Question 9 month old is 22 lbs and the rear facing limit is 30 lbs front or rear facing?

Okay so my 9 month old daughter is 29 1/2 in tall and is at least 22 lbs if not more since she was weighted a few weeks ago, and the limit for rear facing on my convertible car seat is 30 lbs, so she is getting pretty big for a 9 month old. i have big kids my first daughter was front facing at 11 months because she was so tall that she legs were pushing on the back of the seat and was crying because she was so uncomfortable no she is not one of those toddlers that like to cross there legs she sits with them straight out. anyway my question is if she reacts the limit before she is one should i front face her?

ADS

NannyMom

Hi, welcome to car-seat.org!
What car seat do you have? Children should be rear facing for at least 2 years. Babies tend to slow down in weight gain between 9 and 15 months, when they start walking. I'm sure your daughter will make it a long time before she reaches 30 pounds. You should most certainly NOT turn her forward facing before 1 year. If she were to reach the 30 pounds, you should buy another seat. if money is an issue, there are some Cosco Sceneras that rear face to 40 pounds for $40-50. The toddlers can sit with their legs straight out, but walk them up the seatback.

ETA: If Canadiangie is right, my pricing is off as I'm in the US.

tanusscott22

No, no, no. The law states (at least Wisconsin law) that a child MUST be at least 20 pounds (which your child already is) AND 1 year of age (which you child in NOT) before you can even think about forward facing her.

Also the new recommendations say to rear face children until at least age two. Rear facing until age two is not a law but is far safer for your child. However, the 1 year and 20 requirement is law, so if your daughter out grows the weight limit of her seat before she reaches 1 year old you will either have to buy a convertible seat (one the can be installed forward facing or rear facing) or not transport her until her birthday.

Please remember that the laws are in place for the safety of your child and not to make your life difficult. Please consider getting a convertible seat and at least try to keep your child rear facing until age 2. Every child is different and your younger child may not mind being rear facing. Especially if she has your older child to look at and play with. Good luck:)

canadiangie

Hi, welcome to car-seat.org!
What car seat do you have? Children should be rear facing for at least 2 years. Babies tend to slow down in weight gain between 9 and 15 months, when they start walking. I'm sure your daughter will make it a long time before she reaches 30 pounds. You should most certainly NOT turn her forward facing before 1 year. If she were to reach the 30 pounds, you should buy another seat. if money is an issue, there are some Cosco Sceneras that rear face to 40 pounds for $40-50. The toddlers can sit with their legs straight out, but walk them up the seatback.

ETA: If Canadiangie is right, my pricing is off as I'm in the US.

Do Momentum's only RF to 30lbs in the US too?

beetlemama

I would definitely get a convertible with a higher RF weight limit if yours has a 30 lb RF limit. My daughter is 2y 3m and still happily RF. In fact, she rides FF in MILs car because MIL doesn't have a seat to accommodate RFing and she absolutely hates it. They figure out what to do with their legs and car safety isn't something they can decide on.

Kat_Momof3

I promise you... she's not crying in discomfort (unless she has a true leg problem... my dd did... she intoes... and it stems from her hips... and the muscles on the insides of her legs being super tight and the ones on the outside being loose... and trust me, she didn't cry... it was a blood-curdling SCREAM... by adjusting the install, we made her more comfortable until she was able to throw her legs over the side... she couldn't comfortably sit criss-cross applesauce until last year... lots of leg stretching exercises started at birth got us there)

but let's help you figure out why she is unhappy.

what vehicle are you driving? what carseat is she in? where is it installed? how is it installed? can you take a pic of the installation from the side of the vehicle? (so we can see the recline angle)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC