Question New HB or Amp

mlohry

My 7.2 year old, Mitch is outgrowing the HB version of the TB. He is starting to come out of position because I think he's getting to tall for the HB. He sits 3rd row of our Ody and usually on the passenger side. I really don't like the TB for a regular booster, so if he doesn't need a high back any longer, I would get him an Amp, which I love for my older DS. Mitch has sat in the Amp quite a few times when brother isn't with us and I have posted pics and it's a great fit.

My only apprehension on getting Mitch an Amp is that he's only 7 and my oldest went in the Amp closer to 8. Also, I am not crazy about the head rests in the 3rd row. The 2nd row ones just seem better. It's not an option for Mitch to go 2nd row as he fights with my DD, which is distracting.

Anyway, should I get a higher HB booster like the SGL or just go with the Amp. I also have issues with HB boosters working in that 3rd row with the shoulder belt most hang up the seat belt, which is frustrating.

ADS

NVMBR02

My personal minimum for a nbb is 8. DD1 (7.9) has been begging for a nbb and since she doesn't sleep in the car very often anymore (she will fall asleep if we are in the car for 4+ hours). I have told her that we will try a nbb in the spring, provided the seat belt fits well with a nbb once we get our new vehicle. I will have plenty of hbb around though, so we can use one of those if we are on a longer trip where she may fall asleep.

For a 7.2 year old I would want to have a hbb that fits, in the event I needed it.

Kat_Momof3

when they outgrow the turbo or similar height booster, I'm comfortable with a backless, unless they need the sleep support AND a taller highback booster is both affordable and will fit the vehicle.

for Damian, that still meant him going backless by 7, but he's a giant.

even with Jeffrey, with his torso, we were getting there at about age 7-7.5yrs.

if he's not a car sleeper, I'd go ahead and let him go backless, but if he does sleep in the car (or if you don't have a newer vehicle with side curtain airbags), I'd consider a taller highback booster like the SK Monterey, Recaro Vivo/Probooster, or the Britax Parkway SG/SGL

mlohry

Thanks for the help. He rarely sleeps in the car and we do have side air bags in our van. I wouldn't consider no backs if we didn't have the side air bags. Maybe I will get him an Amp for everyday and use our GN or the HB TB for times of a long drive. He still fits in the HB TB, but I don't think he will make it to 8. He has outgrown seats faster than my oldest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC