Autism Commercial

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
while it seems to downplay carseat safety (however she does seem to do well with the seat) i think it really shows just how prevalent autism is. i personally dont have a problem with it

elle7715

They ran ads in magazines a few months ago too. I think they have the right idea...they're trying to call attention to how common autism is but how (most) people go to such lengths to prevent something not nearly as commom. But in my opinion they should NOT use car seats as an example. Instead of emphasizing autism it's just downplaying the need for car seat safety. How many people are going to see this and think "What are the odds? Why bother with car seats, boosters, seat belts, etc."

supercrunch

I did see that on tv a time or two and I didn't see it as downplaying car safety at all.

I think it made a pretty good point.

People really don't realize how prevalent autism is until it comes into their life in one way or another.

arly1983

Be glad your sound was off, it made autistic kids sound like they are mentally retarded and the only thing people could do for them for was be understanding and overlook them...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
There's an Autism Speaks radio commercial that also down plays the car seat issue. It has a girl talking and she says something about "that fancy car seat for big girls like me" and then has the voice over about the odds of a car crash vs the odds of being diagnosed w/ Autism.

It should say, odds of being in a fatal car crash: 1:23,000. Odds of having fatal autism: a hell of a lot lower!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for figuring out what the heck is going on that all of a sudden hundreds of thousands of American kids are "coming down with" Autism Spectrum Disorders. I just think the commercial has the potential to put lives at risk by downplaying the issue of vehicle safety.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
There's an Autism Speaks radio commercial that also down plays the car seat issue. It has a girl talking and she says something about "that fancy car seat for big girls like me" and then has the voice over about the odds of a car crash vs the odds of being diagnosed w/ Autism.

It should say, odds of being in a fatal car crash: 1:23,000. Odds of having fatal autism: a hell of a lot lower!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for figuring out what the heck is going on that all of a sudden hundreds of thousands of American kids are "coming down with" Autism Spectrum Disorders. I just think the commercial has the potential to put lives at risk by downplaying the issue of vehicle safety.

:yeahthat:

Suzibeck

Agreed! The odds of being in a fatal car accident would greatly increase if so many people weren't using child restraints. I hope that people won't think using a car seat isn't important.

Morganthe

Sorry, not sure where this thread would go. But has anyone seen this commercial on TV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QivPTrtu9_Q

It just really makes me mad.

It makes me mad for another reason.... despite how caring and attentive mom was to fastening the child in, I think it was a wrong example for proper carseat usage. The Britax seat is forward facing with no HUGS installed and with a child that could be rear faced. But since I"ve never owned a Britax, I could be wrong. :shrug-shoulders: I hope so.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
It makes me mad for another reason.... despite how caring and attentive mom was to fastening the child in, I think it was a wrong example for proper carseat usage. The Britax seat is forward facing with no HUGS installed and with a child that could be rear faced. But since I"ve never owned a Britax, I could be wrong. :shrug-shoulders: I hope so.

it looks like a roundabout...which doesnt have hugs...and i dunno if that kiddo could be RFing...but it wouldve been neat ahd they used a rfing toddler as an example

skaterbabs

I totally agree.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC