How would you approach...

Cath3114

Someone you barely know who is boostering their 23m old, and has been since 17m? Seat looks to be an Evenflo Big Kid, based on her FB pics.

The only 2 times I've approached someone about seats, they've been really nasty, despite me being as nice as possible. So I don't have a good track record and it makes me nervous :/

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Send them here?

You can say something like, "I thought the booster seat was made for older or bigger kids, but I might be wrong." Then give them the url for here and suggest that they can ask a question if they want to make sure their baby is safe in the car.

creideamh

If they've been mean to you in the past, I'd delete her as a FB friend. You can try to fix ignorant, but you can't fix stupid. ;) Poor baby.

gagenivy

I totally feel your pain. Any sort of confrontation makes my stomach hurt. I would send her a PM and say something along the lines of, 'my friends all call me car seat anal so I am so sorry if I offend but I was noticing your pics and I think your baby would do so much better in a different seat...'

Cath3114

creideamh said:
If they've been mean to you in the past, I'd delete her as a FB friend. You can try to fix ignorant, but you can't fix stupid. ;) Poor baby.

SHE hasn't ever been rude to me...I meant other moms I've approached. I'm still debating if I want to say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

misstj9

The times that I've approched somone based on FB pictures, I've made a point to do a few things.

1. Private contact (personal FB message) vs calling them out in public-so they don't feel like they look stupid in front of their friends.

2. Point out the errors that I made in car seat usage with my own kids. Like turning my DS FF at 18 pounds just because he was 1 year old etc. Just to point out that I'm not perfect and that I've made mistakes but learned from them too.

Hope that helps!! :)

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
I would definitely speak up. I'd rather risk a parent getting pissed at me than to keep my mouth shut and have something happen. Maybe try to find some good, reputable sources to site, if your state has a proper useage clause maybe relay that information. Trying to relate to the parent by offering examples of when you have made car seat mistakes in the past and/or explain that the vast majority of parents make child passenger safety errors. Even if they do not listen to you, at least you tried and gave her important information. I became a "car seat crazy" because an on-line aquaintance spoke up when my son was a baby, and I am very thankful that she stuck her nose in my business. Good luck!

NikoTroi

Maybe you can post a link to a video on youtube and tag all of your mommy friends on it and say something like, "I'm passing this along to you in hopes that it will help someone". If you pass it to everyone, then she won't feel singled out. When I try to get my point across I use [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDnBO76RFM&list=FLEjaASdHSEk8mxJwktszDFw&index=10"]this video[/ame].

I have used that video many times and usually get positive reponses from families who do use car seats the right way.

Jamie*

I try to be really overly nice and add in links to show/back up what i'm saying. I also point out what mistakes i've made too, like someone else suggested.

Evolily

Hi Facebook Friend,

I just saw a picture of your DC, he/she is so cute! I noticed that she was in a booster, I went to a police department/fire department seat check when my DC was younger and they told me that the earliest they can be in a booster without a harness was 4 and 40 lbs. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass that on. I can't be he/she is getting so big!

-Name

That is the sort of reply I would give.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC