual for more information. Also, a car seat “expires” when it’s been in any accident.

Replacements are generally covered by insurance in this case.

14) SEATCHECKS AND MORE INFORMATION – To have your seat checked or ask questions about your specific seat or vehicle, please go to CAR-SEAT.ORG. You can also find a seat check in your area by going to SEATCHECK.ORG.

ADS

luckyclov

For #1 and #4, I would just emphasize reading the child seat's manual. The Graco Smart Seat, for instance, requires the harness to always be below the shoulders for rear-facing (in ref to #1). And not ALL seats follow the 1" of hard shell above head "rule" (in ref to #4) for rear-facing.

#10 - backless boosters also provide "artificial" hips. Also, include a snippet on when a HBB is outgrown. Something I see ALL THE TIME is kids riding around in outgrown HBBs, with the shoulder belt being pulled off their shoulder.

#11 - instead of asking people to Google 5-stepping (which many aren't likely to), I'd toss the 5-steps in yourself. I might also include the importance of adequate head support, especially in backless boostered and adult seatbelted kids.

#13 - not ALL child seats have to be replaced after ANY crash. Some can be reused after a minor crash. Again, emphasize reading the child seat's manual.

ETA: You could try attaching this to your hand-out as well : http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic Injury Control/Articles/Associated Files/4StepsFlyer.pdf

Good job!:thumbsup:

Lemonade

For #1 and #4, I would just emphasize reading the child seat's manual. The Graco Smart Seat, for instance, requires the harness to always be below the shoulders for rear-facing (in ref to #1). And not ALL seats follow the 1" of hard shell above head "rule" (in ref to #4) for rear-facing.

Backless boosters also provide "artificial" hips (in ref to #10).

#11 - instead of asking people to Google 5-stepping (which many aren't likely to), I'd toss the 5-steps in yourself. I might also include the importance of adequate head support, especially in backless boostered and adult seatbelted kids.

Good job!:thumbsup:

THX! I'll add a line about knowing your seat's manual. I'm trying to keep it as short as possible. Since this is for preschool I think I won't add the extra lines for 5-step. It will put it over 1 page and I'm afraid I will scare people from it all together.

The main points I'm trying to get across are tightening the darn harness and getting little kids out of backless boosters!

mama2girls

I would like to suggest adding another point between 9 & 10 about WHEN TO BOOSTER. You've covered most of the points in #9, but early boostering is where I personally see the most misuse, so I think it can't be talked about enough. I would mention 4yrs/40 lbs as minimum for PT booster use and 5/6 yrs for FT use, lack of size and skeletal maturity increases risk of injury vs. harnessing, proper booster fit, etc.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
For #2, I change the capitalized test to:

CHEST CLIP - The top of the chest clip should be aligned with the armpits.

The chest clip should never be on the belly.

The way the capitalized text is worded right now sounds like it's saying, "it's a chest clip, not a belly clip, you idiot".

Lemonade

Thanks for the suggestions. I made some changes and fixed the numbers. What do you think? Are the stats at the beginning too much?

1) STATISTICS – Motor vehicle accidents account for over half of all accidental deaths in children. Roughly 80% of car seats are installed or used incorrectly. Please take the time to read the remainder of this document.

2) KNOW YOUR MANUAL – Take the time to read your seat’s manual and store it safely for reference. Most seats follow the same set of rules but there are always exceptions worth knowing about.

3) POSITION OF THE HARNESS – The shoulder harness must come from at or below your child’s shoulders for rear facing, at or above for forward facing.

4) CHEST CLIP – The top of the chest clip should be aligned with the armpits.

It should never be on the belly.

5) SNUG AS A HUG – Make sure the straps are tightened properly. Rule of thumb: you shouldn’t be able to pinch a horizontal fold in the strap.

6) KNOW YOUR SEAT’S LIMITS – A seat is outgrown rear-facing when either the weight limit is reached OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it. A seat is outgrown forward-facing when any one of these happen: a) weight limit is reached, b) Shoulders are above the top harness slots, c) tops of ears are above the hard plastic shell. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight.

7) UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE LATCH – In most cases “borrowing” outboard LATCH to install the car seat in the center is not acceptable. Approved LATCH positions should be outlined in your vehicle manual. Also, car seats are not meant to be installed using both the LATCH and a seat belt at the same time. One or the other, not both.

In most cars, you can’t use the LATCH system after 40lbs. Check your vehicle manual.

8) REAR FACING – Toddlers riding forward facing are 5X more likely to be seriously injured than if they are riding rear facing. For this reason, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that toddlers should remain rear-facing until at least the age of 2 years. Your child’s feet will touch the seat back; however this is perfectly safe since the forces in an accident are typically directed to the front or side of the car. Legs are actually more likely to be broken forward facing than rear-facing…and besides a broken leg is better than a broken neck!

9) HARNESS OR SEATBELT BOOSTER – Child passenger safety advocates strongly recommend harnessing past the 4 year AND 40lb legal minimum, up until 6 years old. At 6 years, a child’s bones are more solid and mature to take crash forces from a seat belt, a child is better able to sit properly in a booster, and understand the importance of keeping a seat belt in place.

10) SEATBELT BOOSTERS: HIGH VS LOW BACK – High back boosters are recommended over backless boosters. They are 70% safer because they provide side impact protection and better position the child in the seat. 
When boostered, the lap belt should sit high on the thigh, not on the stomach. The shoulder belt should neither ride up on the neck, nor fall off the shoulder. Boosters may never be used in seating positions where only a lap belt is available.

11) OUT OF THE BOOSTER – Your child should use a booster until s/he can pass the ‘five step test’. Google ‘five step test’ for criteria.

12) COLD WEATHER CLOTHING – Bulky coats prevent you from getting a tight fit with the straps. In an accident the filler will compress leaving your child essentially with loose harnesses that may not be able to restrain her. Use a thinner jacket, like fleece.

13) EXPIRATION DATES – Car seats do expire. The hot/cold cycling fatigues the plastic and it no longer has the original strength. The expiration date and/or manufacture date are stamped right onto the seat. Check your manual for more information. Also, a car seat “expires” when it’s been in any accident.

14) SEAT CHECKS AND MORE INFORMATION – To have your seat checked or ask questions about your specific seat or vehicle, please go to CAR-SEAT.ORG. You can also find a seat check in your area by going to SEATCHECK.ORG.

bnsnyde

Pull them in with age. I see 3-year-olds in backless boosters at preschool all the time. Let's assume most will glance at it. IS YOUR CHILD UNDER 6 IN A BOOSTER?

Then mention how a backless might be an OK choice for a 10-year-old. So they'll see 10 and realize you don't ditch the booster at age 8, in most cases.

Age, age, age... :)

Maybe a mention of affordable harnessed seats? To point them in the right direction...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd probably change "OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it" to "OR the child reaches the rear-facing height limit as defined in the owner's manual".

And maybe this, "will compress leaving your child essentially with loose harnesses that may not be able to restrain her" to something like this "will compress leaving your child with a harness loose enough to allow ejection" or "will compress leaving your child with a loose harness that may not provide the proper restraint".

And sorry for piping in with random comments. I'm doing some work stuff and just skimming each time I pop in. :eek:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you want you can put my contact information for checks. Let me know and I'll send you my email. :)

Lemonade

I'd probably change "OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it" to "OR the child reaches the rear-facing height limit as defined in the owner's manual".

How many RF seats are something other than 1"? And are the rules so different than 1" that it would be detrimental? I'm just thinking it might be better to put the rule out there because my expectation is that very few, if any, will actually pull out their manual. I put a manual disclaimer in #2.

And maybe this, "will compress leaving your child essentially with loose harnesses that may not be able to restrain her" to something like this "will compress leaving your child with a harness loose enough to allow ejection" or "will compress leaving your child with a loose harness that may not provide the proper restraint".

Switched this to the ejection language.

And sorry for piping in with random comments. I'm doing some work stuff and just skimming each time I pop in. :eek:

Your comments are much-appreciated.

Lemonade

Pull them in with age. I see 3-year-olds in backless boosters at preschool all the time. Let's assume most will glance at it. IS YOUR CHILD UNDER 6 IN A BOOSTER?

Good idea.

Then mention how a backless might be an OK choice for a 10-year-old. So they'll see 10 and realize you don't ditch the booster at age 8, in most cases.

Age, age, age... :)

Maybe a mention of affordable harnessed seats? To point them in the right direction...

I'll add 'seat suggestions' to the last thing they can contact car-seat.org for. I was going to say something about how backless boosters are great for older kids but how do I define what older kids means?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How many RF seats are something other than 1"? And are the rules so different than 1" that it would be detrimental? I'm just thinking it might be better to put the rule out there because my expectation is that very few, if any, will actually pull out their manual. I put a manual disclaimer in #2.

Well the Complete Air is 40", infant seats are commonly 30" and 32" (I know it's standard to tell folks the 1" rule, but if you call the manufacturers they usually stick to their numerical height limit), and I thought I read that the new Diono seats had a 1.5" rule? Maybe just stating that the seat is outgrown RF when the weight or height limit is reached? They have to go to their manual for the weight limit anyway, or at least to the stickers on the seat. Are the height limits on the stickers in the U.S. too?

Lemonade

Well the Complete Air is 40", infant seats are commonly 30" and 32" (I know it's standard to tell folks the 1" rule, but if you call the manufacturers they usually stick to their numerical height limit), and I thought I read that the new Diono seats had a 1.5" rule?

A seat is outgrown rear-facing when either the weight limit is reached OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it/they have reached the height maximum specified in the manual.

How about this?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
A seat is outgrown rear-facing when either the weight limit is reached OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it/they have reached the height maximum specified in the manual.

How about this?
Ha, I was editing to put in something like that, but my wording was way too longo so I took it out (but I still have an edit up there). But yes, I think that would work!

Lemonade

Sure - anyone may steal this!

This is what I think I'm going with. I'm trying to be non-offensive with the booster age point. I put state minimum because in PA it's just a recommendation, not the law, so I didn't want to use the word 'legal'. And while I'd love not to see kids under 6 in a booster, I think it will turn people off and make them discount all the info - so I added 5/6. Hopefully it will at least get people to wait until age 4.

CAR SEAT REMINDERS

1) STATISTICS – Motor vehicle accidents account for over half of all accidental deaths in children. Roughly 80% of car seats are installed or used incorrectly. Please take the time to read the remainder of this document.

2) KNOW YOUR MANUAL – Take the time to read your seat’s manual and store it safely for reference. Most seats follow the same set of rules but there are always exceptions worth knowing about.

3) POSITION OF THE HARNESS – The shoulder harness must come from at or below your child’s shoulders for rear facing, at or above for forward facing.

4) CHEST CLIP – The top of the chest clip should be aligned with the armpits.

It should never be on the belly.

5) SNUG AS A HUG – Make sure the straps are tightened properly. Rule of thumb: you shouldn’t be able to pinch a horizontal fold in the strap.

6) KNOW YOUR SEAT’S LIMITS – A seat is outgrown rear-facing when either the weight limit is reached OR the child’s head has less than 1” of hard shell above it/they have reached the height maximum specified in the manual. A seat is outgrown forward-facing when any one of these happen: a) weight limit is reached, b) Shoulders are above the top harness slots, c) tops of ears are above the hard plastic shell. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight.

7) UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE LATCH – In most cases “borrowing” outboard LATCH to install the car seat in the center is not acceptable. Approved LATCH positions should be outlined in your vehicle manual. Also, car seats are not meant to be installed using both the LATCH and a seat belt at the same time. One or the other, not both.

8) REAR FACING – Toddlers riding forward facing are 5X more likely to be seriously injured than if they are riding rear facing. For this reason, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that toddlers should remain rear-facing until at least the age of 2 years. Your child’s feet will touch the seat back; however this is perfectly safe since the forces in an accident are typically directed to the front or side of the car. Legs are actually more likely to be broken forward facing than rear-facing…and besides a broken leg is better than a broken neck!

9) HARNESS UNTIL 5/6 YRS OLD – Child passenger safety advocates strongly recommend harnessing past the 4 year AND 40lb state minimum, up until 6 years old. At 6 years, a child’s bones are more solid and mature to take crash forces from a seat belt, a child is better able to sit properly in a booster, and understand the importance of keeping a seat belt in place.

10) SEATBELT BOOSTERS: HIGH VS LOW BACK – High back boosters are recommended over backless boosters. They are 70% safer because they provide side impact protection and better position the child in the seat. 
When boostered, the lap belt should sit high on the thighs, not on the stomach. The shoulder belt should neither ride up on the neck, nor fall off the shoulder. Boosters may never be used in seating positions where only a lap belt is available.

11) OUT OF THE BOOSTER – Your child should use a booster until s/he can pass the ‘five step test’. Google ‘five step test’ for criteria.

12) COLD WEATHER CLOTHING – Bulky coats prevent you from getting a tight fit with the straps. In an accident the filler will compress leaving your child with a harness loose enough to allow ejection. Use a thinner jacket, like fleece.

14) SEAT CHECKS AND MORE INFORMATION – To have your seat checked, ask questions about your specific seat or vehicle, or get suggestions on affordable seats, please go to CAR-SEAT.ORG. You can also find a free seat check in your area by going to SEATCHECK.ORG.

tjham

Looks good!

I know this is too late, but I would add under #7 that a Latch install is not necessarily safer than a seat belt install. A lot of people think it is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC