Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Three across in a Saturn Ion 2006 - with 2 RAs?

Here's yet another question about putting 3 seats across. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but I'm hoping to only purchase one or maybe two seats.

Here's what I have:

RA 50
    RA 55
    Chicco Keyfit 30
    and a Saturn Ion 2 2006 4-door

And here are my kids:
    DD 15 mos/23 lbs. RF, 95th %ile in height.
    DS 3 y.o./28 lbs. DS RF, 50th %ile in height.
    and one expected in about 8 mos.

If I could just buy one seat to replace one of these, should it be a Radian? Or do I really need to replace both Britaxes?

I have time to figure this out, but if we have to start saving for a new vehicle (or new seats), better to know sooner rather than later. DS can go FF once the new baby arrives if that's the best way to puzzle the seats. I'd love any and all opinions.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Three across in a Saturn Ion 2006 - with 2 RAs?

We have an 05 Saturn Ion and a Radian goes in VERY easily. When we put in the Radian + our Blvd, there is plenty of room for an adult back there. We've also done it w/ an Avenue or our Mico in that 3rd spot. I don't see any reason that you couldn't do 1 radian + 2 Britax seats. I don't know if the keyfit would fit where the Mico did, but it might.
    K (9/07) 90 lbs, 58" & E (7/09) 70lbs, 53.5", GHD / bone age delay
    2017 Subaru WRX: K - RightGuide, E - Olli
    2014 Subaru Forester: K - RightGuide/5-stepping, E - GoFitPlus
    Other Cars/Travel: K - Incognito, E - Bubblebum

4. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
    We have an 05 Saturn Ion and a Radian goes in VERY easily. When we put in the Radian + our Blvd, there is plenty of room for an adult back there. We've also done it w/ an Avenue or our Mico in that 3rd spot. I don't see any reason that you couldn't do 1 radian + 2 Britax seats. I don't know if the keyfit would fit where the Mico did, but it might.
    Oh, thank you so much for this! Do you remember what positions your Radian and Blvd were in?

Carseat Crazy

With the adult passenger, we had the Radian behind the passenger and the blvd (classic) in the middle. It's easier to buckle that way. With the Avenue, I *think* we had it the same way, but I could be wrong (its been a while). After DH comes home, I could try again. However, if you do the 2nd Britax in the last spot, I'd put the Radian in the middle.

Oh, if we could get 2 RAs and a Radian in the back all together that would be awesome. It wouldn't even be like spending extra money since we'd need a convertible for #3 anyway and we could keep DS rearfacing longer.

Carseat Crazy

The hard part will be when one of the kids turns ffing. The Radian does not puzzle well with a ffing Britax (at least the classics, I don't have one of the new ones), but you can cross that bridge when you get there. You might need to buy a new ffing seat (a la Maestro or something new) at that time. In any case, you will fill all space on that backseat no matter how you do it. It's not a big car