09 or 10 Malibu

Cath3114

Looks like my 02 Hyundai Santa Fe has finally kicked the bucket - RIP. I was planning to buy something new (used) in January anyway, so I'm starting a few months early.

I have connections to a Chevy dealer, so I'm thinking a Malibu. They're going to market next week, so he told me to pick what I want, and he'll get it if it's there. It'll probably be a 09 or 10 model.

So what do I need to know? I see LATCH in all 3 back positions:love:, as well as 3 l/s belts, but only two headrests (are they adjustable?). Is there a TT in the middle? I don't have to worry about FF DD for awhile (14 months, 22.5 pounds, MA70), but it's possible BF's son (4y, 40 pounds, harnessed Maestro) will ride occasionally.

How does the backseat accommodate RF? Is there a place to semi-easily RF tether? Advanced airbags preventing touching the front seats?

Any other tips/thoughts/etc. appreciated!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I have an '08 Malibu, so I hope I can help with some general info. :) I'm not a tech or anything, but I think the following info is probably the same for an '09 or '10. There is a top tether in the middle. 2 of the LATCH positions overlap (driver's side and center), so they can't be used at the same time. If you use the center lower anchors, you can't use the driver's side to install a seat or for an adult passenger, even with a seatbelt.

I've done a Marathon, Boulevard, True Fit, and My Ride rear-facing without any problems. I've done a True Fit and Frontier 80 FF easily. I wasn't as big a fan of the Frontier 85 install as the True Fit and Frontier 80. My Radian XTSL overreclined when rear-facing, but I've seen other posters not have that issue with Malibus, so maybe they installed it differently or had lighter kids in it or had a Classic Model Malibu (I have a Redesigned Model, which I also don't find to be as 3 across friendly as the pictures of people posting seats in their Classic or older model Malibus do).

I haven't found a good spot to RF tether, so I didn't tether my Marathon or Boulevard RF (or the Radian, when I tried to use it). I assume it has advanced airbags, but since I was using seats that could be installed very upright RF, I didn't come across that issue.

Brianna

I :love: my 08 Malibu but I'm not fond of the center bump for installing seats. Using the middle LATCH it tips the seat more than I like. Using the seat belt center I had a hard time getting less than 1" of movement, but it was my first attempt in any car using a l/s belt with a switchable retractor. I'm in love with the trunk and my adjustable foot pedals though :)

I have a MyRide, Tribute and Evenflo infant seat if you'd like me to try any of those out.

*eta
The headrests are adjustable and removable

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC