Question 3 across in Jeep Liberty?

E

ellesgould

My husby & I just discovered that we're expecting our 3rd (surprise) baby. A new car is out of the question since we just have one income, and I was not impressed with any of the used cars we have looked at. So now I need some help from you guys!

I drive a 2004 Jeep Liberty, and I currently have my 3 year old FF in a (very wide) First Years True Fit, my 8 month daughter is RF in a True Fit. If I get a Radian RXT, will all three fit across in my vehicle? Or would I be better off getting 2 (or possibly even 3) Radians?

My husband drives an older Jeep Grand Cherokee (not sure of the year) and he also has two True Fits for our kids. Since his vehicle is much wider than mine, do you think we can fit another True Fit in it or should we get a Radian for the third seat? Or, jeez, am I completely wrong and we would need two Radians in his?

Obviously, with both vehicles we would have one FF and two RF.

Thanks for the help!

ADS

Chely7425

Hi there! I think in the grand Cherokee you will be ok with 1 or 2 radians, but you are going to need all new seats for the liberty :) luckily the radians install very easily and you can brace since you don't have advanced airbags. However you are going to have a hard time getting a newborn recline, would you be open to a smaller convertible like a combi coccoro for the baby? 2 radians and a coccoro should be a very nice fit in your liberty and once you get those radians you could play around in your husbands car to see what fits and what you need :)

it may appear that I do not have a firm grasp of the English language... blame my iPhone

E

ellesgould

I was hoping not to have to get an infant carrier because we tend to not use them a lot. I'm a baby wearer, so I always take the infant out of the seat to put in the sling when going out, rather than putting a car carrier in a shopping cart or stroller. But...you never know, that might change when #3 comes along, too!

Thanks for the feedback!

Chely7425

The Coccoro is actually a convertible (not an infant seat) it's just nice and small front to back and fits newborns really well :) I would do RFing RN passenger side/Coccoro RFing center for the baby/FFing radian outboard driver for your oldest. If you decide you want an infant seat (I loved having one because I could buckle the baby before putting him in the center in our Liberty 3 across) the KF works amazing.

Chely7425

No problem!! I have done tons of combos in my Jeep so I'm glad to answer any other questions :) I have the new body style now (2010) but owned an old body style (2003) before this... I love my Jeeps! I'm not always the best at remembering to check threads but you can PM me anytime if you need anything :)

E

ellesgould

Ok, I was talking to my husby about it all and he said that he would rather have an infant carrier so that we could use it easier with our Baby Jogger City Select. We had originally intended to use the bassinet for the BJCS, but the positions for two kids w/ a bassinet are very, very limited, and we want the baby in the top seat instead of the bottom.

Anyway, I know that the Chicco Keyfit was recommended, but how would the Maxi-Cosi Micro work? Is it any smaller than the Keyfit? If we go the infant carrier route, when #3 outgrows it, will we still have to find another seat to replace it with before we can put the three Radians in? Then at what point will we be able to have three Radians? Or is there another brand of convertible car seat that I should be looking for? Should we realistically go back to looking for a new SUV for me? I was NOT impressed with any of the ones with 3rd row seating that were in our price range.

Jeez, this is all so overwhelming!

Chely7425

I know it's overwhelming, but don't worry!! No, skip the Mico, pain in the butt. Either the Keyfit or the Onboard Air 35 by Safety First are going to be your best bets. The Onboard will last a big longer since it has a taller shell, but I love my keyfit so that's totally your call :) Once the baby outgrows the infant seat you will be fine to do 3 radians since the baby won't need a newborn recline.

Realistically, yes.. you are going to need a new SUV/Van/something in about 3 years. Once your oldest outgrows the Radian you are going to have issues fitting anything else in there. But, that is plenty of time to save and shop around for something that fits your needs and budget so don't stress about that yet :)

E

ellesgould

I looked at the Safety First Air carrier, and I liked that it was longer. My son was always short and chunkier as a baby but my daughter, well, she's 8 months and still wearing 3-6 months clothes. So I have no good guess as to what the next baby will be like.

Will both of those infant carriers fit with the base, or just the carrier? Unfortunately, we don't have anywhere around here with Radians to test out, so I think that's part of the reason why I'm getting so stressed out about it.

In 3 or so years we'll (hopefully) be in a much better position to be able to afford another car. Right now, I'm on unemployment from a lay off in February (that happened the week before my daughter was born), so I'm using this time being unemployed to return back to school to finish my degree - which I should have done in about 2.5 years.

Thanks again so much for your help!

Chely7425

Yes both will fit with the base :) You'll have to play around with what seat where but the 2 I would try first would be infant seat (drivers)/FFing radian (center)/RFing radian (passenger) OR FFing RN/infant seat/RFing radian. The first is nice because it is easier for your oldest to climb in past the infant seat base, but the second is nice because you can buckle the baby first then put the seat in. The infant seat may not fit behind the driver though depending how tall you guys are :) Jeeps and radians play VERY well together so try not to stress out!!

E

ellesgould

You have been so helpful, thank you so much! I think my fears and anxiety are quelled for now, but if they arise again, I'll be back! =)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC