Question Help me explain this to Roomie

crstcrzy

I have just RF'd both kids again, as we're preparing for a 20+ hour drive to the ILs, and it will be easier for them to sleep with the recline of the RF seats as opposed to the FFs being so upright (very vertical vehicle seats, no adjustment option). Not to mention the safety benefits if we do end up in a collision or incident.

Roomie insists on telling me every time I turn around that the kids are "too big" and their legs are "squished" and where will the legs go while we're driving ETC. He's not a parent, and has 0 experience with RF seats, even with infants.

For an idea of size:
J, 5 yrs old, 40 in, 36.4 lbs (YAY!! He went up 1 lb!) RF in a My Ride 40 deg recline.
L, 3 yrs old, 39 in, 38 lbs, RF 40# Scenera, 30 deg recline

So, beyond writing the statistics on a baseball bat and beating them into his skull, any advice?

ADS

crstcrzy

J's adjusting to it, L absolutely LOVES it (I bought the pink one for this reason :p)

He knows that I'm the one who makes choices with my kids, but he's just concerned. I want to explain it to him in a way that will make him understand that there is no danger to their legs, that they're safer, that they're going to be happier having decent rest, than if they are FF.

BrookysMommy

Maybe put them in the car and show him that their not uncomfortable, along with KetchupQueens story and videos? Can't hurt to go all out IMO

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
Tell him broken legs is a FF injury. If he knows you are an expert, why is he questioning it?

Jamie*

Show him some videos and links? Other than that- you're the mom, and what you decide isn't up for a debate ;)

Evolily

Hey Roomie, I took a 40 hour class on car seat safety. I am well aware of the dangers of driving as well as how to properly use a child restraint. These are my kids, this is my car, and none of this is your concern.

Yep, I wouldn't bother with reasoning with him. His comments sound rude and opinionated therefore he isn't interested in learning IMHO. If he was interested in learning he would have said "oh, I thought they were too big to face that way?" and "Won't their legs get hurt in a crash?".

Kat_Momof3

show him aap, nhtsa, safetybeltusa recommendations... then show him ketchupqueen's story, the stats of fatalities in crashes for children in sweden... and point out that if they were uncomfortable, they would complain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC