Opinions please??

lil.miss32

Michael is 3 years 3 months, and is in a Britax Multi-Tech. I know that they allow the top of the head to be even with the shell, but what is YOUR personal opinion on that?? Would you follow the 1 inch rule? Or ride it out? I, obviously, want him RF'ing as long as possible, but with the 1 inch rule being "law" for so many seats, I'm not sure I feel comfortable NOT using it. LOL.

Ignore the death stare. LOL

IMG01066.jpg

ADS

Pixels

Generally speaking, I have a personal two inch rule. It looks to me like the dummies generally ramp up at least two inches in crash testing, so I want my kids to have that much clearance before ramming their head into something. My kids' seats are directly behind the front seats, and DD's seat is wedged under the front head restraint in both vehicles, so her jamming her head up into that is a real concern as she grows. If she was in the center and didn't have anything to hit her head on, I wouldn't worry so much.

That said, with a foot prop the seat won't rotate down much and that will reduce ramping up, and also he doesn't have anything to hit his head on. So in your case I would be comfortable with going to even with the shell.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yup, with the seat braced like that (foot prop) I wouldn't hesitate to use it to the limits of the manual (ie, head even with the top of the shell in this case.) He should make it to 4.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, I thought the Multitech could be used RF until tops of ears were even with top of shell? Or is that the TWE I'm thinking of? Or a different seat entirely?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
lil.miss32 said:
Just looked at the manual, and it says eye level. I'm not sure I feel comfy with THAT tho...

Ah okay, eye level. The seat passes ECE testing that way and has the foot prop so I'd probably be fine with it.

Although I don't personally have a kid in that situation so perhaps I'd think differently if I did. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

gsdguenter

I will use our MT until the top of the head is even with the top at the highest setting, but I don't think I'll go over. We'll see.

finn

We used our freeway until ds's ears were inline with the top of the shell, mainly because he loved the seat so much I was trying to get as long as possible in it :) he out grew it at 3 years 9 months :( it doesn't have a foot prop but has been tested & passed that way so I was fine with it.

You'd have trouble going over the top of the shell in the MT wouldn't you? I would think the belt guides would get in the way.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC