Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

HBB in checked bags?

I am traveling alone with two kids soon and trying to figure out the easiest car seat configuration so I have to shlep the least amount! I think I'll bring one travel vest and one HBB (Turbobooster). Neither of my kids has a tall enough torso height for a backless booster. In any event - when we bring car seats we do not check them because I fear them being broken or having some sort of damage that makes them unsafe. No biggie, DS sits in his on the plane. But . . . I can't have a kid sit in a HBB on a plane so i'd need to check it. Is there a good way to check it and keep it in one piece? Do I still have to worry about unseen damage with the HBB? I mean, as long as the seatbelt is properly routed that's all that matters, right? Just trying to decide whether to bring a carseat and vest or booster and vest, and I'd rather bring the booster. Thanks for any insight!
    Mom to DD(7), 50", 55 lbs. (HB Turbobooster) and DS(6), 46", 40 lbs., (HB Turbobooster)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Why not check the back portion in a suitcase and bring the booster portion on in a carryon bag?

CPS Fanatic

Re: HBB in checked bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
    Why not check the back portion in a suitcase and bring the booster portion on in a carryon bag?
    This was my plan this summer when we were traveling. If you have space for it, this is a good plan.

However, it wasn't working for us because we found the hbb portion took up too much space in our suitcases. I was trying to only use 2 checked suitcases for a three week trip for four people and we needed the space for our stuff.

We ended up putting the backs to two turboboosters in a Radian box and checked the box. I decide that was the best way to protect the backs. We carried on the nbb.

Melanie

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

What about using the shoulder clip that came with the Turbo to adjust the shoulder belt, and bringing just the backless?

Alternatively, a backless Turbo with the armrests removed (and brought with, but just not sticking up) will fit with four days worth of clothes for three people I just discovered. What about packing the bottom and putting the back in the overhead? Don't forget a screwdriver to screw the screws back into the arms when you get to your destination.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

You gotten plenty of good ideas so far. I made my kids carry their boosters through the airport, so it wasn't a hassle for me (the one time we took a hbb, I packed the back in our regular luggage).

I do want to address this:

In any event - when we bring car seats we do not check them because I fear them being broken or having some sort of damage that makes them unsafe. No biggie, DS sits in his on the plane.
    No booster--highback or backless--can be used on an airplane seat. It increases head excursion to be boosted up and there are only lap belts on a commercial plane. The best place to put it is under the seat in front of the child or in the overhead bin (I prefer under the seat in front so it doesn't get smashed by other passengers).

Carseat Crazy

On a technicality, it can be used on U.S. aircraft in the air. That means, if your kid wants to see the movie better or see out the window, you can use it, as long as it's not during take-off and landing.
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Carseat Crazy

Thanks for all the replies! Hmm . . . I didn't realize there was a shoulder belt clip - do you remove it from the HB or is it a separate piece? I don't recall ever seeing it. Will have to look into that and how it works.

Thanks!
    Mom to DD(7), 50", 55 lbs. (HB Turbobooster) and DS(6), 46", 40 lbs., (HB Turbobooster)

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar
    It comes in a little baggie in the box.
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785