2006 Grand Caravan Puzzling Questions!

equilibrium

We have three kids and one on the way in March. I have yet to properly measure them but here is what I know, and what we have.

2006 Grand Carvan Stow and Go

-Two middle Captain's Chairs and a third row 60/40 split stow and go with only one top tether in the middle. I am in Canada and top tethering is required.
-I am looking into the retrofit top tether part as listed in other thread to put in outboard on the /40 side third row (right side).
-I have one currently ff in a Radian 65 (he's 5, 37 pounds, and still lots of room to grow). My other is 18.5 months RF (25 lbs) in a 2010 Boulevard (both currently in middle row). Third child is 9, and 5 ft tall and out of a booster. He is 100 lbs (just over).
-The 5 and 9 year old bicker and should not be where the 5 year old can poke the 9 year old and get into arguments/grabbing eachother's stuff.
-New baby due March and currently have a Graco snugride up to 22lbs.

I am considering getting a 35 lb infant seat in case it makes it easier to get in the back of the van (longer term before a convertible) if I install in middle row Captain's chair.

I consider moving my 5 year old in the Radian to the outboard third row *if* I can get the retrofit part. The only thing is that he is little and still cannot undo and buckle himself in. Either way I have to get to the backseat somehow to get him in.

I am having a c-section and it's going to be very hard to get in the back row for awhile. I've had two and have a long recovery period afterwards and almost given that I will get an infection from surgery.

Where do I place the kids for easiest access to the back and easiest places to do up?

Should I opt for the 35lb seat because it could be removed longer before trying to puzzle in two RF convertibles?

Thank you!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just bumping this up for you! Hopefully someone with the same van will have more ideas of what will work than I do.

Kaitsmom

Personally, if the Snugride puzzles with your current seats I would save the money and buy a long lasting convertible. Or you could get the 5 yr old a Maestro and pass the Radian down.

Are you trying to get 3 across on the back bench? I would put the 5 yr old where ever you have a tether on the bench, the 2 yr old on the back bench, have the 9 year old help buckle her, and the 5 yr old in. then put the baby on a captains chair and the 9 year old in a captains chair where they could help with the baby if need be.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I've done some configurations with multiples in that van and ugh it's a little tricky. Especially with that singular tether.

Here's what I would probably try first:

Snugride and 9 y/o in the captain's chairs
3rd row: 5 y/o FF Radian center, 1/5 y/o RF Blvd outboard

I *think* those seats should fit next to each other in the 3rd row. OR, if you put the Radian on the left (driver's) outboard side, that center tether is pretty far skewed to the left. I haven't measured the angle, but in my mind I think it's less than 20 degrees and therefore just fine to tether the outboard Radian to the center anchor. Then you would be able to sit in the middle seat to buckle both kids and they can't harass each other.

I would probably just stick with your 22 pound Snugride - when the baby outgrows it, shift everyone up. Your 5/6 year old should be ready for a high back booster by then, so buy a dedicated booster for him, put the then 2 year old in the Radian, and put the baby in the Blvd. I wouldn't spend the extra money on another infant seat, or even another convertible seat since you already have such great options. Moving the 5 year old to a booster when he's 6/the baby outgrows the Snugride will also help alleviate the annoying top tether issue.

I also like the Snugride in the Captian's Chair because you'll be able to use LATCH there, and not have to deal with a tippy base with a seat belt installation.

Hope that helps!

mom of six

I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan...

Do your captain's chairs "flip forward" so you can get into the back seat?

If so, if you latch the base of the SR22 into one of the captains chairs (probably passenger side) and move the front passenger seat up slightly you should be able to "flip" that seat forward with the base attached to access the kids in the back then lock the captains chair back into place and put the baby in.

A couple of years ago we had five kids in our 2003 Caravan and this is what we did it...
Rear bench: Passenger side>SR20 for DS1 (infant) , Center> FF Radian for DD3 (4), Drivers side> Turbo Booster for DD2 (6)
Captains chairs: Passenger> SR20 for DD4(twin to DS1), Driver> backless turbo for DD1 (8)

I would flip the captains seat forward to put DS1 in and help DD3 with her harness then lock the seat back into place and put DD4 in. DD1 and DD2 were both able to buckle independently. DD1 was also able to help DD3 buckle if she needed it. Our van has a 50/50 split bench so the Radian is the only seat that would work in that position.

Hope this helps.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
3rd row: 5 y/o FF Radian center, 1/5 y/o RF Blvd outboard
I *think* those seats should fit next to each other in the 3rd row. OR, if you put the Radian on the left (driver's) outboard side, that center tether is pretty far skewed to the left. I haven't measured the angle, but in my mind I think it's less than 20 degrees and therefore just fine to tether the outboard Radian to the center anchor. Then you would be able to sit in the middle seat to buckle both kids and they can't harass each other.

Don't know how I missed this...
You cannot use center seat TT for outboard, its too far...a Radian will NOT install center 3rd row :( No way, no how, no amount of bleeding or swearing...

I would honestly put Radian FF outboard 3rd row, 9 year old outboard 3rd row. 5 year old should not be able to reach 9 year old... trust me I know! LOL

The captains seats flip forward easily, really well if just a base on it (will only flip using LATCH and not seat belt obviously) Harder to do with a FF seat on there, but definitely do-able as well... it flips forward and slides toward center. Kids can get in super easily! We do this all the time to access the 3rd row :)

Pixels

What about 5yo and 2yo in the second row, 9yo and baby in the third row. 9yo can help you lift the baby's seat into the third row or you can put the baby in through the hatch.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What about 5yo and 2yo in the second row, 9yo and baby in the third row. 9yo can help you lift the baby's seat into the third row or you can put the baby in through the hatch.

It is a royal PITA to load a RF bucket thru the hatch... you almost have stand the seat up on end to start the process, then flip the baby head down to fit it between the seat top and the curved roof even if you remove all of head rests... I have tried it and HATED it, it was terrible :thumbsdown:

Especially because any day running would be without 9 y.o. (at school) and she would have to do all the work alone...

jnamommy

You are due in March...that gives the 5yr old a little bit more time to learn how to buckle and unbuckle. My own 5 yr just recently started being able to buckle and unbuckle his Radian. If your 5 yr old can learn to do this, can you put the 5 yr old and 9 year old outboard in the 3rd row....they will be far enough to not be able to touch each other. Then the 2 yr old and the newbie in the captains chairs since those would be the two you have to buckle and will be the easiest to access for you.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
5 & 9 yos can't go outboard in the 3rd row -- the 5yo is required by law to have a tether anchor.

I was going to suggest what Pixels did, but it sounds like that's a non-option.

Does the 5yo still fit in the Blvd? If so, I would try 5yo center and the 2yo RF in the Radian on whichever side it would fit on. Not sure if those two will puzzle, but I think they'd have a decent chance. If that works, I would put the baby in front of the 2yo, and the 9yo on the other side. That way you can flip the 9yo's seat forward to access the two rear seats.

Alternatively, try the 5yo center and the snugride outboard -- if they fit -- with the snugride behind the 9yo's seat. The Radian has an amazingly upright install on those captain's chairs, so you could put the toddler in easily from the door.

Option 3, if you can't swap seats -- put the two little ones RF outboard in the 3rd row. The 5yo can go in front of the 2yo, and then you can flip the 9yo's seat, load the 2yo and then click the baby in before unflipping the captain's chair.

Not sure if any of those are viable options but it doesn't seem like there are many, trying to work around the restrictions sprinkled throughout the thread, lol.

I don't think I'd get a 35lb carrier -- start with the 22 and then if you feel it would still be worth your while to have a bucket when the baby outgrows it, you can get one then.

keri1292

OK, I just have a few minutes but wanted to respond since I have the same van (I believe the 06 Town & Country is the exact same). Some of this may have been said before but I didn't have time to scan all the posts. So I apologize if it's a repeat.

I would put the 5yo FFing in the Radian in the 3rd row. The middle tether is also for the offset LATCH position.

Your 9yo being out of a booster makes the rest all relative. The belt geometry in my 06 is atrocious and my daughter who is 11 is still riding in a highback booster because the shoulder belt does not even touch her shoulder without the booster guides. She almost passes the 5 Step Test, but will never be able to sit back there. :thumbsdown: That really only leaves the middle captain's chair for the 9yo. I would prefer 3rd row, but I'm guessing even at 100lbs, he doesn't fit. I barely fit and I'm 5'10" and twice his weight. :eek:

That leaves newbie or other RF-er in the 3rd row. I would go with the older child personally. The infant bucket is a nightmare in the 3rd row in the van.

2nd row is 9yo on passenger side and newbie on drivers side. I would take the head rest off the drivers side captains chair. Stand just inside the sliders, lean over the seatback with the removed head rest and buckle the 5yo. When the 9yo isn't with you, fold the seat and sit there to buckle the 3rd row riders easily.

HTH!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
5 & 9 yos can't go outboard in the 3rd row -- the 5yo is required by law to have a tether anchor.

I missed the Canada part :eek:

Can the 5 year old go in with LATCH in the 3rd row, it is closer to the 9 year old, but still not right next to.... That would give you a TT til 48lbs

equilibrium

Hi, I missed all these responses somehow and stumbled upon it again. Yay! Thank you so much for your configurations. I have put * beside some of my questions again!

The reason I really wanted the 5 year old in Radian FF outboard 3rd row is that he can be on the side of the 40 split and I can still keep the 60 part 3rd row down until the 9 year old comes in. He is not in the van very much at all since he goes to school with his dad, etc.

But, the only thing is the dodge retrofit for a TT on the outboard position and although some have done it-it still feels kinda iffy for me plus here it's going to be at least $170 bucks and we are on a tight tight budget right now.

*If he is in the middle 3rd row with or without latch I cannot put the 60 side split seat down into the floor. (Stow and Go). I have to check if I can put the 40 down-I am not sure if that would work if a seat is in the middle? Does anyone know? I considered flipping him to RF outboard 3rd row but he gets horrid carsickness even ff...

*Now, the Radian will not install FF in the 3rd row centre? What a pain these vans are. The middle Captain's Chairs....I have never flipped them forward. The kids can climb right in right now since 5 year old Radian is in FF and it takes no room up. They climb in drivers side and just go past the seat to the middle and walk to the back. I can hardly get into the back. The 9 year old gets in the back from the trunk side :rolleyes: with the 60 split down.

The 5 year old cannot push in the buckles to his radian. Plus he is really skinny and I adjust his harness quite a bit still. He's a lightweight but he loves his seat.

*Does the Radian fit RF in the Captain's Chairs? I have yet to find my boot (we never used it) that is why I haven't figured that one out. I could try the boulevard for the 5 year old but I am really not sure if it will fit him. Perhaps the buckles are easier for him to do up himself?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Answering your questions in red withing your post :)

Hi, I missed all these responses somehow and stumbled upon it again. Yay! Thank you so much for your configurations. I have put * beside some of my questions again!

The reason I really wanted the 5 year old in Radian FF outboard 3rd row is that he can be on the side of the 40 split and I can still keep the 60 part 3rd row down until the 9 year old comes in. He is not in the van very much at all since he goes to school with his dad, etc.

But, the only thing is the dodge retrofit for a TT on the outboard position and although some have done it-it still feels kinda iffy for me plus here it's going to be at least $170 bucks and we are on a tight tight budget right now.
It has been approved by Chrysler Canada for CAMom (I think I got that right) and she is working to get it approved across the board... It is approved for the Durango, which is the exact same seat platform as the Grand Caravan/T&C 3rd row. My feeling on it is that *IF* it were to fail, it would fail AFTER it had done its job to prevent forward head excursion for my child.

*If he is in the middle 3rd row with or without latch I cannot put the 60 side split seat down into the floor. (Stow and Go). I have to check if I can put the 40 down-I am not sure if that would work if a seat is in the middle? Does anyone know? I considered flipping him to RF outboard 3rd row but he gets horrid carsickness even ff...
The 40 can go down with the 60 up, or the 60 can go down with the 40 up. As long as there isn't a car seat overhanging the line. A Complete Air in the center position overhangs and the 40 won't fold. The Radian is great RF in the 3rd row as long as you aren't looking to do a 3 across. Do you have the old or new boot? The old boot won't work, as the "feet" of the boot have to fit in between the hard plastic seat hinge covers.

*Now, the Radian will not install FF in the 3rd row centre?
No, the little box thingie that the belt comes down from the ceiling and hooks into to make it a belt interferes at the side of the seat because it is such a low belt path... you can't get it in the belt path, but with it out it creates slack that you can't get out :(

What a pain these vans are. The middle Captain's Chairs....I have never flipped them forward. The kids can climb right in right now since 5 year old Radian is in FF and it takes no room up. They climb in drivers side and just go past the seat to the middle and walk to the back. I can hardly get into the back. The 9 year old gets in the back from the trunk side :rolleyes: with the 60 split down.
If you flipped the seat that has the Radian on it, you can keep the 3rd row up all the time. This also prevents projectiles from coming forward into the vehicle cabin, that might come forward in a crash with the seat down (stroller, bags, groceries ETC)

The 5 year old cannot push in the buckles to his radian. Plus he is really skinny and I adjust his harness quite a bit still. He's a lightweight but he loves his seat.

*Does the Radian fit RF in the Captain's Chairs? I have yet to find my boot (we never used it) that is why I haven't figured that one out. I could try the boulevard for the 5 year old but I am really not sure if it will fit him. Perhaps the buckles are easier for him to do up himself?
The Radian fits awesomely upright in the captain's chairs, a newborn angle may be an issue though... MORE RF RADIAN PICS
Install the Boulevard at the top slots, and see if the 5 year old still fits (top of ears must be below seat shell, shoulders must be below top harness slot)

TT retrofit pics

Hope that helps some :)

aept

Just chiming in that I have a radian 65 installed ff with the latch in the "center" of my third row of my 2010 dgc and top tethered to the appropriate spot behind the seat. It is really slightly to the left of center and therefore leaves the third row passenger side seat unusable. The 40% side is useable and folds fine. In fact the 40% side ends up being pretty roomy even for an adult riding there. I would think you would have enough room to install your 2-year-olds rear facing seat there using the seatbelt, but I have not tried that The radian installed with latch does not get in the way of the 40% side folding.
I agree that you cannot install a radian ff in the center positon third row using the seatbelt - but mine is fine installed using latch, and if your son is skinny then the 48lb limit for latch shouldn't be a problem. (I am running out of time for my 47 lb 5-yr old, though! He has almost outgrown it at the shoulders anyhow.)

I also have a graco snugride and my kids were able to walk through past the base if we loaded in from that side of the vehicle.

equilibrium

Jourdysmom.....YOU ROCK! Even the little pictures. Love! And very very helpful thank you.

The only thing is that our van is a 2006 and the middle third row doesn't have a shoulder belt portion (ugh).

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I have an '07 T&C, so the same van as yours, basically. I got and installed the retrofit part so I now have two TA in my third row. I'm confident it would do its job and I have no problems using it.

I would put:
9 year old in the passenger captains chair
5 year old in 3rd row passenger side with the TA retrofit
RF'ing convertible for toddler in 3rd row drivers side (you can even use the RF tether hooked to the captains chair anchor if it's a Britax or Diono/SK seat)
Baby in the drivers side captains chair

If the toddler can climb into his/her seat (maybe with some assistance from an older sibling) there's enough room for me to lean in from the door and buckle. I'm short, so I actually have to stand on the edge of the cars doorway.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No, the little box thingie that the belt comes down from the ceiling and hooks into to make it a belt interferes at the side of the seat because it is such a low belt path... you can't get it in the belt path, but with it out it creates slack that you can't get out

I'm threadjacking briefly -- my apologies!!

I've, uh, made up terms to describe this, so bear with me, lol.

Is that belt one that comes down from the ceiling, one end on the retractor in the ceiling, the second end hooking into a "receptacle" on webbing on the anchor side, and then the buckle comes across to the buckle side?

If so, have you tried twisting the buckle stalk on the receptacle side to remove that slack that's prohibiting the successful Radian install? I have to do that in my Pilot, which has the type of belt described above, in the second row center position. If you haven't tried it yet, you might find that the Radian is not so incompatible.

And in the OP's case, with a lap-only belt there, it is probably NOT incompatible and will install just fine. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC