Please help this adoptive mama traveling to China

ADS

CarSeatPoncho

Tiffany,

I can't even think of a solution, but here is the link to the adoption board at ovusoft.com. It's pretty active, so maybe someone there has some experience with Chinese transportation. I am not a registered user so I could not post a response.

Sorry to ask you, but if you get a chance maybe you could send her this link?

http://forums.ovusoft.com/tt.asp?appid=27

Thanks. Hope this helps.
Donna

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
:thumbsdown: I will reply there too, but there really is not a good answer. We travelled to China to adopt our daughter in February 2006. We did not see a seatbelt on any bus or taxi in the cities we travelled. You do not have much say in the transportation either, as you will need to be certain places at certain times and can't wait around looking for a different taxi, etc. that might have seatbelts. The busses are arranged through the agency and probably won't have belts either. We sometimes had our daughter in a hip carrier on the bus and sometimes just held her. It was freaky for our older kids also - no seatbelts, no booster seats, etc. The whole experience is so out of the norm. I hated not having the kids restrained, but there really was not another option.:thumbsdown:
Renee

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thank you both :) I'm going to suggest a Scenera/Uptown for use with a GogoKidz anyway + maybe the new CARES vest :eek: I remember a thread here in the past talking about visiting India where a bunch of techs suggested babies ride in slings & bigger kids sit crouched on the floor :confused: & I'll pass that link along....

broken4u05

She said 8-18 months old and on the small side right? maybe a safeseat. She would have something to carry the child around in and if there was a belt in the car to use it. I am not sure it is just an idea

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I was thinking SS1.... 8-12 month old it'd probably work great, but not for too much longer. If it's an 18 month old, though, it may not work at all so I doubt she'd want to lug it :eek:

cheerbop

:thumbsdown: I will reply there too, but there really is not a good answer. We travelled to China to adopt our daughter in February 2006. We did not see a seatbelt on any bus or taxi in the cities we travelled. You do not have much say in the transportation either, as you will need to be certain places at certain times and can't wait around looking for a different taxi, etc. that might have seatbelts. The busses are arranged through the agency and probably won't have belts either. We sometimes had our daughter in a hip carrier on the bus and sometimes just held her. It was freaky for our older kids also - no seatbelts, no booster seats, etc. The whole experience is so out of the norm. I hated not having the kids restrained, but there really was not another option.:thumbsdown:
Renee

This is what I heard. We are just getting ready to start the paperwork chase of this process of adopting in China. We were told the same things about car seats, etc. That there really is no way to use a seat while there. Maybe things will change by the time we get there, but this is info I have gotten from many China adoption parents, the most recent who just returned in June.

I myself would love to know if ther is a way to use a car seat while in China. If anyone on here has any more current info than the poster above or what I have heard, please post!!!:)

broken4u05

Yeah, I was thinking SS1.... 8-12 month old it'd probably work great, but not for too much longer. If it's an 18 month old, though, it may not work at all so I doubt she'd want to lug it :eek:

But if the baby really is small it might just work. Jack is almost 20 months and 20 pounds so small and he has about 2 inches above his head. And if it is the only thing that would work i would buy it just to use it there

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Update

She has the SS1 & her son might still fit it then, but she doesn't really want to bring it. She mentioned the Baby B'air.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
But if the baby really is small it might just work. Jack is almost 20 months and 20 pounds so small and he has about 2 inches above his head. And if it is the only thing that would work i would buy it just to use it there

Actually, my 26 month old (adopted from China) is super tiny and still fits in the Safeseat 1, with a little room to grow. But, not all Chinese are as tiny as mine. I am super carseat freak with my kids, but there was not an option for seatbelts. My parents and BIL/SIL travelled last month to bring home my neice from China and there still are not seatbelts in most vehicles.
Renee

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC