Any idea what these seats are?

msg221

My friend posted this pic of Zain and the little girl, B, that goes to school with him and Nour. This is in B's mom's car as she drives them home from school. My friend told me that Zain was in a harnessed seat in this mom's car, but I was a little worried about what kind of seat it was and if it was installed correctly and all. I could not tell what kind of seats these were. I also found it kind of odd that B's mom has her in a harnessed seat in her vehicle, but gave my friend a BB for B to use in her vehicle!

Also, what about that seat in front of them with the purple polka dot cover? I have a feeling it might be the seat Nour rides in on the days she goes to school.

ZainBella-1.jpg

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Holy Cats! The purple one looks like a super old cover (like late 90's) that I remember... The seat teh girl is in is a Dorel 3 in 1... outgrown it looks like. Seat Z is in looks outgrown as well :( Don't know what it is...

ETA Not sure, but I think all vehicles require the 2nd row seats to be in locked position when driving, not flipped up like that...

gagenivy

The one in the back looks like a couple of seats pieced together. IMO. It looks like a Cosco with a Graco (old style) harness clip?
Polka dot one almost looks like my nephew's old Evenflo circa 1998.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
The one in the back looks like a couple of seats pieced together. IMO. It looks like a Cosco with a Graco (old style) harness clip?

No... that is a Dorel seat with an old style Dorel Chest Clip... Its an Alpha Omega seat... I can see the "A" from Alpha by her left leg :)

mominabigtruck

Purple seat is an expired century and the aoe looks pretty old too. It's hard to see the cover but they haven't done tan straps in a while.
Posted via Mobile Device

lourdes

The one were the girl is looks like a old alpha omega, the blue one looks old and the one with the boy I have no idea

msg221

Holy Cats! The purple one looks like a super old cover (like late 90's) that I remember... The seat teh girl is in is a Dorel 3 in 1... outgrown it looks like. Seat Z is in looks outgrown as well :( Don't know what it is...

ETA Not sure, but I think all vehicles require the 2nd row seats to be in locked position when driving, not flipped up like that...

If that purple seat really is from the 90's and is the one that Nour is riding around in, I'm going to be sick. I guess I will ask my friend if that seat is the one Nour uses when she rides with this mom. If it is, I am going to tell her it's expired and to please take the new Maestro I bought a few weeks ago. Or rather, to please ask the other mom if I could do a seat check for her, that way I can educate her and make sure the seats get installed correctly. I would also gladly buy another Maestro for Zain if the seat he is in is expired as well.

Has B outgrown that seat because she looks to be over the top slots? I haven't come across many Dorel seats and am not that familiar with them. Also, it does look like the straps on Z are coming from underneath, so it is likely outgrown as well.

I hope my friend will be receptive to my suggestion. The other mom lives near us so I could easily go to her house and do a check!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
If that purple seat really is from the 90's and is the one that Nour is riding around in, I'm going to be sick. I guess I will ask my friend if that seat is the one Nour uses when she rides with this mom. If it is, I am going to tell her it's expired and to please take the new Maestro I bought a few weeks ago. Or rather, to please ask the other mom if I could do a seat check for her, that way I can educate her and make sure the seats get installed correctly. I would also gladly buy another Maestro for Zain if the seat he is in is expired as well.

Has B outgrown that seat because she looks to be over the top slots? I haven't come across many Dorel seats and am not that familiar with them. Also, it does look like the straps on Z are coming from underneath, so it is likely outgrown as well.

I hope my friend will be receptive to my suggestion. The other mom lives near us so I could easily go to her house and do a check!

That was the AOE that was no top slots (booster only) 40lb limit... way outgrown it looks like...

Z is def above top slots... purple seat is LONG ago expired!

ElfJewel

I'm not sure what seats they are but I would also be concerned about how they are being used. They are both leaning out of their seats (the girl looks like her shoulders aren't even in the seat). The harnesses are buckled and I would guess that's how they actually rode. Offering to do a check sounds like a good idea, hopefully she will be receptive and you can teach her about installation and use. Otherwise mom would just have to tell her "My children cannot ride in those seats/with you/however she wants to say it because they are not safe."

msg221

I will definitely talk to her ASAP. I am going to be worried sick if that is what they are riding around in tomorrow! I cannot even imagine how they are installed as well.

I just got in touch with my friend. I am going to her house after work tomorrow. I needed to bring her the Monterey I have anyway, for her nephew to use in her vehicle. He is here visiting for nearly a year, from Egypt along with his mother. I can't not say anything because if anything happened to those kids, it would kill me.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It looks to me like Z's seat is not installed in the car, or at least not locked in or tight. It appears that he's leaning forward with his entire seat and grabbing the 2nd row seat in front of him.

And the girl... outgrown or not, she doesn't have those straps on well enough to even keep her in the seat. :(

I agree. Go talk to Z's mom. Make sure he's safe. And if you can talk the girl's mom into letting you do a seat check for her... do you have access to low cost or free seats you can direct her to?

Scary. I agree one more ride is too many.

msg221

It looks to me like Z's seat is not installed in the car, or at least not locked in or tight. It appears that he's leaning forward with his entire seat and grabbing the 2nd row seat in front of him.

And the girl... outgrown or not, she doesn't have those straps on well enough to even keep her in the seat. :(

I agree. Go talk to Z's mom. Make sure he's safe. And if you can talk the girl's mom into letting you do a seat check for her... do you have access to low cost or free seats you can direct her to?

Scary. I agree one more ride is too many.

After looking at the pic some more, I thought the same thing when I saw him grabbing the seat in front of him; that it must not be in tight because he wouldn't be able to do that otherwise.

My friend was in the middle of dinner and then needs to get the kids bathed and ready for bed, so I asked her to call me later. I have a feeling though, that it will still be tomorrow before I can do anything.

I've got that Maestro for Nour and I can put the MR that I have in my car in that mom's car until Zain gets a new seat for carpooling. And hopefully that mom will be willing to buy her daughter a new seat. Actually, 2 since my friend has been driving her around in that BB. If she is sitting like that in a harnessed seat, I really don't believe that she's sitting properly in that booster.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
To me, it looks like Z's not buckled at all. It appears that he's wearing a green shirt with a brown collar -- so what appears to be "harness straps" is really his collar, so leaning forward like that wouldn't be a problem. I might be mistaken, though.

I hope I'm wrong. If he's harnessed, yes, he's definitely outgrown that seat.

That picture is terrifying enough, even moreso when it's one of "our" kids riding like that. :(

msg221

So I feel like an idiot. I guess the shock of seeing those seats and seeing just Zain & B, caused me to ASSume that this was in B's mom's car. My friend called me and I told her about them both having outgrown the seat, but she told me it wasn't in B's mom's car, that it was in another mom's car and that they were just playing around, wearing the sunglasses and dancing around. I hope that she was telling me the truth and didn't just say that because she didn't want to listen to me go on about car seats again (after I told her it wasn't safe for B to be in a BB in her van). If this is the case, it's still frightening that someone else's children are riding around in these seats and I told her that, and that if that person wants me to check them, to give me a call.

You have no idea how badly I wish I could see what Nour & Zain are riding around in, in that other mom's car! My friend has assured me that they are in harnessed seats. I just hope they aren't old, expired, and outgrown seats, like these!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC