Covering up a buckled seatbelt buckle?

Holly

I had Abby's radian buckled in the van before yesterday but I was worried about it being unbuckled on accident (it happened once before but I don't think that time was an accident).
Her seat had regular latch but Josh's had super latch so I swapped the covers and put the super latch seat in for her.
I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with the super latch though and I think I want to switch back to seat belt install.

Sometimes I drive a 10 year old girl to or from school and she likes to sit in the back between the girls, so I want to cover Abby's buckled buckle stalk so it's not accidentally pushed.
I was thinking of cutting the toes off an old sock, but I don't know if that would be too loose and just fall down. Someone mentioned a baby leg recently, I don't have any of those, how tight are they? Do they stay up?
Where is the cheapest place to get some? I only need one, by the time Josh is too heavy for the old style latch, Abby will be in a booster and I can use the same baby leg to cover his buckled seatbelt.
Or other ideas for covering it up?

ADS

christineka

The regular latch and your van's latch can go up to 48 pounds, so if you like regular latch better, you may as well switch the seats back.

As for unbuckling, I'd say it wouldn't be likely since the 10 yo would be buckling and unbuckling on the opposite side of Abby's seat. You can put some rough sticky velcro on the release button and that way a person would really have to try to unbuckle the seatbelt.

T4K

Toes cut off of a sock and babylegs are essentially the same.
You can try a paper towel roll or a toilet paper roll. Even if it becomes flimsy over time it will still serve as a reminder.

Holly

The regular latch and your van's latch can go up to 48 pounds, so if you like regular latch better, you may as well switch the seats back.

I thought the regular latch limit was 40 lbs?
She weighs 43 lbs, I just weighed her the other day.
Is it possible to get another old latch strap from Diono? I really like having Josh Latched in too because his seat is more upright than it is with the seatbelt and because for the past 2 days I've also given a ride to a 6 year old and she's been riding in a literider in the middle seat right next to Josh and I don't want him unbuckled on accident either. Hannah accidentally unbuckled him the day after we got the van when she was riding in the middle seat.

jsta1005

If you reinstall with the seatbelt can you flip the buckle one half turn so the button is on the inside? That's my go to when installing with a chance of unbuckling!

Holly

If you reinstall with the seatbelt can you flip the buckle one half turn so the button is on the inside? That's my go to when installing with a chance of unbuckling!

I can't in that position, the buckle stalk is fixed and can't move. It's also the kind of buckle that pushes from the top, not the side so turning wouldn't help anyway. Good idea though!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I thought the regular latch limit was 40 lbs?
She weighs 43 lbs, I just weighed her the other day.
Is it possible to get another old latch strap from Diono? I really like having Josh Latched in too because his seat is more upright than it is with the seatbelt and because for the past 2 days I've also given a ride to a 6 year old and she's been riding in a literider in the middle seat right next to Josh and I don't want him unbuckled on accident either. Hannah accidentally unbuckled him the day after we got the van when she was riding in the middle seat.

On the LATCH limit question, you can LATCH either of your Radians up to 48 lbs. in your van because the non-SL/regular Radian's lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit is 48 lbs. (weight of the child) per Sunshine Kids/Diono, and it's also 48 lbs. for Radian SuperLATCH (SL) models in vehicles manufactured before Sept. 2005 such as your 2005 Sienna. Toyota states to follow the carseat manufacturer's instructions regarding LATCH weight limits.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Covering it would bother me...I would be worried that it would be harder to see if it was unbuckled. But that's me.

The cardboard tube sounds like it would work the best.

Pixels

I can't in that position, the buckle stalk is fixed and can't move. It's also the kind of buckle that pushes from the top, not the side so turning wouldn't help anyway. Good idea though!

When I install with seatbelt, I flip the female buckle before buckling. My release button is on the top. Flipping it places the button between the male buckle and the child restraint, so you definitely have to make an effort to get a finger between the two to unbuckle. It is enough of a deterrent for my DD, who otherwise likes to push the big red button.

christineka

When I install with seatbelt, I flip the female buckle before buckling. My release button is on the top. Flipping it places the button between the male buckle and the child restraint, so you definitely have to make an effort to get a finger between the two to unbuckle. It is enough of a deterrent for my DD, who otherwise likes to push the big red button.

The buckle stalks in the middle row are inflexible, so they can't be turned backward anyway.

Holly

Jeanum said:
On the LATCH limit question, you can LATCH either of your Radians up to 48 lbs. in your van because the non-SL/regular Radian's lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit is 48 lbs. (weight of the child) per Sunshine Kids/Diono, and it's also 48 lbs. for Radian SuperLATCH (SL) models in vehicles manufactured before Sept. 2005 such as your 2005 Sienna. Toyota states to follow the carseat manufacturer's instructions regarding LATCH weight limits.

Thanks! I was thinking only superlatch was higher than 40 lbs! I emailed diono about getting another old style latch strap if they have any, but haven't heard anything yet. I have the old style latch on my oldest radian too but that seat is going to my friend for her son. She probably won't install with latch though, if she doesn't, maybe I can use that strap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC