WARNING: Child death

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have hesitated to post this since it is so personal. On Friday, I found out that a woman (34) and her daughter (8) that I know from our town were killed in a horrific accident. I used to do daycare for her niece and 2 cousins several years ago. She was driving back from a field trip with her dd and for unknown reasons went though the center of the 4 lane highway (which is grass) and into oncoming traffic. She hit one vehicle (I'm assuming side swiping them as it didn't cause serious injury to the driver) before striking a crew cab truck pulling a flat bed trailer head on. :( I don't know if her dd was in the front seat or not, but I do know seat belts were used for all involved. She was driving a Honda Element. The driver of the truck (which was also demolished) is in serious condition. Mom and dd died on the scene. :(

Today, as I was taking a walk, a tow truck went passed me...and had her car on the back. Seeing the pictures of the accident was bad enough, but seeing her car go down my road today was just too much. It was far worse then I could have ever imagined. I have done nothing but think about them since the accident. I have cried so many times. She leaves behind a 14yr old son. And her DH was serving over seas at the time of the accident. He found out when he called home to talk to her. I can't imagine what the family is going through. I want so badly to take away their pain, but I know that only time will begin to ease their suffering.

Even though I wasn't close to her, I was close to several of her family members. I am hoping to attend the funeral and show my respects. But I feel like that is so little. I want to do more. I need to do more. How do I get beyond my own grief and help this family??

WARNING: Images are VERY graffic.... http://www.newson6.com/story/15698627/car-wreck-in-rogers-county-kills-two-hurts-two

ADS

creideamh

OMG, that's the highway I take down to Skiatook to see my cousins. :( :( :( Right through Talala and Oologah. I am so sorry. I don't know what to say beyond that. :( :( :(

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
OMG, that's the highway I take down to Skiatook to see my cousins. :( :( :( Right through Talala and Oologah. I am so sorry. I don't know what to say beyond that. :( :( :(

Yep. She would have turned at Winganon to head home. She was so close. :(

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I am so sorry for your loss, I don't think I could have handled seeing the car go by on the wrecker.

P&PT for the family.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I am so sorry you had to see that. It's horrible enough to know that that happened, but seeing the vehicle... ugh. :(

FWIW, it sounds like the child's seating position was probably irrelevent. We say it here, albeit not that often -- some crashes are truly unsurvivable.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I am so sorry you had to see that. It's horrible enough to know that that happened, but seeing the vehicle... ugh. :(

FWIW, it sounds like the child's seating position was probably irrelevent. We say it here, albeit not that often -- some crashes are truly unsurvivable.

I agree. I don't think it would have mattered in this case. I just can't stop thinking about the times I've had them in my home. And knowing they are gone now. I don't think I've ever been so profoundly affected by something, as I have been by this tragedy. They are on my mind all the time. I can't quit crying. I can't imagine what their family is going through. It's just not fair.

luckyclov

Oh, geez. It's always a horrible, heart-aching situation, but it's so much *more* when it's personal. I'm so sorry. :(

twinsmom

OMG how awful! :crying: I don't even know what to say. I'm so so sorry for the family, and for you. It must have been so hard to see the car.:(

Jan06twinmom

So sorry for this family and their tragic loss.

As far as helping, can you contact some of the family that you are close to and offer to help? People will probably be offering to help with meals, funeral arrangements and stuff around the house. Even if you can't do something right away, you can offer to help in a few weeks. I think that sometimes the most help comes right after a tragedy and it's often weeks or months later that the family needs help and support.

Melanie

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Yes, I can. I'm just trying to give them time to grieve. I imagine that things are pretty crazy around there right now. Her DH is finally getting in tonight. I've extended my condolences, but that's it so far. I hope to attend the funeral and will let them know they can call on me if they need anything. We live in a very small town and her mom owns the main diner, so everybody in town knows them. They have a huge network of support and right now I feel like I'd be more in the way then I would be a help to them.

Kaede's_Mom

Kay, one of the moms at the dance studio was a witness to the crash :( I got way too many details that were heart breaking. I am really hoping this mom was wrong and the little girl was not in the front seat as she stated she was. She also said that mom was texting and driving and lost control two cars ahead of them. what ever the cause it is heart breaking. Many of DH's aunts went to school with the family.

The whole main street in our town is lined with American flags and big signs saying we love, and their names.

Sent from my poor auto correcting iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Baylor

How horrrible. I am so sorry.

Just pondering here: You don't think if the DD was in the passenger rear belted in she may have had a better chance? It seems to be somewhat intact back there. I can not imagine what made her cross that large median and end up over in the oncoming lanes. It seems that she must have really been going fast to get over that grass and come up on the other side with enough speed to hit the oncoming car so fast...

I am so sorry for her family.

jeminijad

How horrrible. I am so sorry.

Just pondering here: You don't think if the DD was in the passenger rear belted in she may have had a better chance? It seems to be somewhat intact back there. I can not imagine what made her cross that large median and end up over in the oncoming lanes. It seems that she must have really been going fast to get over that grass and come up on the other side with enough speed to hit the oncoming car so fast...

I am so sorry for her family.

The back seat looked more intact, but at that rate of speed, you are still flung around so violently that I don't know.

I am very sorry for this tragedy.

I'm going to be even more of a b*tch when DH tries to do dumb crap with his smart phone while driving than I already am.

Baylor

Kay, one of the moms at the dance studio was a witness to the crash :( I got way too many details that were heart breaking. I am really hoping this mom was wrong and the little girl was not in the front seat as she stated she was. She also said that mom was texting and driving and lost control two cars ahead of them. what ever the cause it is heart breaking. Many of DH's aunts went to school with the family.

The whole main street in our town is lined with American flags and big signs saying we love, and their names.

Sent from my poor auto correcting iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

UGH.. Texting and driving.. What a menace...

I realized last week while I say I never text and drive that is not quite true. I have tried to quickly read a message. don't respond but still. What a moron I am.. Phone is on headset when I drive now but the phone will be forever tucked in my purse in the car.
Never again. Not ever again. It is not worth that quick peek.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC