Are there any seats with minimum 30# for FF?

hedgefun

I was talking to SIL the other day and she happened to mention, "Based on her [my niece's] weight she should still be RF, but she's so tall. The minimum is 30# on the seat I have for FF, but she's only 24#. But I turned her anyway because of her height. It just looked so uncomfortable for her." I asked if she was sure the minimum for FF was 30# or if she was just referring to the recommended practice of RF'ing to the RF limit on the seat. In my mind, it would be more likely to be the latter, but she swore up and down that the FF minimum of the seat was 30#. I asked her what seat she could have so I could research more. She said she thinks it's an Evenflo, but she's not sure what seat it is. I know it's a convertible and not a combination or booster. I also know she got the seat new at her baby shower before my niece was born. I looked on the Evenflo website and unless I missed something there are no seats with a 30# FF minimum. So this leaves me wondering... does anyone know if there are harnessed seats (convertibles specifically) out there with a 30# minimum for FF? I didn't think so, but I thought I'd come poll the experts.

First I want to make sure I have my facts right, because if it is possible that her seat has a 30# minimum for FF I want to encourage her to get a new seat if she won't re-RF. I could probably convince her to get a new seat before I could convince her to re-RF, but I will present both choices. But, I'm doubting that her seat has the 30# min to begin with...

In case anyone is wondering, the child is 3.5y.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

MomToEliEm

I wonder if she has an older Evenflo Tribute or Triumph which had a rearfacing limit up to 30 pounds. They allowed forward facing starting at 20 pounds. Maybe she is reading the label which says rearface from 5-30 pounds, and didn't notice that there was a different range (20-40 pounds) for forward facing. She may want to check when her seat was made to ensure the seat isn't expired.

I am not aware of any convertible seats with a minimum forward facing limit of 30 pounds.

henrietta

Until pretty recently, the Evenflo Tribute convertible rear-faced only to 30 lbs (We have one from '07). The Graco Comfort Sport also only goes to 30 lbs rearfacing. So, I too am wondering if she has one of these seats and just misunderstood the wording of the labels or manual.

How old is your niece? She may be very tall and thin at 24 lbs and no longer fit in a seat like that rearfacing....neither of my boys fit in those seats rearfacing by height at very young ages. They aren't that tall, esp the Comfort Sport.

GL!

henrietta

hedgefun

henrietta said:
Until pretty recently, the Evenflo Tribute convertible rear-faced only to 30 lbs (We have one from '07). The Graco Comfort Sport also only goes to 30 lbs rearfacing. So, I too am wondering if she has one of these seats and just misunderstood the wording of the labels or manual.

How old is your niece? She may be very tall and thin at 24 lbs and no longer fit in a seat like that rearfacing....neither of my boys fit in those seats rearfacing by height at very young ages. They aren't that tall, esp the Comfort Sport.

GL!

henrietta

She's 3.5. She is tallish, but most of her height is in her legs. Her shoulders are below the 2nd (counting from bottom) slots on the Nautilus... that's the most accuate height "measurement" I have, sorry! Honestly I'm not concerned with her FF as long as she meets the minimum weight of the seat, which it seems that the would. I was pretty sure SIL was misinterpreting the labels. I'm going to take a peek next time I'm over and check the expiration.

Thanks henrietta and everyone else! :)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have a Titan that also only RF to 30 pounds. It still has just over a year left too so that's entirely possible. At 3.5, she's totally fine to FF. Kudos to her for RF past 2 and even up to 3! Now just check the expiration and fit FF and encourage a new seat when it's needed. There's no reason to replace it if it still fits & isn't expired. Maybe she could get "this cute new pink seat" for Christmas :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC