Graco SafeSeat vs. Chicco KeyFit30

S&JsMom

I was leaning towards getting the Graco SafeSeat for our due in October, but just was flipping through a magazine and saw an ad for Chicco's KeyFit 30 (also up to 30lbs, but until 33" tall). I don't know much about Chicco as a car seat manufacturer? How does it rate? Anyone use it? Will the Chicco fit on other strollers or just the Chicco (i.e. will it fit on a Snap n Go frame?)?

Thanks!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
There has been some discrepancy over the height limit of the Keyfit 30. I'm waiting to hear if it really is 33"... or rather, I'm waiting for someone to measure the shell heights of both seats and tell me the difference.

I really love the Keyfit and if it can be used to the same height as the SS1 or even longer, I would definitely get the Keyfit 30.

VLsMom

The Chicco KeyFit is a very well loved infant seat here I think....at least thats the idea I got from most of you who post about it.

The cool thing about the base is that its got a pull-strap in the center of it once the latch clips are hooked on so you pull straight UP and it tightens the whole strap easily from the middle. Its also got a little storage compartment in the base and the base extends at the bite of the seat so you can adjust the recline without needing to stick a noodle in there to make it adjust.

Oh, I'll just link you to some pics so you know what I'm talking about. I am due in December and I'm leaning towards the KeyFit.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5307&#specs

S&JsMom

I am curious...do you know if the seat can be installed without the base (i.e. if we travel, on an airplane, in a taxi, etc) like the Graco can? The base looks great...just don't know that I want to tote it along all the time. Also, any idea if the base is wider/narrower than the SafeSeat base? We were hoping to get 3 car seats accross DH's Accord and know that with the Radian and a Booster base we still need a fairly narrow seat/base for the infant.

So many questions...sorry about that... ;)

VLsMom

Don't know about the base widths, but the KeyFit30 CAN be installed without the base using the seat belt.

Here's the manual online (page 37):

http://www.chiccousa.com/files/KeyFit_00.pdf

It does require that the seatbelt automatically locks though if not using the base. It specifically states NOT to install it without the base using a non-locking ELR belt. On the page after it shows how to install it without the base, it gives pictures showing how it should be installed using an airplane belt. Great job on the manual, Chicco!

S&JsMom

Wow, that manual is great! :thumbsup: to Chicco for having it available on line!

I was looking at my DS's baby book. He was my "big" baby and he didn't weigh 22lbs until he was 15mos, and he hit 30" at 12 mos. I have no idea how big the new one will be, but given the size/height guidelines I might be able to have baby in even the regular KeyFit until 12 mos (which would get DS to 5 years and then he can move out of the convertable seats for new baby). Although if the KeyFit 30 will really go up to 33" in length, that would be even better in case this baby turns out bigger/taller.

Any other thougts/experience with this seat?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The story is that the 30 is the same seat size as the 22..and when I picked up the 30, it was the same size as my old 22... I don't think it's any bigger, but I didn't have a tape measure handy. The Safeseat is way bigger...my dd outgrew the key fit at a year, she still has room to grow in the safeseat now that she's 17 months, about 32.5 inches, and 23ish pounds... I liked the Key Fit better, though :D

Here's my dd in a few seats... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats

jheimes

It goes to 32 inches, but if you have a shorter torsoed child, it may go longer.
My daughter has a longish torso (13") and just outgrew it by height a few weeks ago. She was 20 1/2 months.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Graco SS1 is my favorite just for the fact that it fits the longest (so you can keep it at room temp more) but the Keyfit was sooooo nice to play with! If I could afford it + a nice convertible relatively soon afterward then I'd go for it ... otherwise I'd just go for the SS1 to save longer towards a nice convertible (if I got the Keyfit then plan would be to just get an Uptown & save towards a nice extended harness FF seat eventually, but I would really like the Recaro convertible if I could)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's the manual for the 22. Do you know where to find the manual for the 30? I can't find it on their website.
If the 30 isn't on the website yet, just for trivia's sake, you can actually SEE the belt guides on the 30 now, they stick out of the cover finally.

I know you're looking for the actual listed height limit, though, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC