Teen parents / high school program

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I met a lady at church today who volunteers in a local high school in their teen parenting program. We were talking about the program and it suddenly occurred to me that some car seat learning would be a good idea... so I gave her my card and she was REALLY excited to have me come give a presentation... she also asked if I could check her 5 year old's car seat. :)

So, now I'm thinking... what should I do? A presentation/demonstration? Or should I get some more techs together and make a "seat check" event out of it? I'm thinking maybe both... maybe start with a presentation and hand out literature (I have some USAA stuff to pass out) and then schedule a car seat check-up event later.

Input? I thought about putting this in the Tech forum, but I'd like input from non-techs, too.

She'd like me to come to their meeting next month (I forget the date but it was mid-November).

ADS

bnsnyde

Awesome!
I would love to do something like that, but it seems that liability-wise the organizations that could benefit most, don't want to go the route of seat checks. Even our own fire/police won't touch a seat. :(

Sounds like you have a good audience to teach. The parents in their 30s and 40s that I see (and assume are somewhat informed and responsible people, lol) often have no clue about carseats. They are expired seats, or parents are using a seat that's too mature for the kid, most likely (like booster for age 3). 10-month-old FF just the other day; dad was a very caring dad who simply did not know. It's great you are teaching the teens!

jess71903

Ambassador
A friend of mine is a mentor for such a program here, and I have been to it twice. It was a small school, and I didn't have much time at all to talk to them because it was during a lunch break or something. Keep it short and sweet. You could see how long you will have and ask them to have their cars available if you find out you'll have time. At the 2nd one I did, the same couple was there, and didn't have their car close, so we went out to mine for a demo.

gagenivy

I went to an alternative hs-the majority were either pregnant or teen parents. At our school, they were required to take parenting classes. Booking as a guest speaker for the class may go over easier. Also, the majority rode the public bus, other than infant seats car seats weren't used. I think it is great you are willing to devote your time!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am doing exactly this on Tuesday morning - it's the required parenting class for the students who have babies/kids in the on-site daycare.

I have just over an hour with them. I'm planning to focus on the law but stress best practice, rear facing to 2+, go over after-market products, dressing for winter, and then we're going to install some seats in the teacher's car (and maybe mine). She has a range of seats as she sometimes drives the parents with their kids (I've discussed the liability issues with her re that situation!).

Only one of the parents has their own car, but they do all have car seats -- I imagine it's a lot of in and out of other vehicles, and possibly other car seats -- so all the more reason to know what they're doing.

I will try to remember to come back and report on how it went.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What do you think would reach them best?my personal experience as a teen parent who was in a bad wreck with her baby (I was 19 at the time) or more fact-based (like why babies need to be RF and toddlers need to be harnessed)? I mean, obviously I'll talk about proper use and best practice, but I wonder whether ishould include the personal stuff.

I wonder whether I can dig up a picture of that wrecked car...

gagenivy

Videos of what happens in a wreck, definitely a must. General rules of thumb (buckets are RF only, locking clip, etc). I honestly thunk they just don't know and it seems like an easy task-buckle it in and go. As many generalizations as possible then ask for seat specific questions. I think too many stats an numbers may lose their attention-IMO.

tam_shops

What a great idea! I teach high school, actually I teach on-call right now, and that includes the teen parent program (among others).

My opinion:
Videos
Demonstration-hands on w/ baby bucket and convertible.
Hand-outs w/ a few great picks and poor picks and WHY, so they get the concept of weight/height ratio ie Scenera and Maestro better than old AOE.
And, best of all, as you suggested, "my personal experience as a teen parent who was in a bad wreck with her baby"

I discuss car seats and potty training every time I teach the program, love it, get their undivided attenion...

Oh, and I'd have a handout for the Free car seat program in your area, if there is one, that then takes care of checking their seats. In my experience (one school in small city w/ not a lot of money), most of these kids borrow/use their parents/boy friends cars and don't have a car themselves...

tam

hedgefun

What do you think would reach them best?my personal experience as a teen parent who was in a bad wreck with her baby (I was 19 at the time) or more fact-based (like why babies need to be RF and toddlers need to be harnessed)? I mean, obviously I'll talk about proper use and best practice, but I wonder whether ishould include the personal stuff.

I wonder whether I can dig up a picture of that wrecked car...

I think it would be good to include the personal story, maybe even as an intro, because it would help establish a rapport with the group. Then transition to the fact-based stuff.

Kat_Momof3

definitely start personal... they're going to relate better to you having been a teen mom like them, than someone who they think hasn't been right where they are.

mamom

Definately some really good handouts as well. Many of these teens live with their parents who probably haven't heard this and may/may not believe it without good CREDABLE material to help reinforce the info.
Side note: I have talked to many teens about breastfeeding and often I get the answer, "I'm not going to breastfeed because my mom said no." Try to think of this mentality as you teach the class HTH!!!

Jan06twinmom

As always, lots of great advice from others. I think starting with your personal story is a great idea.

I think including information about how to get a free/low cost car seat is important. I'm sure that money is an issue for these teenagers. Letting them know about some low-cost, affordable options would be helpful and let them know that a less expensive car seat is also a safe option.

I think that being able to show them how to install the car seat would be very helpful. Maybe you can make arrangements to come back and help teach them how to install their own car seats. After they see what you are doing, I'm guessing some will figure out mistakes that they are making. Some will also realize that they are confused or something isn't quite right when they try it themselves and they'll have specific questions at that point.

Melanie

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Great, thanks!

I ordered some more of the USAA "guide to installing child safety seats" and "child safety in and around vehicles" to pass out. I don't really like those because they strongly suggest that age two is the maximum a child can safely rear-face, and imply that a child over age one who outgrows its bucket seat should go straight to a FF combo seat... but I think I can handle that when it's in the context of a discussion and not something I'm just handing out. And the installation and usage pictures are very good.

I need to find out whether I'll have access to a projector; I'd like to create a powerpoint (well, Keynote) with videos. And I need to find that picture of the wrecked car I was in with my baby. And include a picture of the handsome teenage young man he is today thanks to his car seat. :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I will also pass out a schedule of car seat check-up events where they can get low-cost seats. I'll also ask our local SK organization if maybe there's a way I can borrow their demo/training seat for installing car seats on. I have some expired or crashed car seats I can use as demos.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Many of these teens live with their parents who probably haven't heard this and may/may not believe

I was thinking this too. Not really your topic of discussion, but I was wondering how to empower teens to go against bad advice they might get from their elders. :scratcheshead:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I was thinking this too. Not really your topic of discussion, but I was wondering how to empower teens to go against bad advice they might get from their elders. :scratcheshead:

Maybe explain to them that a lot has changed since they were kids and their parents were raising them...?

Maybe invite them to bring their parents or mentors along with them to a car seat check-up event?

Hmm. This is a very good point and one that I definitely need to think about ahead of time.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Maybe invite them to bring their parents or mentors along with them to a car seat check-up event?

I definitely think involving the grandparents would be a good idea. They'll probably be involved with transporting the babies at some point anyway. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC