Public bus

Ladyl

My kids are staying with my in-laws this coming weekend. Due to logistics MIL may take them on a public bus. The ride would be about 1.5 miles. Is this something that could be considered safe at all? I'm especially concerned about my 2y.o. Though both kids would follow direction well in this situation. Of course the 2 y.o. thinks riding a bus would be great and the 5 y.o. doesn't want to due to the lack of seat belts.:cool: I'm actually wondering if she would be able to get him on a bus. He may have a monster melt down.

It is something I'm going to have to be comfortable with at some point because it is part of DH's family. FIL drove buses for 35 years (for the same company that runs the bus the kids will be riding) so taking the kids on buses is something they will want to do at some point. I actually really want this to be an ok activity for them, but will veto the plan if necessary.

ADS

Dillipop

I would have no problems taking my children on a public bus. Public transportation is quite safe. I've taken my kids on the bus in NYC, Chicago, and DC before. All of them have ridden on the subway in infancy.

My IL's took my older kids to Boston for the day this summer. They rode the subway into the city. They mentioned taking a taxi if needed. I immediately shut that down and told them that I preferred they not use a taxi. They agreed and just used the subway and buses. It worked out really well. My kids are a bit older- they were almost 5 and just turned 8, but I've also done it with them when they were 3 and a newborn.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My kids have been on the bus that young. They loved it! I just made sure that my mom sat on foward facing seats with them and not at the very front or very back.

newyorkDOC

I live in a major EU city and we've taken the bus and subway since infancy. The crash dynamics are totally different with a vehicle that size. I've used strollers, carriers, and as DD got older, just the bus seat. She loves it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC