Booster with a lap belt?!

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Quoted from here. http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/child_restraints/options.html

Belt-positioning booster seats are designed to be used in rear seats with vehicles' lap/shoulder belts. Most booster seat instruction manuals say you should not use the booster with a lap belt only. This is because lap belts alone still allow your child's upper body to move, so they do not protect the head and chest as well as the combination of lap/shoulder belts. Always put your child in the rear seat with lap/shoulder belts if available. However, if your only choice is to use a lap belt alone, you still should put your child in a booster seat unless the lap belt fits well by itself.

Brianna

I wish they would have mentioned a zombie attack, and not just offering to give a ride to too many children at once when you have other options.

aetj81

Brianna said:
I wish they would have mentioned a zombie attack, and not just offering to give a ride to too many children at once when you have other options.

Wish I could like this comment! Made me smile on my gloomy crazy day lol!

Sent from my LS670 using Car-Seat.Org

Ladyl

Wish I could like this comment! Made me smile on my gloomy crazy day lol!

Sent from my LS670 using Car-Seat.Org

We don't have a "like" system here, but you can always Thank (thumbs up button on the right) or Rep (scales on the left) if you like what someone says!:)

ETA: I lied. You can like threads and it's linked to Facebook, but reping and thanking adds to people's reputation here, so I think that's perfered.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Sometimes there are no good, safe options. I'd pick a properly positioned lap belt over a poorly positioned lap belt, if a child had to ride in a lap belt. I'm a little uncomfortable with telling parents to go against manufacturer directions, but I'm not all that horrified by the recommendation itself.

Brianna

Sometimes there are no good, safe options. I'd pick a properly positioned lap belt over a poorly positioned lap belt, if a child had to ride in a lap belt. I'm a little uncomfortable with telling parents to go against manufacturer directions, but I'm not all that horrified by the recommendation itself.

:yeahthat: but a preface would have been nice- something to the effect of "if at all possible, use with only a harnessed seat" or "the oldest child should ride in the lap belt position" <--- would that be preferred?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC