Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    CPS Technician msg221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Laveen, AZ
    Posts
    2,265

    Any idea what these seats are?

    My friend posted this pic of Zain and the little girl, B, that goes to school with him and Nour. This is in B's mom's car as she drives them home from school. My friend told me that Zain was in a harnessed seat in this mom's car, but I was a little worried about what kind of seat it was and if it was installed correctly and all. I could not tell what kind of seats these were. I also found it kind of odd that B's mom has her in a harnessed seat in her vehicle, but gave my friend a BB for B to use in her vehicle!

    Also, what about that seat in front of them with the purple polka dot cover? I have a feeling it might be the seat Nour rides in on the days she goes to school.


  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Location
    Car-Seat.Org
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPST Instructor jourdysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Holy Cats! The purple one looks like a super old cover (like late 90's) that I remember... The seat teh girl is in is a Dorel 3 in 1... outgrown it looks like. Seat Z is in looks outgrown as well Don't know what it is...

    ETA Not sure, but I think all vehicles require the 2nd row seats to be in locked position when driving, not flipped up like that...

  4. #3
    Carseat Crazy gagenivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Whiteland, IN
    Posts
    291

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    The one in the back looks like a couple of seats pieced together. IMO. It looks like a Cosco with a Graco (old style) harness clip?
    Polka dot one almost looks like my nephew's old Evenflo circa 1998.

  5. #4
    CPST Instructor jourdysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by gagenivy View Post
    The one in the back looks like a couple of seats pieced together. IMO. It looks like a Cosco with a Graco (old style) harness clip?
    Polka dot one almost looks like my nephew's old Evenflo circa 1998.
    No... that is a Dorel seat with an old style Dorel Chest Clip... Its an Alpha Omega seat... I can see the "A" from Alpha by her left leg

  6. Thank You from:


  7. #5
    CPS Fanatic mominabigtruck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Central OH
    Posts
    2,543

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Purple seat is an expired century and the aoe looks pretty old too. It's hard to see the cover but they haven't done tan straps in a while.
    Posted via Mobile Device

  8. #6
    CPS Technician lourdes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,731
    The one were the girl is looks like a old alpha omega, the blue one looks old and the one with the boy I have no idea
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

  9. #7
    Carseat Crazy BrookysMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    146

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by mominabigtruck View Post
    Purple seat is an expired century and the aoe looks pretty old too. It's hard to see the cover but they haven't done tan straps in a while.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The straps look black to me...
    Mommy to
    BrookieCookie 08/2010
    Angel Baby 12/2013
    Suprise! 2/2014

  10. #8
    CPST Instructor jourdysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by BrookysMommy View Post
    The straps look black to me...
    me too... (maybe hard to see on the app?)

  11. #9
    Carseat Crazy aetj115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    134
    Its definitely an alpha omega, same seat I had for ds1 in 2001.
    Ethan (6*13*2000) 5 stepping big kid, Toryn (6*18*04) graco turbobooster, Julian (2*8*08) ERF in a MR, Jaxson, due 5*11*2012 seat undecided

  12. #10
    Carseat Crazy BrookysMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    146

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post
    me too... (maybe hard to see on the app?)
    Thats what I was thinking too.
    Mommy to
    BrookieCookie 08/2010
    Angel Baby 12/2013
    Suprise! 2/2014

  13. #11
    CPS Technician msg221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Laveen, AZ
    Posts
    2,265

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post
    Holy Cats! The purple one looks like a super old cover (like late 90's) that I remember... The seat teh girl is in is a Dorel 3 in 1... outgrown it looks like. Seat Z is in looks outgrown as well Don't know what it is...

    ETA Not sure, but I think all vehicles require the 2nd row seats to be in locked position when driving, not flipped up like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by gagenivy View Post
    The one in the back looks like a couple of seats pieced together. IMO. It looks like a Cosco with a Graco (old style) harness clip?
    Polka dot one almost looks like my nephew's old Evenflo circa 1998.

    If that purple seat really is from the 90's and is the one that Nour is riding around in, I'm going to be sick. I guess I will ask my friend if that seat is the one Nour uses when she rides with this mom. If it is, I am going to tell her it's expired and to please take the new Maestro I bought a few weeks ago. Or rather, to please ask the other mom if I could do a seat check for her, that way I can educate her and make sure the seats get installed correctly. I would also gladly buy another Maestro for Zain if the seat he is in is expired as well.

    Has B outgrown that seat because she looks to be over the top slots? I haven't come across many Dorel seats and am not that familiar with them. Also, it does look like the straps on Z are coming from underneath, so it is likely outgrown as well.

    I hope my friend will be receptive to my suggestion. The other mom lives near us so I could easily go to her house and do a check!

  14. #12
    CPST Instructor jourdysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by msg221 View Post
    If that purple seat really is from the 90's and is the one that Nour is riding around in, I'm going to be sick. I guess I will ask my friend if that seat is the one Nour uses when she rides with this mom. If it is, I am going to tell her it's expired and to please take the new Maestro I bought a few weeks ago. Or rather, to please ask the other mom if I could do a seat check for her, that way I can educate her and make sure the seats get installed correctly. I would also gladly buy another Maestro for Zain if the seat he is in is expired as well.

    Has B outgrown that seat because she looks to be over the top slots? I haven't come across many Dorel seats and am not that familiar with them. Also, it does look like the straps on Z are coming from underneath, so it is likely outgrown as well.

    I hope my friend will be receptive to my suggestion. The other mom lives near us so I could easily go to her house and do a check!
    That was the AOE that was no top slots (booster only) 40lb limit... way outgrown it looks like...

    Z is def above top slots... purple seat is LONG ago expired!

  15. #13
    CPS Technician ElfJewel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    276

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    I'm not sure what seats they are but I would also be concerned about how they are being used. They are both leaning out of their seats (the girl looks like her shoulders aren't even in the seat). The harnesses are buckled and I would guess that's how they actually rode. Offering to do a check sounds like a good idea, hopefully she will be receptive and you can teach her about installation and use. Otherwise mom would just have to tell her "My children cannot ride in those seats/with you/however she wants to say it because they are not safe."
    Julia CPST and Mom to 6 crazy kids:
    Megan (13), Kayla (11), Jamie (9), Ian (7), Emi (6), and Clare (2)- all riding safely in a 2011 Honda Odyssey
    And Our Angel Baby Aiden 8/26-27/15

  16. #14
    CPS Technician msg221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Laveen, AZ
    Posts
    2,265

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    I will definitely talk to her ASAP. I am going to be worried sick if that is what they are riding around in tomorrow! I cannot even imagine how they are installed as well.

    I just got in touch with my friend. I am going to her house after work tomorrow. I needed to bring her the Monterey I have anyway, for her nephew to use in her vehicle. He is here visiting for nearly a year, from Egypt along with his mother. I can't not say anything because if anything happened to those kids, it would kill me.

  17. #15
    CPST Instructor jourdysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Did you ask her about it tonight? I would... One more ride is too many IMO

  18. #16
    CPS Technician Brigala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    It looks to me like Z's seat is not installed in the car, or at least not locked in or tight. It appears that he's leaning forward with his entire seat and grabbing the 2nd row seat in front of him.

    And the girl... outgrown or not, she doesn't have those straps on well enough to even keep her in the seat.

    I agree. Go talk to Z's mom. Make sure he's safe. And if you can talk the girl's mom into letting you do a seat check for her... do you have access to low cost or free seats you can direct her to?

    Scary. I agree one more ride is too many.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

  19. #17
    CPS Technician msg221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Laveen, AZ
    Posts
    2,265

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
    It looks to me like Z's seat is not installed in the car, or at least not locked in or tight. It appears that he's leaning forward with his entire seat and grabbing the 2nd row seat in front of him.

    And the girl... outgrown or not, she doesn't have those straps on well enough to even keep her in the seat.

    I agree. Go talk to Z's mom. Make sure he's safe. And if you can talk the girl's mom into letting you do a seat check for her... do you have access to low cost or free seats you can direct her to?

    Scary. I agree one more ride is too many.
    After looking at the pic some more, I thought the same thing when I saw him grabbing the seat in front of him; that it must not be in tight because he wouldn't be able to do that otherwise.

    My friend was in the middle of dinner and then needs to get the kids bathed and ready for bed, so I asked her to call me later. I have a feeling though, that it will still be tomorrow before I can do anything.

    I've got that Maestro for Nour and I can put the MR that I have in my car in that mom's car until Zain gets a new seat for carpooling. And hopefully that mom will be willing to buy her daughter a new seat. Actually, 2 since my friend has been driving her around in that BB. If she is sitting like that in a harnessed seat, I really don't believe that she's sitting properly in that booster.

  20. #18
    CPST Instructor Carrie_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,173

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    To me, it looks like Z's not buckled at all. It appears that he's wearing a green shirt with a brown collar -- so what appears to be "harness straps" is really his collar, so leaning forward like that wouldn't be a problem. I might be mistaken, though.

    I hope I'm wrong. If he's harnessed, yes, he's definitely outgrown that seat.

    That picture is terrifying enough, even moreso when it's one of "our" kids riding like that.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

    Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

  21. #19
    CPS Technician msg221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Laveen, AZ
    Posts
    2,265

    Re: Any idea what these seats are?

    So I feel like an idiot. I guess the shock of seeing those seats and seeing just Zain & B, caused me to ASSume that this was in B's mom's car. My friend called me and I told her about them both having outgrown the seat, but she told me it wasn't in B's mom's car, that it was in another mom's car and that they were just playing around, wearing the sunglasses and dancing around. I hope that she was telling me the truth and didn't just say that because she didn't want to listen to me go on about car seats again (after I told her it wasn't safe for B to be in a BB in her van). If this is the case, it's still frightening that someone else's children are riding around in these seats and I told her that, and that if that person wants me to check them, to give me a call.

    You have no idea how badly I wish I could see what Nour & Zain are riding around in, in that other mom's car! My friend has assured me that they are in harnessed seats. I just hope they aren't old, expired, and outgrown seats, like these!

  22. #20
    CPS Technician lourdes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,731
    Can you ask her to see the car seats?
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
  2. Idea's for seats
    By Brendan's Mom in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 08:12 AM
  3. Idea For Destroying Dangerous Seats
    By Defrost in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 12:57 AM
  4. I have no idea about infant seats anymore.
    By MusicalMama3 in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 07:34 PM
  5. Any idea how many car seats are sold annualy in the US?
    By Unregistered in forum CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 04:09 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •