Shower cap covers and older babies

Pixels

DS still easily fits the infant seat but we've been using a convertible for him for months. I had thought that we would go back to using the infant seat for the winter, with the shower cap cover on it. That is, until I actually stuffed him in there one day. Because his feet are now at the edge of the seat, they get totally smooshed by the cover. He kicks like he's uncomfortable.

I was surprised, partly because it's not a problem I've ever heard of before. Has anyone else had this problem? Or does everyone just have larger covers or not worry about it for their bigger babies?

I'm thinking about making a larger cover with more foot room for him.

ADS

CarSeatPoncho

Hi there! Which infant seat are you using? If it's smaller than the largest one (that is, if it's a SR30 maybe a cover for the 35 would give more room).

Are you still using the seat as a carrier, and does he wear "shoes" when you go out?

But hey, if you can design one with more foot room, GO FOR IT!! Who knows, a business could be born! ;)

Pixels

I have a BabyTrend. The point of using the infant seat instead of the convertible is to use it as a carrier, so we can put him in a warm seat and bundle him inside. No shoes, just socks.

I have a poncho that I made for him for the convertible, but he doesn't care for it. He doesn't like putting it over his head, and he doesn't like not being able to see his hands and play with toys. With a shower cap cover, it wouldn't go over his head and I could unzip once in the car so he would have access to his hands.

cookie123

How old is the baby now? Matthew was in the Keyfit until 10 months. Maybe he used the cover 5ish months? I don't recall an issue. He had the Nuzzler, which I liked because no head hole, just the double zipper. So nothing flipping off his face in the wind, and he was completely uncovered in the store. It was a bit small for the Keyfit, though, truthfully. Maybe the Nuzzler II would be an option?

http://www.babypolargear.com/infant_car_seat_cover.htm

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I believe 7 a.m. Enfant's Pookie Poncho is quite a bit longer than the average shower cap cover (supposed to be good up until 4 years old). It apparently will work on strollers and convertibles as well. http://www.7amenfant.com/pp200.html

I have a Beber one that will also fit strollers (fits on the Bugaboo Frog/Cameleon and Uppa Baby Vista, etc.) so it had lots of foot room on my SafeSeat. It didn't hang off the bottom either; you just made sure to have the elastic done up tight enough around the outside. Unfortunately the Beber isn't made anymore as far as I know (the owner was very odd and would always send wrong items, not send items at all, take forever and a day to ship, etc.) http://www.beberbaby.com is still up though and it shows the cover on a stroller too. (I also own the stroller duvet which has an extra insulating layer you can add and it's really great).

The Pookie Poncho is a very warm one though. Not sure what winter is like where you live. My Beber one has a water-repellant/windproof/breathable outer and a sherpa lining, but no extra insulation so it's for winter but not warm like the Pookie Poncho. I actually need a warmer one so am likely not using the Beber this time round.

Pixels

DS is 8 months now. I came across the site for the Nuzzler while I was looking and that is basically how I was thinking of making one, just with extra length and width at the foot area. The Nuzzler II looks like a regular blanket that just attaches to the seat at the bottom. http://www.babypolargear.com/convertible_car_seat_cover_navyblue.html

Winter here is, well, winter. Snow, wind, the whole nine yards. Rarely below zero Fahrenheit (-18 C) but below freezing for the vast majority of the winter.

cookie123

Probably an 8 month old does need a bit extra room in the car seat than a regular cover could provide. I looked at the Nuzzler II again, and it does look like it could probably be kicked right off. You'll probably like the one you could design yourself the best. Be sure to let us know how it goes if you do try to make one.

bnsnyde

I have a Nuzzler and it's too small on my 6-month-old. Impossible to zip and he kicks.

He's off the charts. The Chaperone is fine, but the cover, no.

No idea what we'll do in winter.
Wonder if Nuzzler II is a solution. I don't know the style of that, if it would work.

Pixels

The BabyTrend requires the handle down in the car, making anything attached to the handle impractical.

Chila88

I sewed my own last winter for the exact reasons you mentioned. My DD's legs were cramped in her SS1, and she couldn't see out of the head hole anymore either. I used the Easy Cover as my template and just made the head hole and flap much larger, and added more width and legth at the bottom for her feet. Worked great!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC