RSTV

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
What is the smallest/ youngest you would use and RSTV? Question is for a friend, they are going on a plane trip and then renting a car to drive an hour or do to visit family.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If I remember correctly, the manufacturer's minimum age is 3.

If the child fit the vest properly, I probably would be willing to use it for a 3 year old with the top tether for trips if for some reason my 3 year old was not going to be rear-facing anyway.

It comes with a nice head cushion thing to help with resting in the car. I'd definitely bring that along.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The old-style vest has no age minimum, but doesn't tend to fit until close to 40 lbs. I would (and have) put a close-to-40-lbs. 2 year old in it (for very limited use, not every day.) But then, it has a lockoff in the shoulder; the new-style doesn't, though I hear the wiggling ability is not as bad with the tether... Basically, I'd use it for a kid who has outgrown RF or is old enough that I'm ok with part-time FF, as long as it secured them enough that they couldn't wiggle, and it's a good fit.

macmomma

I gotta follow this thread:eek:

Oh my- 40lbs minimum???
We are going to Europe next yr for my moms 70th birthday... I was hoping to purchase 2 small vests (can they be used on airplanes too?) for traveling. I real can't/ don't want to take car seats since I will be flying alone and also have to take the train from Frankfurt to my mom's house. Two kids, luggage and car seats- no way:(

InternationalMama

I gotta follow this thread:eek:

Oh my- 40lbs minimum???
We are going to Europe next yr for my moms 70th birthday... I was hoping to purchase 2 small vests (can they be used on airplanes too?) for traveling. I real can't/ don't want to take car seats since I will be flying alone and also have to take the train from Frankfurt to my mom's house. Two kids, luggage and car seats- no way:(

The new vests have a 30 lbs minimum and fit smaller kids better than the old vests, but they also have the 3 year age limit, which the old one didn't have.

They can't be used on the plane. You could consider a CARES harness for the plane, but I think the official stated height limit on that is 40 inches. So they may not overlap much in the size of child they work for.

ETA: But remember in Germany the car isn't going to have a top tether. (Not sure why that is desired, but since two posters above mentioned they would want it I thought I would point that out.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The actual, technical minimum on the older vests is 35 lbs. and one year. It's just that most kids, depending on shape, won't actually fit properly until between 37 and 40 lbs.

macmomma

Oh my! my then 5 yr old might will fit in it by then but not my then 3 yr old:( Gosh- not sure what to do then-rats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC