A couple awesome visuals from the Car Seat Lady

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Have these been posted yet? I really love both of them.

294246_10150350612657454_129649842453_8143743_1480549861_n.jpg

301261_10150348551332454_129649842453_8135058_267000006_n.jpg

4'9" is the 95th percentile for 9 year olds, 50th percentile for 11 year olds, and 5th percentile for 13 year olds.

ADS

Keeanh

Thanks! Those are great. And, funnily enough, I was just wracking my brain last night trying to remember what the "5" steps are because I came up with 6, LOL. My son is the youngest on his hockey team -- he turns 9 in December so most of his team is already 9 or 10. There are quite a few who are smaller than he is (he's 4'5"), and I'm sure all but 1 or 2 are under 4'9", yet not a single one is in a booster because they've reached the magic age of 9.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Love those pics, they are really good and simple.

And, funnily enough, I was just wracking my brain last night trying to remember what the "5" steps are because I came up with 6, LOL.
I use 6 steps, feet flat on the floor is my 6th (and lots of other folks here too).
Without the 6th step I find they can't meet step 5. LOL Because their legs are having, they tend to creep forward until their feet touch the floor and then they are out of position. Step 6 enables them to meet step 5 IMO. So feet flat on the floor should be step 5, and then step 6 should be "stay this way the whole trip". :D

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Love those pics, they are really good and simple.

I use 6 steps, feet flat on the floor is my 6th (and lots of other folks here too).
Without the 6th step I find they can't meet step 5. LOL Because their legs are having, they tend to creep forward until their feet touch the floor and then they are out of position. Step 6 enables them to meet step 5 IMO. So feet flat on the floor should be step 5, and then step 6 should be "stay this way the whole trip". :D

I wish I had more opportunities to talk about 5-stepping with parents! Usually the ones I get to talk about it with are already doing it right, most parents assume that they don't need to talk about "just a booster" with a CPST so the only time I really see them is when I'm working with younger siblings seats and volunteer booster information!

morninglori

Aren't we missing the step that requires head support?

What I know is:
1: Sit with back and hips against the vehicle seat without slouching
2: Bend knees easily over the front edge
3: Safely wear the seatbelt (proper lap and shoulder belt position)
4: Use properly adjusted head support
5: Stay in position the entire ride.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Aren't we missing the step that requires head support?

What I know is:
1: Sit with back and hips against the vehicle seat without slouching
2: Bend knees easily over the front edge
3: Safely wear the seatbelt (proper lap and shoulder belt position)
4: Use properly adjusted head support
5: Stay in position the entire ride.

I always use this, I've never heard head support added to the list! - http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Brianna

Gah! Can't get on FB at work either. Guess I'll have to check when I get home and don't have all sort of blocks on my computer. Thanks!

morninglori

I always use this, I've never heard head support added to the list! - http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Just checked my student manual and the head support was one of the five bullets on the slide from my tech class titled "Seat Belts Can Be Used When Children Can". It didn't directly call it the 5-step test, but that's what I thought it was referring to.

christineka

Just checked my student manual and the head support was one of the five bullets on the slide from my tech class titled "Seat Belts Can Be Used When Children Can". It didn't directly call it the 5-step test, but that's what I thought it was referring to.

A seatbelted kid does need head support, but if they don't the kid can't be in a backless booster either. If the kid is too tall for a high back booster and there are no locations will head support, what do you do?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Head support is ideal for safety. But it's not a deal-breaker when there are tough choices to be made. Some cars don't have it and that's that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC