Vent UGH.....

NikoTroi

I don't post here a lot but I do read. I have a vent and I'm also hoping to get some stats and info to pass along. Nikolas is 7 and Troi is 5 1/2 and both are in a Graco 3-in-1 using the 5 point harness. They both weigh 40 pounds so we have a lot more weight until that back comes off.

I have a friend who has a 7 year old daughter who weighs about 30 pounds and although she has her in a booster, they are only using a seat belt and they let her put the upper part behind her back. I sent along a few videos off youtube to her and other friends showing them what happens if you don't use the seat belt correctly. So since then she's wearing the belt the correct way.

Well 2 weeks ago I saw my friend get into someone else's car in the front seat and let her daughter sit on her lap. They were driving home from school and it is only about 15 blocks but that's still 15 blocks too many. Then on Thursday she gets in the car again and lets her daughter sit in the front seat.

I am very close to this friend and have expressed my concern a few times but it seems that she just doesn't get it. I highly doubt she'll put her daughter back into a 5 point as her husband has said it's not necessary but how do I get across the importance of at least a booster seat in the back seat without seeming pushy?

I'd like a way to bring this across to all my friends and family. When they make fun of me about having my boys in the 5 point harness I just tell them it's the safest thing for them but they think I'm being silly. I want to say to them, "if you want to risk your childs life in an accident go ahead, but I'm not doing that to mine" but I don't as to not start any trouble.

All I can do is hope and pray that none of the people I have expressed my concern to have to ever face that tradegy. In the mean time though when my boys ask why they can't be in just seatbelts, I let them know that they are in the safest seats and they mean too much to me to let them wear just a seat belt. And I have to admit, when they see their friends and in just belts and question me, I tell them that if their mommy doesn't want them as safe as I want my babies then that's up to them.

So if anyone can pass along some stats on the safety I'd appreciate it. I know along with safety issues I'll be passing along our state laws.

I know I'm not going to change everyone's mind but just passing the info along will help me feel better.

Thank you!

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At seven years old, I wouldn't be concerned with getting the child back in a harness. It is just as safe for the child to be properly boostered or properly harnessed at the age.

Unfortunately, some people don't care or think that "it won't happen to them."

It sounds like you've done what you could by sending her links and videos, but she hasn't changed.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Agreed. The information you're looking for doesn't exist. There's a slight risk of submarining under 40 pounds, but at seven I wouldn't worry about it too much.

At seven and 5.5, if your boys sat well, boosters would be appropriate choices for them. There's no need to rush them out of the harness, they're not unsafe in the harnesses at all. But there are also no data to say that a harness is safer.

If your friend has seen the videos, there's nothing more you can do. Sorry.

Wendy

WhatAboutPuppy

I do agree that harnessing at 7 isn't any less safe so I'd let that one go, which it sounds like you have.
But... For the rest... Think of it this way. You spoke your mind, shared your knowledge and that child is riding safer. She is. Period. The seatbelt is no longer behind her back. That is safer, just keeping reminding yourself that you are the one that made that happen.
And move on.

Good luck with moving on fully... Please let me know if you can achieve this. I need to know how! Lol so far all I can get to is the point at which I shake my head and promise my unborn children that I am smarter and will act on my knowledge to better protect their lives. And a lot of: it is what it is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC